Fire blacking

Featured Posts

Whats the best product i can use to "black" the solid fuel fire on the boat?

last boat we had i used something( ive forgot the name of) and when the fire was lit we had a boat full of choking smoke! had to scrub the fire to get rid of whatever id put on, took ages to get most of it off...

last boat we had i used something( ive forgot the name of) and when the fire was lit we had a boat full of choking smoke! had to scrub the fire to get rid of whatever id put on, took ages to get most of it off...

You can get special stove paint. They sell it in most DIY shops for about £5. I think the stuff I've got is actually called "stove paint".

There are basicly two options, paint or polish

The paint (usually from Hotspot) is a high temp. matt black paint.

The polish (again usually from Hotspot), which needs applying very sparingly (you may have put it on too thickly to get that much smoke) needs doing more often, but gives a traditional satin black finish which can simply be topped up or repolished.

In both cases its worth leaving for as long as possible before lighting fire and having a gentle fire at first to make sure it dries out before you get it really hot.

I use an aerosol can of something - i think it is called "stove black". It's the stuff for the job anyway and gives a nice satin-black finish.

I am pretty sure I got it from B&Q, but it may have been a chandler.

I use an aerosol can of something - i think it is called "stove black". It's the stuff for the job anyway and gives a nice satin-black finish.

Yeah, ive never painted the stove, but that what we used on the stove chimney, and also the funnel.

- About £5 for a rattle-can of the stuff from the local hardware shop, also seen it in several canal shops, and proberbly BnQ and well.

Daniel

To polish you can use Zebo, very old fashioned, I remember my granny using it on the old range type fireplace, still sold in many places and still as good as ever.

It's the best stuff for stove blacking, easy to apply with low tech equipment. You apply it either with a soft cloth or a soft brush for patterned areas and let it dry (about five minutes), you then polish it with a boot brush for a bright graphite grey finish.

Oh and by the way when your granny used it Bernie, it was probobly called Zebrite - for some reason they changed the name about 25 years ago to Zebo, but it is still the same stuff. Any decent Ironmonger will stock it