Erm, me again, problems with engine

Lindy500

Featured Posts

Help please!

We seem to have an outdrive problem. When you try to put it into drive it makes a rumbling / graunchy sound and with more pressure, goes in. Could this be a cable adjustment problem? Lack of oil? Or any other suggestions? Bit of background, we have only recently bought the boat, and it was on a trailer, so have never been able to take it out and run it. Yesterday was the first attempt. Engine starts and runs perfectly fine, and it (allegedly!) had nothing wrong with it. It had been standing on the trailer for about 3 years. Any help or suggestions would be most appreciated.

Lindy :help:

Without a bit more information it is hard to diagnose , in fact almost inpossible without looking at it, it may well just be a cable adjustment problem.

Does it go into reverse ok?

which drive is it?

If your anywhere near the midlands will happily come ove and take a look as i have rebuilt many of them over the years and if it is an enfield i have a complete drive i had as a spare for my last cruiser.

Rick

When it is in gear (both forwards and reverse) does it run smoothly or does the grumbling continue?

If the engine and drive or of unknown quantity and it sounds as if they are if they have been sat around for 3 years then a full service on them is a must.

Outdrive_1.jpg

Bagdad Re tickover, that is already the case about the cables.

We don't know what the drive is, but have attached image (a bad one) for ID

Thanks Rick, that's very kind but I think we would be too far away in Cambridge

Outdrive_2.jpg

Edited by Lindy500

Help please!

We seem to have an outdrive problem. When you try to put it into drive it makes a rumbling / graunchy sound and with more pressure, goes in. Could this be a cable adjustment problem? Lack of oil? Or any other suggestions? Bit of background, we have only recently bought the boat, and it was on a trailer, so have never been able to take it out and run it. Yesterday was the first attempt. Engine starts and runs perfectly fine, and it (allegedly!) had nothing wrong with it. It had been standing on the trailer for about 3 years. Any help or suggestions would be most appreciated.

Lindy :help:

If you have an enfield outdrive which has been away from water for a while,it is likely that the control cable is sticky.

The enfield has 'dog' clutches which should be engaged briskly,gentle engagement will cause the dog clutch to chatter,this is normal.

If the clutch clatters when you are in gear

,it is repair time.

which outdrive is it?

ETA just seen the picture,it is an ENFIELD LEG.

Edited by cereal tiller

Wow, thanks so much, it doesn't necesarily sound terminal, then, does it? I think it's been out of water about 3 years.

Erm, now this is really embarrassing....there is a white plastic bung on top of the engine. Is this where the oil goe? :blush:

Wow, thanks so much, it doesn't necesarily sound terminal, then, does it? I think it's been out of water about 3 years.

Erm, now this is really embarrassing....there is a white plastic bung on top of the engine. Is this where the oil goes? :blush:

Edited by Lindy500

If i were you right now I would get someone who knows what they are doing to service the engine and leg and show you the basics of boat engine and drive maintenance. It is simple once you have been shown the ropes but you do need a firm foundation to start from. :)

If i were you right now I would get someone who knows what they are doing to service the engine and leg and show you the basics of boat engine and drive maintenance. It is simple once you have been shown the ropes but you do need a firm foundation to start from. :)

Maybe I should buy a camel...or do they have engines?

It's petrol, certainly. And yes, I think we need some hands on stuff, don't we. But we wondered if it was a cable just being sticky. It seems fine once it's in gear, and in light of cereals post, we were being too gentle I think. I really appreciate your help though. The last problem I posted about was the massive amount of water that had accumulated. Given that it's still floating, it clearly was just an accumulation of rain / condensation, because it hasn't come back. I'm sure eventually we'll actually manage to get it out on the river. :(

With the petrol engine it is most important that you follow strict safety procedure. Use the bilge blower to remove any fumes before starting the engine, petrol fumes will gather in engine compartment and any spark or light will cause a fire or explosion, when fuelling up at a pump earth the filler to the petrol pump to avoid spark from static One boat caught fire at Newark whilst on their petrol pump. turn off any pilot lights (fridge water heater etc) when handling petrol. Remember any spills will fill the boat with vapour it is like a bath tub not a car. Looks a nice boat have fun. the out-drive steering takes more concentration but makes the boat very manoeuvrable. Have you been shown how to swivel the leg to clean the propeller? There is a locking pin inside the boat then using a starting handle lookalike the worm and wheel swivel leg out of the water to remove weed plastic bags etc. I suspect you will have a wet exhaust cooling system listen for the splash all the time and check the mud box inlet filter every day.