widebeam boat how wide

owen

Featured Posts

Like most questions of this type, the answer is probably 'it depends'.

Do you mean all the wide canals in the south of the country, all in the north (including those in Scotland), or both? If both, will the boat be traveling on her own bottom between them, and if so will it be via the narrow canals (which would restrict you to 7'), or by sea? Do you want to include completely isolated waterways like the Monmouth & Brecon Canal, where you'd have to transport your boat by land to get there?

Like most questions of this type, the answer is probably 'it depends'.

Do you mean all the wide canals in the south of the country, all in the north (including those in Scotland), or both? If both, will the boat be traveling on her own bottom between them, and if so will it be via the narrow canals (which would restrict you to 7'), or by sea? Do you want to include completely isolated waterways like the Monmouth & Brecon Canal, where you'd have to transport your boat by land to get there?

probably just north and south not including monmouth and breacon possibly do rest by sea not narrow canals just thinking before i committ myself to broadbeam

'Humber Princess' pictured passing our boat at Barnby Dun must come close....

IMG_1047.jpg

blimey not that big :lol::o

Wide beam size for the English broad canal system,keep to max 14ft width and 57ft length.Most popular size these days is 12ft x 57ft,with this size you will have little trouble in negotiating the broad canals.

Edited by bowten

Wide beam size for the English broad canal system,keep to max 14ft width and 57ft length.Most popular size these days is 12ft x 57ft,with this size you will have little trouble in negotiating the broad canals.

If you buy one that is genuinely 14 feet, you'll not get far up the Grand Union these days, that's a fact. Too many narrowed bridge holes that will no longer pass that width.

Also if you wanted to go on the (rather lovely!) River Stort, you would be scuppered.

I do agree that about 12' seems a sensible limit, although don't underestimate the work involved in getting that through some places. Obviously things like the Grand Union tunnels you can only get through by special arrangement, as steps need to be taken to stop people coming the other way when you are going in the other end. Not in my view really that practical to boat regularly beyond Northamptonshire on the GU with a wide-beam, and few try it, for good reasons.

You do understand that if you buy any boat of more than 7 feet, the only way you can move it between Southern and Northern broad canals is by road, (unless it, and of course you, are capable of tackling sea passage) ?

They seem quite popular!!

Becoming all the rage now.

Talking about the Storts lock width,a couple of years ago at Southmill lock.As you know most locks on the Stort are 80 odd ft long. A 60' and 30' boat can get in them with an overlap. Well one boat had entered Southmill lock and a second went in far to fast and they both jambed absolutely solid. I had to go out there and yank them apart with a Turfing winch fixed to a lockside bollard.A bit of damage to both boats too,minor dents and paint all scraped off.