Back from the Macc

dor

Featured Posts

Well, we’re back. Been up to the Macc for a week, and what a good week it was too.

So what have I missed in the last 9 days?

We left Nantwich Friday evening, and stopped the night below Minshull Lock (noe apparently called “Church Minshull Lock” by BW) on the Middlewich Branch (after a quick “Hi” to Paula who was being taken for a walk by her dog, near Barbridge). Saturday started dry after much rain in the night, but the weather took its cue from us setting off, and the rain soon started. Although the weather forecast had said there was a belt of rain moving up from the south west, it was clearly travelling at 3 mph as it stayed with us for most of the day. Hardly any other boats on the move. Stopped for the night above Chells Aqueduct, in the midst of the Cheshire Locks, and on cue the rain stopped and it turned into a nice evening.

On Sunday we made an early start (8.00!) in the optimistic hope that we could get on before it started raining again. Some hope – it started soon after. Stopped for lunch above Red Bull just across the aqueduct. The rest of the day was showery. Stopped just above Buglawton on a spot with nice open views of the Cheshire countryside and the Cloud in sight, although somewhat obscured by its namesake.

Monday loomed better weatherwise and we set off, soon to meet up with Bosley Locks. A beautiful flight, all stone rather than the brick we are used to (same for the bridges). Much enhanced by warm sunshine! The flight is notable for having mitred top gates even thought the locks are narrow. This did have the disadvantage though that it was impossible to cross once one gate is open. Stopped for lunch at the top, just as it started raining. Hung on for the rain to stop, but it didn’t seem to want to cooperate. Good countryside to pass through, and we stopped the night by Adelphi Mill in Bollington.

Tuesday started off with some welcome sunshine. Very pretty countryside. Very few boats moving – the Macc certainly seems quiet after the Shroppie.

Stopped just before Marple junction and had a walk down the Marple flight, then back to the boat for lunch and dodge another shower. Set off later down to Whaley Bridge, which has an interesting transhipment warehouse but not much else to see. Picked up a good leaflet about Bugsworth Basin where we headed next. Useful new Tesco just by the junction to Bugsworth.

Bugsworth has been very well restored and an excellent place to moor, only spoilt by the traffic noise from the adjacent A6. Went to the Navigation Inn with the intention of having a meal, but very disappointing. It was very smoky, and the staff seemed pretty disinterested. The barman spent most of the time in front of the mirror behind the bar fiddling with his teeth. The placed was pretty dirty as well – e.g. the menus were filthy with spilt god-knows what. That and the dentally-obsessed barman put us off the idea of a meal so we went after one pint. The Timothy Taylor was good though. I had to check that this was the same pub that is featured in this month’s Waterways World – but there was a sign outside saying “Lease for sale” – so perhaps the couple who have run it for the last fifteen years are no longer there.

Wednesday we started the return leg, with generally better weather. Had a glorious afternoon Thursday on the moorings below Bosley Locks, an excellent spot.

Still very quiet – on Thursday morning we only saw two moving boats between Bollington & the bottom of Bosley, and on Friday morning only three between Bosley and Hardingwood Junction. Getting back to the Shroppie on Saturday was like joining the M1.

So an excellent week, and the Macclesfield is highly recommended.

Glad you enjoyed the Macc and Upper Peak Forest, Dor. I was moored on the Macc for two years and I'm missing it. Bosley is my favourite flight and I actually enjoy doing it single-handed. I agree about the Navigation pub, awful beer and food when I last called in. Maybe it will imrove with new owners.

Noah

Hope you've dried out now and glad you enjoyed the cruise. I really felt for anyone during the last week with all the rain and wind. The last time we cruised the Macc we had torrential rain when ascending Bosley but I do like the scenery around the area and we usually stop at the bottom for a night. We found the Upper Peak a little disappointing though what with a swing bridge that stuck and shallow areas where we constantly scraped bottom.