House at Hurleston

dor

Featured Posts

In the current Waterways World there is a picture taken of Hurleston Junction in 1962. It shows, opposite the Llangollen entrance, a house in typical Shroppie style (similar to junction House at Barbridge).

Now I've moored about a mile from Hurleston for the last 20-odd years, and this is the first time I have come across any reference to a house in this location. Passing it yesterday, it is possible to see (with the benefit of knowing something was there) where it would have been, and it also explains the length of iron railings there.

Does anyone know anything about this house? When it was demolished?

I'm just surprised that in all the time I've been boating in the area, with all the books on the Shroppie that I've read, that I have never come across any reference to this house.

In the current Waterways World there is a picture taken of Hurleston Junction in 1962. It shows, opposite the Llangollen entrance, a house in typical Shroppie style (similar to junction House at Barbridge).

Now I've moored about a mile from Hurleston for the last 20-odd years, and this is the first time I have come across any reference to a house in this location. Passing it yesterday, it is possible to see (with the benefit of knowing something was there) where it would have been, and it also explains the length of iron railings there.

I'm just surprised that in all the time I've been boating in the area, with all the books on the Shroppie that I've read, that I have never come across any reference to this house.

Do you mean this one?

96.jpg

In the late 50`s a BW employee lived in it. I had a gap of 3 years before travelling that way again & it was vandalised & boarded up.Don`t know if the guy retired or died. Was demolished IIRC in 1964/65 but if anyone knows different for sure & I`m wrong I stand corrected as it`s a while ago & my memory of late is a bit suspect

In the late 50`s a BW employee lived in it. I had a gap of 3 years before travelling that way again & it was vandalised & boarded up.Don`t know if the guy retired or died. Was demolished IIRC in 1964/65 but if anyone knows different for sure & I`m wrong I stand corrected as it`s a while ago & my memory of late is a bit suspect

You're probably right. Apparently it was the demolition of this house that led directly to Sir John Smith setting up the Landmark Trust.

This is from his obituary in 2007:

While serving on the executive committee of the National Trust in the 1960s, Smith wrote of the many "minor but handsome buildings of all kinds, into whose construction went much thought and care, which are part of our history and which contribute greatly to the scene; but whose original use has disappeared and which cannot be preserved from vandals, demolition or decay unless a new use and a source of income can be found for them". Characteristically, he produced his own solution, and in 1965 founded the Landmark Trust.

...He recognised the potential of the crumbling network of canals ("a source of pleasure and a manifestation of the English genius") and persuaded the trust to take on and repair the Stratford-upon-Avon canal. He promoted Enterprise Neptune, the trust's campaign for the protection of Britain's coastline, and as part of that campaign, joined forces with Sir Jack Hayward to acquire Lundy. And, in later years, he arranged for the Landmark and National trusts to collaborate in many joint projects, involving good buildings and fine landscape.