65' rufford arm to Lancaster

maizee26

Featured Posts

Hi we have been advised that even though the books advises maximum boat length of 62 ft that we could get up the rufford arm....can someone advise please the following

1.... Have you been up the rufford arm with your 65' narrowboat.

2..... How far up the arm could you get

3 ..... Rubble link also states 62' how strict is this.

We went on foot to check the 4 first locks on the rufford arm today and it seems we could fit without going across the locks so are these the locks that are a max 62' or are they further on.

Sorry I seem so confused, any help gratefully accepted

Hi we have been advised that even though the books advises maximum boat length of 62 ft that we could get up the rufford arm....can someone advise please the following

3 ..... Ribble link also states 62' how strict is this.

We went on foot to check the 4 first locks on the rufford arm today and it seems we could fit without going across the locks so are these the locks that are a max 62' or are they further on.

Edited by maizee26

3 ..... Rubble link also states 62' how strict is this.

There are many canals where lengths are listed that are eroneous, mainly when a wide lock is used by a narrowboat. For instance a 60 ft n/b can do the whole Calder and Hebble.....A 70 foot n/b can use Thorne Lock and there are many others........... :cheers:

From the archive records I hold, the top lock and Germains Lock are the shortest, with a distance of about 64 feet from the tip of the lower gate mitre to the sill. With a narrow boat diagonally there should not be a problem, though you will need to take great care. It is very difficult to give exact lock dimensions, and old boatmen I knew always said the only way is to try. I did manage to stop a full length narrowboat in the top lock at Burscough once, after the owners had got the boat into the lock and closed the gates. The stern was just beginning to rest on the sill when I arrived to close the paddles and stop the boat from breaking its back. So be careful, make sure the boat is not resting on the sill and it is likely that you will get through.

I took Ripple (62 foot) this way in 2008, the difficulty may be in persuading BW that a 65 footer should be allowed to book the crossing. The locks on the Ribble Link are 72 feet long I believe, to allow for the fact that one day the locks on the Rufford Branch might be lengthened (although as a heritage person I don't want to see these very old locks messed about with!)

I found Ripple a little tight on the Rufford arm, but didn't have to pull off any fancy tricks and am sure a few more feet would fit. I am equally sure a 70 foot boat would not, and Pluto appears to confirm this

One reason the stated maximum is often on the cautious side, aside from narrow boats using broad locks, is that the locks were built to take a boat of a given length, and a cautious contractor would usually add a bit when constructing the lock.

One reason the stated maximum is often on the cautious side, aside from narrow boats using broad locks, is that the locks were built to take a boat of a given length, and a cautious contractor would usually add a bit when constructing the lock.

Of course, there were no standard measures for building work when canals were built, another reason for adding on a little extra to make sure the dimensions are sufficient. On the L&LC, there can easily be a foot difference in the length of locks which are nominally the same length.

Thank you for your replies....if we don't book for the link is it true that the last winding place is the Marina and if we continued to Tarleton we couldn't turn round ? ...thanks in anticipation x

There isn't a winding place as such at the Marina, Tarleton (near the sea lock). Boats moor up permenantly on both sides in this area so without moving boats on the towpath side it would be quite difficult to turn any vessel of lenght in such a tight space. There are also the slipway rails to contend with which are used to return boats back to the water.

Harry the lock keeper told me that when any of the large vessels need to turn they open the sea lock (when the tide is right), and they turn in the Douglas then come back in.

Hope this helps

Oh that's great news...thankyou didn't think they would open that lock just for turning

On saying that, as the Douglas is a tidal river I would think it would be rather tricky to do the manouver unless they let you out on the slack tide.

When I crossed the Ribble from Tarleton as soon as the lock was opened the force of the tide was tremendous (and we just had to go in a straight line along the course of the Douglas!) Don't want to scare you but if you accidently drift past the lock you could end up floating off down the non navigable part of the Douglas!

With regards opening the lock for turning. I should have mentioned that he opens the lock for large vessels that are MOORED UP there.

Just to be safe, I would make double sure by phoning Harry on 01772816592

Edited by Androo