Heritage Working Boats Project

Richard Lacy

Featured Posts

Thanks for that Richard,

Should give me some reading material for a while.. :)

I'm back. Might not be a while liam unless you read very slowly. These websites leave me a bit cold. Maybe I've seen too many workboats? I hasten to add that the website dedicated to my boat Lucy is rubbish, inaccurate and panders to the usual over-romanticism of the workboat families.

I'm also back...

Didn't take me long did it!

This might be a bit of a thread hijack but the topic title is appropriate.

Talking of workboats; I see Ellesmere have finally accepted they can't keep on top of their fleet of 80 and are thinking of picking their 'top 20 or 30' to save. So whats happening to the 50 or 60 boats not worth saving then? One minute they are worth keeping in a museum the next they are worthless!? Will they be scrapped? Can I take my motor up there and tow off a couple I fancy? Will Richard Lacy's gang save them. In my experience, charities don't like to see the appearence of another boat to save, dilutes the donations you know.

This might be a bit of a thread hijack but the topic title is appropriate.

Talking of workboats; I see Ellesmere have finally accepted they can't keep on top of their fleet of 80 and are thinking of picking their 'top 20 or 30' to save. So whats happening to the 50 or 60 boats not worth saving then? One minute they are worth keeping in a museum the next they are worthless!? Will they be scrapped? Can I take my motor up there and tow off a couple I fancy? Will Richard Lacy's gang save them. In my experience, charities don't like to see the appearence of another boat to save, dilutes the donations you know.

Nice idea to save some more - but we have enough to go on with for the foreseable future thank you but it will be interesting to see what the end list of boats the Museums intend keeping will be . Very large amounts of cash will be needed whatever the situation .

Ex FMC Motor SHAD from Ellesmere Port will be operating as part of our fleet from July onwards at events in the Midlands for the rest of the season and hopefully next year will be joined by the ex FMC butty NORTHWICH from Gloucester.

Richard,

Are the boats ever in the North West? Wouldn't mind getting involved :)

Ellesmere Port to Marple is the nearest we will be to you this year (We were at Preston Brook last year) . You would be very welcome to join us for a trip or just a day . Contact me via the email on the Project web site and I will send you some gen .

hello Richard good to get more of a profile.

If you try to add heritageworkingboats.org.uk as a favorite the title is "homepage" ! not a good start.

What's is the July 1/2 Hawkesbury Junction, Coventry Event ?

hello Richard good to get more of a profile.

If you try to add heritageworkingboats.org.uk as a favorite the title is "homepage" ! not a good start.

What's is the July 1/2 Hawkesbury Junction, Coventry Event ?

Thanks for letting me know - will see if I can put that right .

Hawkesbury - when on the way to and from events we usually try and find an intermediate point with a possible connection with the boats , spend the weekend there and open the boats to the public , ie let them look round the cabins etc . The locals seem to like it and we see a lot of the older people who would not normally visit a canal event - many have really interesting memories of th the canals in their commercial days and the boats being present really gets them started on recounting them . We have had many fascinating times like this and have met quite a few ex working boat family members this way .