Vintage engine crankshaft endfloat

RLWP

Featured Posts

Having just checked a Gleniffer engine and found an endfloat of 0.042", I wondered what it might have been from new

What endfloat figures do large twin diesels have?

Richard

Having just checked a Gleniffer engine and found an endfloat of 0.042", I wondered what it might have been from new

What endfloat figures do large twin diesels have?

Richard

Lister JP, 5 to 10 thou.

Tim

Hmmm, 42 thou is probably a bit 'generous' then

Richard

I've seen other engines with loads of endfloat, not saying it's right though!

Is it possible for the gearbox to apply thrust to the crankshaft if it's set up wrongly? (not sure where I've put the book just at the moment).

Tim

I've seen other engines with loads of endfloat, not saying it's right though!

Is it possible for the gearbox to apply thrust to the crankshaft if it's set up wrongly? (not sure where I've put the book just at the moment).

Tim

In reverse, yes - I think

Gearbox has progressed by the way, and has now completed it's progression from a reverse-only box, a forward and neutral box to now a forward-neutral-reverse box.

Result!

Richard

Yes and I'd like to tell the board that I think RLWP is a GENIUS and thanks to his expertise this means Reg is highly likely to show up at the Easter banter now he can stop at locks :D

42 thou seems a lot in end float terms but from the way the other Richard was talking, I was expecting 1/4"!!

Yes and I'd like to tell the board that I think RLWP is a GENIUS and thanks to his expertise this means Reg is highly likely to show up at the Easter banter now he can stop at locks :D

42 thou seems a lot in end float terms but from the way the other Richard was talking, I was expecting 1/4"!!

That is an excellent result!!!!!

Well done Richard :cheers:

42 thou is well worn although I've seen far worse. Older design gearboxes do tend to load up the thrust somewhat. We use the excessive thrust check as the first indicator of condition when assessing older engines. This is especially true on Lister JPs. You can bet money that the bottom end is tired if you can detect lots of end float on JPs. It's not failed us yet, and that is a lot of JPs! Looking at a matched pair of Glennifer DB3s recently I noticed that there were axial thrust bearings fitted to damp it down a bit.

Edited by steamraiser2