Alternative to Leicester ring

Davo_Willow

Featured Posts

Hello Everyone,

I was planning to do the Leicester Ring clockwise, starting from Nuneaton leaving on Thursday - but understand now that Foxton will be closed from 12th so I have to choose another route. I have to pick up a crew member at the junction of the Trent and Mersey and the Trent, as my only firm commitment but where to go from there? Back towards Birmingham and do a city ring – or head up or down the Trent and do an out and back? Any recommendations gladly accepted for last minute change in plan. I will have about 3 weeks to get back to base (Nuneaton) from the pickup point.

Thanks - Davo

Hello Everyone,

I was planning to do the Leicester Ring clockwise, starting from Nuneaton leaving on Thursday - but understand now that Foxton will be closed from 12th so I have to choose another route. I have to pick up a crew member at the junction of the Trent and Mersey and the Trent, as my only firm commitment but where to go from there? Back towards Birmingham and do a city ring – or head up or down the Trent and do an out and back? Any recommendations gladly accepted for last minute change in plan. I will have about 3 weeks to get back to base (Nuneaton) from the pickup point.

Thanks - Davo

Hi,are you sure about Foxton its the first iv heard about it closing?

Ian.

Also confirmed on Waterscape :(

Latest i can find

Restriction: Grand Union Leicester Line Foxton Lock Flight 8-17

19 Mar 2012 until further notice

Associated Regional Office: South East Waterways

From Monday 19th March Foxton Flight will be open 10.00am - 4.00pm daily.

Last entry to flight is 3.15pm.

Introduction of essential boat traffic may be considered if the water situation does not improve throughout April/May.

(Enquiries: 01908 302 500)

the closure was also confirmed by the BBC

http://www.bbc.co.uk...rshire-17578211

It does not say they are closed please read the article properly before stating a closure this is how people get the wrong information

From this week boats will only be able to travel on the 11-mile stretch of the Grand Union Canal for six hours each day, from 10:00 to 16:00 BST.

Hello Everyone,

Thanks - Davo

Head down the Trent, although beware of low river levels. :cheers:

So John what about the link I posted to the closure notice on Waterscape - in the thread linked to above -

Ed to add - it is on watersacpe -

Stoppage: Grand Union Leicester Line Kibworth Top Lock 18 - Kings Lock 38

02 Apr 2012 until further notice

From Monday 2nd April to Friday 13th April navigation will be open 10.00am - 4.00pm daily.

From Friday 13th April at 4.00pm, navigation between Kibworth Top Lock 18 and Kings Lock 38 will be closed to navigation due to water availability in the area.

Locks 18, 30 and 38 will be padlocked to avoid abuse.

Weekend openings will be considered based on available water supplies as the season progresses and if possible, this will be communicated at a later date.

(Enquiries: 01908 302 500)

Edited by MJG

It does not say they are closed please read the article properly before stating a closure this is how people get the wrong information

The was looking at is this one ...

Stoppage: Grand Union Leicester Line Kibworth Top Lock 18 - Kings Lock 38

02 Apr 2012 until further notice

From Monday 2nd April to Friday 13th April navigation will be open 10.00am - 4.00pm daily.

From Friday 13th April at 4.00pm, navigation between Kibworth Top Lock 18 and Kings Lock 38 will be closed to navigation due to water availability in the area.

Locks 18, 30 and 38 will be padlocked to avoid abuse.

Weekend openings will be considered based on available water supplies as the season progresses and if possible, this will be communicated at a later date.

I guess that's not technically Foxton which is Locks 8-17 ... but effectively means the same thing for my trip and I need to go somewhere else.

Head down the Trent, although beware of low river levels. :cheers:

Thanks Phylis,

I haven't been on a river yet so that sounds like fun. How easy is it to find river visitors moorings - it's not like the canals where you can moor just about anywhere along the tow path - or is it?

Thanks Phylis,

I haven't been on a river yet so that sounds like fun. How easy is it to find river visitors moorings - it's not like the canals where you can moor just about anywhere along the tow path - or is it?

No you need to moor at designated visitor moorings as river banks are private property unlike on the canals. We have never struggled to find a mooring for the night but you may have to be willing to raft up at more popular spots. Failing that make sure your anchor is up to the job and sling your hook (out of the channel)

and spend the night at anchor. Very peaceful.

Dont be tempted to cut corners on the river or with the low levels at the moment you will ground the boat. That said if you are sensible it is a great trip down the Trent and back. If you venture tidal be sure to visit Torksey and West Stockwith as both are cracking villages with great pubs. :cheers:

Thanks Phylis,

Gunthorpe is nice, we moored there this time last year and there was only two other boats on it - handy for the pub and the mooring is locked using a BW key -

IMG_0629.jpg

and if you like train spotting the mooring just north of Newark past the lock is great too -

IMG_0643.jpg

Our favourite mooring on the Trent is at Stoke Bardolph. A lovely rural mooring.

That said we like most moorings on the Trent and in the Nottigham canal. There is plenty of choice to suit all tastes be it city/town moorings or more peaceful rural moorings. If you can get on the mooring at Fiskerton the pub does great food, the mooring is only very small though so be prepared to raft up and dont be tempted to moor on the flood wall as there are rocks in the edge.

Just as an aside it is worth mentioning that a river has a flow, not always obvious to those not used to travelling on the river. Where possible when mooring turn into the flow (or the wind of it is stronger which it can be on the open stretches) and let it help you manouvre. Trying to moor with the flow isnt really advised, the Trent is plenty wide enough to turn a narrowboat and moor with the flow. :cheers: