Paintwork

Pirate

Featured Posts

Not sure why Nigel's so secretive about this but heres a clue...

WEG-72.JPG

Am I being especially dense, or how do you get that from OESD ?

You did a nice job there, now what paint did you use?

He's told you already,

Oxfordblue Exterior Shiny Dulux :huh:

Am I being especially dense, or how do you get that from OESD ?

He's told you already,

Oxfordblue Exterior Shiny Dulux :huh:

I am pleased you cleared that one up! My brain was acheing!

That's the point in question: How does anyone get a boat painted in this terrible climate? I've spent weeks rubbing down and preparing my boat to be painted but only yesterday I was working (sanding down) in pouring rain again. However, we're now nearly in June yet the weather is still like winter.

So, my only option seems taking her out of the water and into an enclosed area when I do paint. I'm determined to get the job done without the paint getting soaked. :huh:

I saw a NB today with an excellent finish, one of the best I have seen.

My boat has a new look. Managed to get some paint on before it rained.

wudnewlook3.jpg

wudnewlook4.jpg

Oh btw. Someone has recently told me he spent £3500 having his boat painted last year. The gloss on the hull has cost me approx £1.50. I've used less than a litre, and bought 2 1/2 litres of top quality paint for £6.00

I've painted a couple of boats in winter, you have just got to try and plan around the weather. In a couple of weeks time, it may to hot to paint! once the sun heats up the skin it becomes hard work. one option, do you have a large road bridge close by that you can moor under for a couple of days?

I sprayed mine as didnt fancy using a roller and brush,if you want the shine its really a case of getting it done proffessionally,either roller,or spraying,I believe the prices are around 2-3 grand,but there is a lot of work involved,I know,it took me as long to prep and spray mine as it took to build the boat!I also had the added advantage of being able to use a full size boat spray shop and didnt have to rely on weather conditions,although to spray paint anything outside has to be bordering on the side of madness!

Edited by iteldoo4me

plenty of wide moterway bridges to go under near us,could moor underneath to paint and leave plenty of room for other boats to pass.

dry in the rain and cool if the sun blazes.

plenty of wide moterway bridges to go under near us,could moor underneath to paint and leave plenty of room for other boats to pass.

dry in the rain and cool if the sun blazes.

You often need to drill the concrete to attach an eye to put your lines through...... unless someone's been there before on the same mission. :huh:

Yes, there is a brdge right next to me virtually. My idea is to move the boat very close to the bridge and try and paint. If it starts raining, it'll be a matter of dragging the boat underneath it if that's the option I choose. I don't know if this would be a problem for other boats passing by, however.

In my case the painting is a very big job as I'm restoring a boat from very poor condition. Over the last few weeks I've been rubbing down and grime has literally been oozing out of the body as well as flaked paint.

I don't know what happened the last time she was painted. When the boat finally came to me it was coated in this horrid, flaked paint. Obviously there was no adhesion. Maybe this was a case of somebody being caught out by rain or maybe it had been raining and the boat wasn't thoroughly dry at the time of painting.

My plan is to rub down very methodically and then buy some really good, easy-to-apply, resistant marine paint for fibreglass. To be honest, though, I'm really taking the rain scenario seriously.

I've painted a couple of boats in winter, you have just got to try and plan around the weather. In a couple of weeks time, it may to hot to paint! once the sun heats up the skin it becomes hard work. one option, do you have a large road bridge close by that you can moor under for a couple of days?

I have a small wooden speed boat and the best paint I found for that was Wilkinsons own brand exterior gloss, which was also very cheap.

Aluminium wood primer first, then two coats of undercoat, th the Wilki's gloss.

With GRP it is a bit different, though, you have to use GRP paint to get a molecular bond, apparently.

Don't know much about steel!! I once bought a Rover 3500 P6 shape that had been painted with a brush. It didn't look too clever!! It was VERY quick, though!!!.....and did 14 miles per gallon on a good day!! My Norman 20 used to nearly make that.