expancian joints

Featured Posts

Hi Maf

At the minuite at the boat yard in Atherston, just gone back into the water last week, now with all the fittings under the waterline.

Still havent got a mooring where i want one, so it looks like im'e stuck at the yard http://www.barryhawkins-narrowboats.com/home.htm till i find one, but it is good to be there for a bit as they give me lots of help and advice, but it means i dont get much time to work on it as im'e 60 miles away.

Edited by Richard Bustens

But there's a very long weekend coming up Richard. You could avoid the turkey, pudding, brandy, tree, decorations etc etc and spend 4 whole days working on the boat. What better Christmas present could you give yourself? Whether your family would see it the same way............

Oh b***er! There's another topic gone off topic.

Edited by Paul Evans

Hi Paul

I work for myself but as most of our customers shut the same we shut 22nd dec right through to the day after new year.

In fact this year it is less due to the way christmas falls.

Though i will have to send stuff out that is ordered on the zippo web site, we have only started this this year so i dont know just how much that will entail.

Hi Dor Where is hurlaston?

Ispoke to the girl from BW weeks ago about Henhull and told her that i thought there were spaces there and she said that she thought she could get me on the bridge end and was waiting for the linesman to confirm this.

She said she would ring me the next day and would i be there to take her call. im'e still waiting for it.

Have not bothered hassling her yet as im'e waiting to hear form one just up the Llangollen. and if it comes free it would be my first choice as i can put decking on the side and it has eletric and water to it.

• 1 month later...
Emilyanne is done out in ash panneling, from the walkway up, and it was put up with 2-3mm gaps between the planks (secret nailed) and that wasnt enoght, every winter they get damp and swell with the ceiling lifting places to acomdate the swelling, or sides pushing the edging off.

- partley this is due to ash's natural tendacy to swell a lot when damp, but its still quite impressve the amout it swell, i'd sat its about 1-2cm of a 4foot distance

- but in winter it is damp on board certainly (the salt still flows, but thats only becuase of all the anticaking agents they use nowadays)

so i'd be temted to leave gap in any T & G, i dont know how the plywood that does under walkway was laid, but it seams be much better - (you can see it though the carpet anyway)

daniel

The problem with wood and swelling, comes from the expansion in width - there is very little expansion in length. With your flooring made of plywood, the multiple cross-grains limit swelling, so if your boat is damp it might be better to fit a veneered ply instead of T & G.

Also,thin T & G tends to curl after a time.

Hi Richard

For some reason I missed your post in December.

Hi Dor Where is hurlaston?

Ispoke to the girl from BW weeks ago......... [\quote]

I of course meant Henhull not Hurleston - proximity of Christmas no doubt affecting my ability to communicate.

There are only two boats moored between me (Isis) and the bridge now, and they are a fair way down. One that was going to be moored further down managed to squeeze in further up next to his friend (they are both doing fitouts).

So you wouldn't have to be too far down. Makes you wonder if BW actually know what moorings they have got.

But maybe you have something sorted by now.

. . . Makes you wonder if BW actually know what moorings they have got. . .

For 18 months BW were telling everyone that the moorings at Great Bedwyn (K&A) were full untill a desperate would-be moorer made local enquiries. The half dozen spaces are now filled and, hopefully, the BW office records reflect the actual situation.

Alan

Hi DOR

Just been to hen-hull again and there is plenty of empty spaces as you say.

I will get on to the girl at BW again tomorrow and see what she says this time, which boat is yours " Cloud Nine? "

Problem is i have lost her name when the computers went down over Xmas but it will come back to me.

Hi Richard

My boat is Isis. From the winding hole it is full down as far as my boat. There is then a large gap until two more boats, Cloud 9 & Gallileo (I think). The northern end is a bit more convenient, but the other end is wider so you can turn on the mooring. There are two boats together about 3 or 4 down from the northern end being fitted out, plus one next to mine that seems to be in a permanent state of being refurbished (he spends a couple of months doing a bit, then rips it out & starts again!).

There is no problem with fitting out on the moorings, as long as you don't monopolise the moorings on the towpath side that is reserved for water/loading.

DOR

When are you going to your boat again?

Can you check the depth of water as BW say it is not deep between cloud nine and the bridge but I'm welcome to go there if i can get in . as i draw 2'9'' i suspect not.

Also they have offered me a mooring at Audlam north for now till one comes up at hen hull if i can not get in between the bridge. so that is a improvement.

Dian Leaver has spent most of today trying to sort this out for me. and has helped a lot, even told me the stopages between the boat and there to work out when it can be moved.

Hi Richard.

I draw about 2 ft, and I am not far off the bottom when I come into my mooring from the south. So you may well find it too shallow.

Was supposed to be dredged last summer as well! - I think all they did was stir the sediment about a bit. I didn't see the actual dredging in progress, but someone told me they were picking it up from the edge and dropping it in the middle.

I understand that dredgings are now classified as "liquid waste" which means they can't just tip it into the canalside lagoons they used to use.