More 12 TV Talk

Robbie Barr

Featured Posts

Hey y'all.

I did a whole bunch of reading up on people who have just chopped off the ACDC step down on their 240v LCD TV's and figured I'd give it a go.

Wired about 20ft of cable to a spare outlet on the distro, wired TV into that. Put a 5A breaker over it and plugged TV in. Nothing happened, just the fuse blew.

Am I missing something?

I have no way of checking if the TV still works on 240 until tomorrow.

Advice?

Hey y'all.

I did a whole bunch of reading up on people who have just chopped off the ACDC step down on their 240v LCD TV's and figured I'd give it a go.

Wired about 20ft of cable to a spare outlet on the distro, wired TV into that. Put a 5A breaker over it and plugged TV in. Nothing happened, just the fuse blew.

Am I missing something?

I have no way of checking if the TV still works on 240 until tomorrow.

Advice?

My first thought is incorrect polarity on the 12V plug. Some are +ve centre pin whilst some are -ve. I have wired various 240V appliances in the way you describe by removing the 240/12 volt power supply without problems.

Edit: Just checked the power supply on my telly at home (goodmans) which is about 16 inch screen. That is rated at 4.0amps, so if your telly is bigger, I agree with Chris that 5A breaker is probably undersize.

Edited by Guest

Questions

1 - are you sure its AC/DC supply and not just a transformer - AC in AC out. On it should have something that describes the output. Sometimes its text, sometimes its graphics. If it shows a sine wave (wiggly line) then its AC. If it shows an = with the bottom bar made up of several short lines then its DC.

2 - If it is a DC supply to the TV what voltage is it running at?

If it's 12V ish DC out check your polarity (and hope the TV's got an diode to protect it from reverse polarity.

If it's more than 14V required then you're going to need a step up supply to run it. (or just watch TV when the engines going)

If it's less than 12V i.e. 8V, 5v etc then you may need a new TV (unless it is designed to stand an overvoltage)

3 - How many amps does the power supply put out? If it's a big TV 5A may not be enough.

Thanks for the replies. The TV is 12DC at 5A.

Is it indicative of anything if, when I wire it the other way and the breaker doesn't trip BUT nothing happens at the TV end except for a small spart at the dc plug terminal?

Thanks for the replies. The TV is 12DC at 5A.

Is it indicative of anything if, when I wire it the other way and the breaker doesn't trip BUT nothing happens at the TV end except for a small spart at the dc plug terminal?

I fear you will pop something if you start changing polarity. You really need to either trace the wires through physically if possible, to check the polarity to the plug, or better still use a multimeter.

5 amps? thats alot for a telly, is it huge?

If your ok with the possible outcome it may be the end of the telly...

shorten the cable as much as you can and run through a 10amp fuse at the panel.

Dont cry if it blows but punch the air and shout with joy if it works :lol:

edit: you should have used a multimeter on the power supply before chopping it to make sure of the polarity.

Generally speaking the white cable will be + and the bare one will be - (earth)

I've not known one blow yet at all but the ones that didnt like it whited out after a couple of seconds, still worked fine on a regulated supply too.

Edited by Pretty Funked Up

These flat LCD tellies don't appear to be as economical on power as once made out. I have an old Roadstar 12V tube TV which uses considerably less power than my (slightly larger screen) LCD telly. For this reason I tend to stick with the old tube telly and a digibox from asda (which happened to be 12V :)) Together they use less power than the LCD telly.

You need to determing the polarity of the power supply connector and then ensure that your "20 feet" of wire will supply that current without much volts drop even during the switch on surge. Failure to use fat enough wire stops 12v things from working properly'

These flat LCD tellies don't appear to be as economical on power as once made out. I have an old Roadstar 12V tube TV which uses considerably less power than my (slightly larger screen) LCD telly. For this reason I tend to stick with the old tube telly and a digibox from asda (which happened to be 12V :)) Together they use less power than the LCD telly.

Led tellies are the way to go. We have a 22 in lED tv onboard runs off mains or 12v. uses less than 2.5 amps on 12 volt. :cheers:

Led tellies are the way to go. We have a 22 in lED tv onboard runs off mains or 12v. uses less than 2.5 amps on 12 volt. :cheers:

That is quite impressive, certainly better than my Goodmans LCD which is considerably smaller than your TV! What make is that particular one? Is it one designed to run from 12V rather than an adaption, and if so I wonder if it is designed with economical running in mind? (my Goodman's is a 240V one with a 12V "brick" that I have wired to work from the boat 12V system.)

Our 19" Avtex takes 32 watts or 39 watts with the DVD playing, so about 3 amps, + or -....

Nick

Again that is slightly less than my Goodmans LCD telly (16"). Is your Avtex a dedicated 12V set, or one you have adapted?

That is quite impressive, certainly better than my Goodmans LCD which is considerably smaller than your TV! What make is that particular one? Is it one designed to run from 12V rather than an adaption, and if so I wonder if it is designed with economical running in mind? (my Goodman's is a 240V one with a 12V "brick" that I have wired to work from the boat 12V system.)

Hi Stan

Its a " Cello " not the cheapest but does what it says on the tin with loadsa plug holes for mopdern crap that I dont use. It plugs directly into mains or 12v sockets and has voltage stabiliser fitted to both supplies. just checked my ampage and its drawing 2.3 amps at the moment, good bit of kit. :cheers:

Hi Stan

Its a " Cello " not the cheapest but does what it says on the tin with loadsa plug holes for mopdern crap that I dont use. It plugs directly into mains or 12v sockets and has voltage stabiliser fitted to both supplies. just checked my ampage and its drawing 2.3 amps at the moment, good bit of kit. :cheers:

Sounds really good Tim. Looks like it is designed for low consumption with 12V use in mind. Serves me right for being a cheapskate :) You get what you pay for and all that.

Sounds really good Tim. Looks like it is designed for low consumption with 12V use in mind. Serves me right for being a cheapskate :) You get what you pay for and all that.

Yeah you tight git :lol: It was 250 quid as against the usual 150 squid but its good quality and for 22 inch as a liveaboard the consumption was my main concern. Even with the dvd running it takes less than 3 amps. :cheers:

Yeah you tight git :lol: It was 250 quid as against the usual 150 squid but its good quality and for 22 inch as a liveaboard the consumption was my main concern. Even with the dvd running it takes less than 3 amps. :cheers:

I have short arms and deep pockets mate. I once dropped a two pound coin and it hit me on the back of my head. It is the Northener in me I'm afraid. Actually 250 squid isn't that bad for a proper job. I'll have to have a look around since we are going to be spending more time aboard now :)

I have short arms and deep pockets mate. I once dropped a two pound coin and it hit me on the back of my head. It is the Northener in me I'm afraid. Actually 250 squid isn't that bad for a proper job. I'll have to have a look around since we are going to be spending more time aboard now :)

I have a very clever bit of kit that plugs into the mains then you plug whatever piece of equipment into it and it gives a readout of what the item is consuming. Ita acuurate and means in a place like currys you can try several items and buy the lowest consumption item if you wish. :cheers:

Just bought one of these off of ebay,item no.220869308447 looks brand new,works perfectly,and only uses 1.7 amps on 12v,delivered next day.

Again that is slightly less than my Goodmans LCD telly (16"). Is your Avtex a dedicated 12V set, or one you have adapted?

The Avtex is a 12V set with an in-line 230V ac to 12 V DC adapter, and came supplied with a "cigar lead"... so I guess a 12V set - bought I think from "The 12 Volt shop"

Nick

Thanks for all the help on here.

Just an update, I re-cabled today and it's working flawlessly.

In case anyone is interested, the unit is an 18.5in Logik unit from Comet I got for £110. It consumes 23w at 3a. The unit is tip-positive.

Cheers!

Thanks for all the help on here.

Just an update, I re-cabled today and it's working flawlessly.

In case anyone is interested, the unit is an 18.5in Logik unit from Comet I got for £110. It consumes 23w at 3a. The unit is tip-positive.

Cheers!

Hi Robbie...

Could you have another look at that label please ?

At 12 volts, 3 amps would be 36 watts and 23 watts at 12 volts would be 12/23 = 1.9167 amps...

or

23 watts and 3 amps would infer a supply voltage of 23/3 = 7.667 volts, all of which doesn't compute..

I expect the 23 watts bit is right though, so at 12 volts that is 1.916 amps = pretty good !! cheers.gif

Nick