Holiday Advice needed again.

Mantaray

Featured Posts

Well it's that time again when I need to start planing our Bi-yearly narrow boat holiday.

Having done the 4 County ring last time out, and also done the Warwickshire ring (including part of Birmingham)in the past, I'm not sure which ring to do this year.

Our boat is mored at Willington on the T&M and we have it for 2 weeks sometime aroung May/June. Hopefully 4 adalts but could just be 2.

Option 1:

Having done the 4 Countys ring very lesurly last year( just me and the wife), I was thinking... Dash up the T&M and round to the start of the Llangollen canal, then do a return trip up the Llangollen canal nice and slow, then a dash back to Willington by continuing on the 4 countys.

Option 2:

Up the T&M to red Bull Junction, then up the Macclesfield to Manchester, then down the Bridgewater Canal, back on to the T&M at Preston Brook. for the return to Willington.

Option 3:

Do the Leicestershire Ring. We have done half of this ring before, from Branston up the North Oxford and Coventry canals, when we did the Warks ring.

We tend to do long days 8or 9 hours and don't stop off very often, we just enjoy the changing sinery at a nice steady paice and being out of the "Rat race" ;)

Which of the options would you sugest, If I have a prefrance, I think option 2 is my favoret, but do I go Clockwise or anti-clockwise?

If you have not done all of it before - I'd go option 3 anti-clockwise.

The river (Soar) sections are just great as is going through the likes of Watford and Foxton flights.

(usual caveat applies around being aware of flood conditions up the river bits and of course now drought conditions on the other bits)

We managed it just 2 up in April 2009 and we were relatively in experienced. If you put long days in (like it sounds you do) you might have time to nip up at least part of the Ashby or the Market Harborough Arm.

Depends when you are going. I reckon the GU Leicester line will have stoppages til the end of March and then restrictions throughout the summer due to lack of water. I cannot see there being enough rainfall to top up the reservoirs and watercourses this summer But I have no real evisdence for this theory. Just a gut feeling.

Edited by jelunga

If you have not done all of it before - I'd go option 3 anti-clockwise.

The river (Soar) sections are just great as is going through the likes of Watford and Foxton flights.

(usual caveat applies around being aware of flood conditions up the river bits and of course now drought conditions on the other bits)

We managed it just 2 up in April 2009 and we were relatively in experienced. If you put long days in (like it sounds you do) you might have time to nip up at least part of the Ashby or the Market Harborough Arm.

Why do you sugest anti-clockwise, is it something to do with the river flow?

Why do you sugest anti-clockwise, is it something to do with the river flow?

It is generally regarded as the preferred direction not only for the reason you say but also when you are going from Foxton to the junction with the Trent you are going downhill in the big wide double locks which makes it a bit easier especially if you are the only boat travelling.

It can be done the other way though and the advantage to doing so from your starting point is that you are nearer to the sections that can go into flood which are the sections just past Derwent Mouth lock, the Trent past Sawley Cut and of course the Soar. It is then arguably easier to abandon the idea of travelling those sections earlier in the holiday and do something else if they go into flood.

Going anti from Willington could theoretically mean you could travel many days and get around two thirds of the way into your trip and get stopped by floods - unlikely at your chosen time but possible, also even if you do so you may only be stuck a day or two which may not matter.

When we did it anti we started from Napton, which is much further around.

One other thing to mention - if you are taking your boat onto the Soar/Trent make sure the boat has a suitable anchor and whilst not tidal and not truly 'lumpy' water life-jackets would be advised particularly for anybody who is not a strong swimmer.

Option 3 looks nice but if you go for your preferred option 2 you may have time to take a detour up the Caldon Canal on your way home. It's a great little canal and very rural once you are out of Stoke

Have a great time wherever you go!

Nick

I'd opt for Option 2 as well, although I'd probably do the Cheshire ring the other way round (ie clockwise). That way you'd be doing the Cheshire Locks downhill which is a bit easier than uphill. While you're there, it's also well worth making the short journey from Marple to Bugsworth Basin.

Thanks for all the responces.

I think we have deceided to go for option 2:clockwise :lol: All the way up the T&M to Preston Brook, then up the Bridgewater Canal to Manchester, then down the Macclesfield Canal, back on to the T&M at red Bull Junction. for the return to Willington. Will also do Marple to Bugsworth Basin if time allows.(Thanks to adam1uk for the advice) :cheers:

What are, the north end of the Bridgewater, and the Ashton canal like for morring, as I see on Canal Planer that we will be spending 3 nights in the Manchester suberbs. Are there any areas that we should try and avoid for an over night stop or anywhere we should stop at :help:

Thank for your advice.

Edited by Mantaray

What are, the north end of the Bridgewater, and the Ashton canal like for morring, as I see on Canal Planer that we will be spending 3 nights in the Manchester suberbs. Are there any areas that we should try and avoid for an over night stop or anywhere we should stop at :help:

Thank for your advice.

I would have thought two nights around Manchester would see you. The Bridgewater into Manchester is deep and good fast boating; Lymm not a bad stop and not really urban M'cr at all. Onto Castlefields, then reasonably early start and on to Ashton. Be prepared for a little fun heading up away from Caslefields -- last time we did it, the flow of water and setting of the lock gates was such that we had to barge our way out of one or two of the locks. Also, keep your crew on board -- difficult or no access to set locks from adjacent street.

Mike.

Acording to Canal Planer, I will need to do an overnight stop around, Longford Bridge Pipe Bridge, then around Clayton Top lock, and then around Church Lane Bridge. Which are all in quite built up areas.

Your sujestion of doing Lymm to Castlefields in one day sounds good, we would then only rearly be spending one night in manchester at castlefields.

Acording to Canal Planer, I will need to do an overnight stop around, Longford Bridge Pipe Bridge, then around Clayton Top lock, and then around Church Lane Bridge. Which are all in quite built up areas.

Your sujestion of doing Lymm to Castlefields in one day sounds good, we would then only rearly be spending one night in manchester at castlefields.

When we did this stretch a couple of years ago when we had a share boat, our last stop outside Manchester was at Dunham. We then did the bit through Sale and into Manchester in a morning, arriving at Castlefield at lunchtime. We moored in the arm round to the right as you arrive on the Bridgewater. It's a fantastic place to stop, and the timing meant we had the afternoon an evening to look round Manchester.

You don't really want to stop on the Rochdale on the Ashton. We made an early start on the Rochdale 9, entering the first lock at 7am. The 9 took us two and half hours -- there were a couple of boats moored by the top lock, but I'm not sure I'd have stayed there. The 18 locks on the Ashton took a further four hours, and we stopped for lunch at the top. A couple of boats we met coming the other way had had their ropes cut overnight at Portland Basin, and when we got there it didn't look to me like a particularly nice place to stop. We carried on through Hyde to a place out in the country by Bridge 9. My blog account of the day is here.

We did the same a stop at Lymm and then into Catlefields, which gives time to have a wander around. An earlish start up the Rochdale nine, but we did not have as good a run as Adam, there was just the two of us and the nine were difficult due to the amount of water coming down, then all the locks up the Ashton were against us as there was a boat infont of us. It took us about 11 hours from Catlefields to Bridge 10 on the Ashton. I wouldn't have moored at the top of the nine either, but I think there is a new marina with visitor moorings now so perhaps its an option. link

We did the Cheshire Ring from Preston Brook, included Bugsworth Basin and a trip to Chester within our two weeks.

Its hard but worth it and can't have been that bad as we are thinking of repeating it again this year!

Have a great trip.

Ali

We went from Lymm to nearly top of macc,via preston brook then turned round and came back,in ten days,,in Spt last year, dont like cities on a nb,can do cities in a car/train, nb for me are the countryside and country pubs,but thats just me...

• 2 months later...

Well only just over 2 weeks to go, and I can't wait.

Looks like it will be only the wife and I now, as our freind is not going to be able to take leave from his job with the Red Arrows and so has had to pull out.

Does anyone know of any stopages or problems we need to know about.

Thanks in advance for any info.

• 2 weeks later...

Change of plans, as there is now only going to be 2 of us on the narrowboat, we have decieded that to do the Cheshire ring will be too much of a rush, CP says an average of 7.45 hour days which does not give much lee way.

We are now going to do the 4 countys ring again. We did it 2 years ago in an anti clockwise direction, so this year will go clockwise and be able to stop off at a few places we missed last time.

Only 1 day to go and I can't wait, we pick the boat up (Henry IV) Tuesday afternoon so give us a wave if you see us.