Car Parking near Bascote Lock no17

Oliver

Featured Posts

Can anyone suggest a suitable parking place near to Bascote Lock no 17 where a car could be left for 2 or 3 days? I don't know the area and can't see anything on the aerial photos of the area on Google Maps.

Thanks

There is the Blue Lias or the Stockton Boat Inn pub who might let you leave it there if you ask the land lord.

Actually there are few place around these locks, am I confused?

Alex

I was hoping for something closer than that - I reckon it's over 2 miles to walk from Bascote No 17 to Blue Lias and I'll have luggage, food etc plus a dog - or have I got the distance wrong?

How about steering the boat along the cut to where you parked the car...?

There's also the Two Boats and the Cuttle at Long Itchington which is closer. There's a road next to the Water point on the Bascote pound where I think that there's car access, but I'm not sure - It's on one of my cycle training routes.

Why pick Bascote bottom lock though, which basically has no road access? There are good moorings a bit further up before you get to Long Itchington, and good road access there. Or lower down there is road access to Welsh Road and the Foss Way.

Why pick Bascote bottom lock though, which basically has no road access? There are good moorings a bit further up before you get to Long Itchington, and good road access there. Or lower down there is road access to Welsh Road and the Foss Way.

It does have passable road access and, being a long way from the main road and out of sight of the canal, is pretty safe.

The only problem I had was when BW stole my Herald but, as it cost them a grand in compensation, plus all their expenses, I doubt they'll do that again.

It does have passable road access and, being a long way from the main road and out of sight of the canal, is pretty safe.

The only problem I had was when BW stole my Herald but, as it cost them a grand in compensation, plus all their expenses, I doubt they'll do that again.

Sounds like a good reason not to park there then rolleyes.gif

Edit to Add: I assume you mean the top lock, not the bottom?

Edited by john6767

Sounds like a good reason not to park there then rolleyes.gif

Really? Why's that then?

My mate had his van broken into and all his tools nicked, when parked on Welsh Road.

That would deter me more than corporate thieving which was settled far more easily, in court, than if it was a scrote theft.

Edit to Add: I assume you mean the top lock, not the bottom?

I've put a link to the location.

Thanks for suggestions guys - moving a boat and will have help on board who need to be dropped off once down Stockton and through No 17. Could go further towards Radford Semele but just not sure how far past No 17 we will get before help needs to leave. Are there any pubs on the stretch between Bascote Locks & Radford Semele? Can't see any on Google Maps.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for suggestions guys - moving a boat and will have help on board who need to be dropped off once down Stockton and through No 17. Could go further towards Radford Semele but just not sure how far past No 17 we will get before help needs to leave. Are there any pubs on the stretch between Bascote Locks & Radford Semele? Can't see any on Google Maps.

Might be a bit late for this - but there's a pub at Radford Semele, if you're prepared to walk the mile or so. Its the red or white Lion I think.

As for parking at the top of Bascote Locks, you can and it's relatively safe. But beware it's a hang out for kids and druggies. I've been broken into twice up there now. Bascote Wharf might be a bit better, and you can park in the lay-by or sometimes on the bridge, with enough passing traffic to deter thieves. Equally true of parking in the lay-by at Welsh road.