How do I clean my Shurflo check valve?

Rocinante

Featured Posts

My Shurflo Aqua King water pump has started running constantly. The water pressure continues to be good so I'm assuming it can't be an airlock but must mean I need to clean out the filter (as per trouble shooting guide) but there are no instructions in the product manuals or on the Shurflo site on how to do this. Do I need to drain the whole system first & what then?? Would be good to hear your thoughts or if you know somewhere with more information on this.

My Shurflo Aqua King water pump has started running constantly. The water pressure continues to be good so I'm assuming it can't be an airlock but must mean I need to clean out the filter (as per trouble shooting guide) but there are no instructions in the product manuals or on the Shurflo site on how to do this. Do I need to drain the whole system first & what then?? Would be good to hear your thoughts or if you know somewhere with more information on this.

Title says check valve, question says filter!

If you still have good flow volume then I have doubts its a blocked filter. However they are normally in two halves that screw together with a sealing rubber ring. Turn off the main water valve that should be close to the tank. If the filter is the "mounted on pump" or "in pipe run" disk type free one side and simply unscrew the two half disks. If it is foot mounted with clear plastic cover just unscrew the cover.

There are at least three pumping chambers in your pump, each with its own pair of valves. Personally I would not try to strip the pump to clean them but would fit a plumber's non-return valve (flap type) between the filter and pump.

It is vital that you ensure there are no leaks from your plumbing or pump.

There could be muck in the pressure switch diaphragm chamber or it's small drilling that passes pressure to it.

If it is running constantly it indicates two things?

1) you have a leak.

2) you have no water or an air lock.

In the first case the pump is pumping water and it is going somewhere.

In the second case the pump is (trying) pumping air, which could mean there is no water in the tank or something is blocking its flow (ie filter) or there is a leak before the pump that is sucking air (it may also result in water leaking out when the pump is not running).

You should have a feed from your tank to the pump which ought to include a stop tap and a filter. Before looking at the filter you should turn the water off (just incase there is 300 gallons behind it!). The filter will normally be roundish and will come appart either like a bayonet fitting or the lid will screw off. It will usually contain a wire mesh which may need cleaning.

Thanks guys. So to clarify, it appears to be called a strainer (the top one here http://www.shurflo.com/marine-products/water-system-accessories/water-system-accessories/default.html)

I have taken the top off & cleaned the metal mesh however that didn't seem too dirty & I'm not sure if I'm meant to clean the other half. That part is full of little bits that look like a key part of the filtering process. I can't see any leaks & again there seems to be no further information on this from Shurflo.

Also, my strainer appears to have been installed the other way up from that pictured on the Shurflo website - though it has worked fine at least for the last two years

Thanks guys. So to clarify, it appears to be called a strainer (the top one here http://www.shurflo.com/marine-products/water-system-accessories/water-system-accessories/default.html)

I have taken the top off & cleaned the metal mesh however that didn't seem too dirty & I'm not sure if I'm meant to clean the other half. That part is full of little bits that look like a key part of the filtering process. I can't see any leaks & again there seems to be no further information on this from Shurflo.

Also, my strainer appears to have been installed the other way up from that pictured on the Shurflo website - though it has worked fine at least for the last two years

I don't think there should be any bits, maybe that is what the filter has caught coming out of the water tank and stopped it going through the pump.

Hence the bits fall back into the housing, instead of into the clear bit that unscrews?