vinyl emulsion paint

Featured Posts

my local industrial paint supplier recommended using matt vinyl emulsion paint over standard oil-based undercoat for painting the roof, where I want a non-glare surface with some non-slip quality. He said he regularly supplies it for painting the roofs of portacabins, which are probably never repainted during their lifetime of about 5 to 10 years.

this seemed silly, but on reflection it may be a good solution. It is easy to apply and to renew if it gets marked.

any comments?

I use this a lot in the public areas of my shop. Reason - because it always get scuffed, delivery men whacking parcels against the wall etc. - and it's easy to touch back in without doing a complete re-paint, BUT it does scuff very easily and I can't imagine it standing up to the wear and tear a roof gets with poles, planks, centre ropes, and feet on and off all the time. NO WAY.

Regards

David B

vinyl emulsion ... for painting the roofs of portacabins, which are probably never repainted during their lifetime

but aren't walked on and don't carry many ropes / poles / bikes / logs ....

I like Alan's idea though :blink:

You mean using it as an undercoat?

I don't like that idea at all. I know you'd have some topcoats but emulsion paint is porus and might let water thorugh if the topcoats are scratched. Also there might be an issue with compatibility of oil-based topcoats (or maybe not?) I can't really see the point - what's wrong with an oil-based undercoat?

Having said that I once used an exterior masonry paint along the gunnels of a narrowboat and went over it with gloss. I worked quite well as a non-slip surface!

on my boat canal boat that is im having artext on the roof which is hard wearing anti climb paint on the sides and pigeon deflectors on the hand rail,not very tradtional but praticaul and to stop the sun getting to my eyes i will look like this :huh::blink::blink::cheers::blink:

Hi our roof is painted with epifanes matt deck paint .It is anti glare and anti slip and seems to wear well.

also in can be touched up with no problems

David

Edited by davidandheather

The water base is just the medium in which the paint is applied, it evapourates when the paint cures. Its not as if its going to wash off. New cars are all supplied with water based paint these days, though polyurathane (plastic) lacquered to give it durability, and all bodyshops will be repairing with water based by 2007.

The water base is just the medium in which the paint is applied, it evapourates when the paint cures. Its not as if its going to wash off. New cars are all supplied with water based paint these days, though polyurathane (plastic) lacquered to give it durability, and all bodyshops will be repairing with water based by 2007.

does that mean that there's little difference in weathering, waterproof and wearing quality between an alkyd oil-based paint and a vinyl base?

does that mean that there's little difference in weathering, waterproof and wearing quality between an alkyd oil-based paint and a vinyl base?

Chris.

An emulsion and a solution is not the same thing at all, if fact an emulsion of two fluids means they do not mix but stay completely separate. Were you really serious about using emulsion paint on a boat ?

Chris.

An emulsion and a solution is not the same thing at all, if fact an emulsion of two fluids means they do not mix but stay completely separate. Were you really serious about using emulsion paint on a boat ?

but the end result appears to be that the medium, be it spirit or water, evaporates and leaves behind a plastic type paint film. I am serious about enquiring what is the difference between the finished paint film in respect of the qualities I mentioned.