Travel Power Engineers

Featured Posts

If the unit starts up normally but cuts out after a few seconds when you load it (tumble dryer work well for this).....we saw a similar problem on our friend boat.

Stripped out the alternator out and we found that the brushes were very worn.

Ringing around and searching T'intenet was providing scary prices of many hundred quid.

Took the alternator to a local auto alternator repair man, £15 later, new brushes and a full clean out, the alt was refitted and bingo normal service is resumed :)

Does anyone know someone who would be able to look at a friends Travel Power that is acting up?

The boat is near Bath on the K&A

Tim

Cox Automotive at Atherstone sorted my TP out last year. They needed both the generator (alternator) and the control box and both needed repair. Yes, it cost several hundred £ but it is rather more complicated than fixing a standard alternator. There will doubtless be a similar firm in your neck of the woods. Good luck.

but it is rather more complicated than fixing a standard alternator.

Disagree it IS a standard alternator with the regulator taken out. The three phase winding outputs are taken the the TP control box.

The same things wear out as a "standard" alternator, brushes, slip rings and bearings.

Disagree it IS a standard alternator with the regulator taken out. The three phase winding outputs are taken the the TP control box.

The same things wear out as a "standard" alternator, brushes, slip rings and bearings.

I don't pretend to know any detail about the alternators, but my understanding is that they do work at a much higher voltage than standard 12 or 24V charging alternators.

I think they would have to do so as the connecting cables have fairly modest cross-sections.

Tim

I don't pretend to know any detail about the alternators, but my understanding is that they do work at a much higher voltage than standard 12 or 24V charging alternators.

I think they would have to do so as the connecting cables have fairly modest cross-sections.

Tim

I think the point is not that it is identical to a standard alternator, but that it has the same types of components subject to the same failure modes, and is no more complex save for the higher operating voltage.

However the magic box of tricks that spits out 230v / 50 hz is certainly more complicated than an alternator regulator.

Edited by nicknorman

I think the point is not that it is identical to a standard alternator, but that it has the same types of components subject to the same failure modes, and is no more complex save for the higher operating voltage.

However the magic box of tricks that spits out 230v / 50 hz is certainly more complicated than an alternator regulator.

Mechanically the alternators are based on a standard Bosch model, IIRC, but electrically they are special.

The box of tricks is much more likely to be the source of failure, though the OP's 'acting up' might just be worn brushes depending on what form the acting takes, but anyone repairing one which has failed is likely to want both items to do the job thoroughly.

Tim

Mechanically the alternators are based on a standard Bosch model, IIRC, but electrically they are special.

The box of tricks is much more likely to be the source of failure, though the OP's 'acting up' might just be worn brushes depending on what form the acting takes, but anyone repairing one which has failed is likely to want both items to do the job thoroughly.

Tim

Do you (or anybody) know exactly which alternator it is? I would love to get a set of brushes to keep in my spare parts box.

..........Dave

Do you (or anybody) know exactly which alternator it is? I would love to get a set of brushes to keep in my spare parts box.

..........Dave

There have been (at least) two different models, but sorry I don't know which ones. Take a photo of yours & take it in to a proper auto electrical shop, there's a good chance they'll recognise the model from a picture. Or ask SirNibble of this parish.

Tim

There have been (at least) two different models, but sorry I don't know which ones. Take a photo of yours & take it in to a proper auto electrical shop, there's a good chance they'll recognise the model from a picture. Or ask SirNibble of this parish.

Tim

Travelpower%20Alternator%20Brushes%20110111r.jpg

This is the typical TP alternator brush pack, but the brushes in the plastic holder are easily replaced.

I believe that the donor alternator is a Bosch unit.

Travelpower%20Alternator%20Brushes%20110111r.jpg

This is the typical TP alternator brush pack, but the brushes in the plastic holder are easily replaced.

I believe that the donor alternator is a Bosch unit.

Thank you, a very nice photo too.

Its surprisingly difficult to take good "technical" pictures!

........Dave

Thank you, a very nice photo too.

Its surprisingly difficult to take good "technical" pictures!

Shame I can't claim the photo :( , nicked of the web ;)

This site is what I came across when we started investigating the problem Wells Cargo it showed exactly the alternator we had and the brushes looked just as worn as the photo. When I took the brush holder out I noticed that when carefully place back into position the brushes were only just pushed back by the slip rings, you should have a good 5mm or so of travel so the springs can keep the brushes against the slip rings.

Just read the blog again and noticed this useful nugget

Update 27/10/2011 – Mo & V on the good ship Balmaha have sourced replacment brushes (complete with brush holder) from Mackworth Vehicle Conversions (near Derby) for £22.66, i.e. less than half the sum we paid for the same goods elsewhere! Tel. 01332 825400, email enquiries@mackworth.biz

Edited by steve hayes