When is a winter stoppage not a stoppage

safsnowball

Featured Posts

As an example of what I mean, the first lock up from my mooring on the Huddersfield Narrow is shown on BW's stoppage list as :

4th Jan - 9th Mar 2012

Lock 20w, Greenfield grouting works to Lock

There has been no signs of any work going on yet, and no indication of when, if at all, it may start. I often go that way for a days run out but am worried that sods law being what it is I'm likely to come back and find the lock closed and access to my mooring blocked. Why do they show a stoppage for such a long period if the reality is substantially less ?

As an example of what I mean, the first lock up from my mooring on the Huddersfield Narrow is shown on BW's stoppage list as :

4th Jan - 9th Mar 2012

There has been no signs of any work going on yet, and no indication of when, if at all, it may start. I often go that way for a days run out but am worried that sods law being what it is I'm likely to come back and find the lock closed and access to my mooring blocked. Why do they show a stoppage for such a long period if the reality is substantially less ?

They place observers near the lock and at the first sign of anybody moving to use it a team of contractors will leap out of nowhere don the hard hats and high viz jackets and immediately close the canal to navigation.....

These mysterious erratic stoppages are usually the result of the well known BW's intermittent bouts of constipation.They all deserve to have a public towpath ''Enema'' administered via a large cheap bacteria ridden plastic funnel purchased from Wilkinsons.

4th Jan - 9th Mar 2012

BW has now changed the date of this stoppage:

Halls Lock 20W

Friday 9 March 2012 - Friday 30 March 2012

To allow localised dewatering of lock chamber for major grouting works at Halls Lock 20w.

The navigation and towpath will be closed between Locks 21 and 20 West to allow installation of grout into lock chamber and towpath approach to seal extensive leakage.

A towpath diversion will be in place.

This would seem to fit in with what I have heard, that work on other locks in running behind schedule, so this has been moved back to the end of the stoppage "season", which is longer than normal on the HNC this year, because of the reconstruction of the canal at Huddersfield Waterfront.

Edited by MartinClark

These mysterious erratic stoppages are usually the result of the well known BW's intermittent bouts of constipation.They all deserve to have a public towpath ''Enema'' administered via a large cheap bacteria ridden plastic funnel purchased from Wilkinsons.

shame there isn't the equivalent of 'face-aches' 'like' option on this forum

but I liked this post for its satirical comedy value at least !

in this day and age BW can be very slow to communicate changes and they are very confused about what telephone numbers to ring to get info about stoppages...