The things I've learnt...

lucyblucky

Featured Posts

I have the same design (but with a trad stern) , engine bilge with two separate bilges "triangles" either side of it .The sides of these bilges are actually the hull (swims) so they do create a lot of condensation which in course collects in the bottom of the side bilges, may I just add that one of the outer sides houses my skin tank and collects just the same amount of condensation when compared to the opposite side (which has no skin tank) Nothing to worry about but it does tend to get you thinking "where the hell has that come from". :cheers:

To add to the discussion about the original post, no-one has mentioned that older boats had wet bilges. How old is your boat lucyblucky? On older boats, water that fell onto the well deck at the front of the boat would run back under the floor through the bilges to the stern, where it would collect until pumped out by hand or by bilge pump.

In modern boats the front deck area will be self draining, the water running out through drain holes in the boat sides well above water level. The bilges under the floor on such boats should be dry, and so no water should be arriving at the stern bilges that way.

The commonest cause of water in the bilges at the stern of modern trad boats is the leaky stern gland, as already described by others.

Other sources of water in the bilges include water or heating systems leaking, as already mentioned. If the water system is leaking you'll probably hear the water pump start running at odd times when no water is being drawn from the taps, shower etc. That should be investigated as it could mean all sorts of problems. A leaky central heating circuit is harder to diagnose, but it's not likely to produce the sort of volumes of water you mention unless the leak's really bad. In that case it would probably be obvious though!

Your water tank or the pipework between it and the pump could be leaking. That would not make the pump run, but could still result in a lot of water where it shouldn't be in the case of a bad leak. Friends filling their tank at a slow water point a while ago took their lunch while waiting for the tank to fill. It wasn't until they found carpets floating in the cabin at the stern of the boat that they realised the problem wasn't just a slow tap! A connection on their water tank had worked loose and was leaking into the bilges. That took a dehumidifier and the heating on full for a week to dry up, after the water had been pumped out!

A hot water system with a calorifier (like a small domestic hot water cylinder) will have a pressure relief valve (PRV), usually on the calorifier itself. These may let water out as the system heats up from cold, but again, the quantity should be small unless the PRV is faulty.

Finally, a comment about greaseless stern tubes. The commonest type currently around is that supplied by Vetus, and a look around their website (www.vetus.nl) should provide more details for anyone who thinks they have one or wishes to know more about them.

trackman

Edited by trackman

• 3 weeks later...

Yes it can. If the inboard end of the stern tube has a rubber boot on it, then it's probably the greaseless type. Some of these are supposed to be given a tiny amount of special lubricant now & then, best to find out precisely what you have & establish what's needed

Tim

I finally got around to taking a photo can anyone tell me is this greaseless?

P1020332.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got around to taking a photo can anyone tell me is this greaseless?

P1020332.jpg

I've never seen that exact type, but it follows the general style of the greaseless models. I imagine the blue hose connects to a fitting on the hull, probably the weedhatch?

Tim

I've never seen that exact type, but it follows the general style of the greaseless models. I imagine the blue hose connects to a fitting on the hull, probably the weedhatch?

Tim

What is the blue pipe for Tim?

Edit- just seen the other post...feel a tad foolish now...

Edited by Dog