smoking

Titan

Featured Posts

So this makes it ok? I get lots of abuse for being a bit of a hippy. I can easily cut my hair, trim my beard and wear a tracksuit and become like those that throw out the abuse so it's ok for them to do it is it?

Not at all! I totally support your right to choose how you wear your hair and beard (which after all doesn't impact upon others at all). I just feel that your 'Deep South' comparison was not a valid one, as discrimination against someone for their colour and / or race can't possibly be compared with discrimination against someone for their choices.

Edit for spelling mistook

Edited by Leni

Hi Martin, saw Angelwood on Sat (doing heritage centre duty!, she looks good. I have a photo of her just after the rescue.

Re the potholing, good luck with that. I had the cameras etc up and down and a laparoscopy too, and still here to tell the tale.

Rob

Thankyou Angelwood is slowly getting there, i guess another twelve months and most of it will be completed, well we hope, amazing just how wonderfull just being by the canalside is let alone cruising. The paintwork will i guess be the final part of the plan, and im sure once the potholing has been done i shall be able to spend more time there Martin

So, if I wish to eat alfresco, it then means that I have to suffer other people's dirty habits too? I don't think so!

Why, on a lovely sunny day where it would be pleasant to eat outside, should I have to go indoors just to allow other people's sad indulgence.

Sorry, Mike - I'm with totally with Trampy on this one. By going outside, you knowingly place yourself at risk of being near smokers smoking. When I smoked, I would try not to sit near other people that were eating as a courtesy, but sometimes that wasn't practicably possible.

It is patently obvious that smokers are in the minority when it comes to public opinion about the effects of their habit, and as such, should bow to the majority vote that they should accomodate other people's wishes and not, as they wrongfully believe, the other way around!

While they have the law on their side, why should they? If you ask them politely they might honour your request, but it's rather arrogant to think your view should trump the law of the land, just because you think you're in the majority.

Surely, any intelligent person who is all too aware of the consequences of inhaling nicotine and the potential painful death that it can lead to, would give up and save many others the discomfort of their actions in the process!

Yes, but that's entirely their lawful choice.

Edited by cl@rkey

So, if I wish to eat alfresco, it then means that I have to suffer other people's dirty habits too? I don't think so!

Why, on a lovely sunny day where it would be pleasant to eat outside, should I have to go indoors just to allow other people's sad indulgence.

It is patently obvious that smokers are in the minority when it comes to public opinion about the effects of their habit, and as such, should bow to the majority vote that they should accomodate other people's wishes and not, as they wrongfully believe, the other way around!

Surely, any intelligent person who is all too aware of the consequences of inhaling nicotine and the potential painful death that it can lead to, would give up and save many others the discomfort of their actions in the process!

Mike

You seem to have a serious problem about people smoking. Are you the same about people drinking?

Mike

It is a very dangerous mindset that holds the view that the majority view must subjugate any minority interests. Gays, Christians, Muslims, Jews, disabled people and even boaters, are also minorities. By your logic, their views should be stamped out. Most sane people would rightly see that as persecution and extreme intolerance. It is because of views like yours that all these anti-discrimination laws have had to be passed.

Wow...(some quite scary people on here) I was find this thread are real kick start...listening to peoples stories and how well they were doing... shame its lost its way a bit...

Good afternoon, Madam.

Smoking, Non-smoking, or Mad-as-a-Box-of-Frogs Rabidly Anti-Smoking?

So, if I wish to eat alfresco, it then means that I have to suffer other people's dirty habits too?

No you don't. Just sit away from smokers.

Fair enough if you are sat outside enjoying a meal then a smoker sits near you and starts puffing away, blowing smoke in your direction you have every right to be a bit miffed. But to go and sit amongst smokers and insist none of them smoke is crazy.

Anyways, I understand that you are anti smoking, and as I've said before I'm with you on that, it is a disgusting habit.

Not at all! I totally support your right to choose how you wear your hair and beard (which after all doesn't impact upon others at all). I just feel that your 'Deep South' comparison was not a valid one, as discrimination against someone for their colour and / or race can't possibly be compared with discrimination against someone for their choices.

Edit for spelling mistook

Oh I see:

So it's ok to discriminate against someone who chooses to be Muslim Or Jewish or another religion you'd care to mention?

Interesting.

Used to smoke but had a minor stroke 9 years ago which was due to smoking was not aware at the time that smokers are more at risk of strokes .

So I took the warning and give up there and then.

Tobacco smoke is a complex mixture of chemicals such as carbon monoxide, tar, formaldehyde, cyanide, and ammonia—many of which are known carcinogens.

So to any smoker is it worth a slow early death

At 61 I have smoked most of my life, I have never attempted to give up until recently and am now using a combination of cutting down and electronic cigarettes. The main problem I have is that I simply don't want to give up, I still enjoy it too much.

I acknowledge all the proven dangers and associated effects and for that reason I have now decided that it is time to stop.

I would like to think that I have always been what might be regarded as a 'considerate' smoker and have avoided as much as possible affecting those around me.

I was in the Liverpool Royal a few weeks ago for a non smoking related treatment and I was really hammered by a young junior doctor because I had put smoker on my details form. Even though I explained that I was in the process of winding down she became quite aggressive and critical about the fact that I ever took it up in the first place and had never tried to give it up. She quoted several elder members of her family that had died from what could have been smoking related illnesses.

At one point her attitude became almost offensive and it was quite embarrassing.

I had pointed out to her that I had understood that there was no defence for smoking and wasn't trying to make one.

A far cry from a day in 1967 when I was in Dover Hospital with a ruptured kidney gained from a football match playing against Rickett and Coleman workers. The surgeon sat on the end of my bed explaining my situation, he lit a Senior Service and offered one to me. The matron of the ward, who was quite a dragon most of the time, appeared with a second ashtray, in those days ashtrays were supplied by most beds.

As I have said, I have no defence to offer about the effects of smoking, and I feel very sad when I see young people smoking today but I do get frustrated with the increasing number of people I meet who when being told that I am giving up then immediately launch into the 'you should never have started in the first place', or you should have given up long ago, or ' a man of your age should know better' argument.

For most of my life smoking was NOT regarded as anti social, in fact very much the opposite. Most schools had their groups that smoked behind the bike sheds, smoking was allowed in restaurants and cinemas, doctor's and dentist's waiting rooms, shops, offices, pretty much anywhere. God help you if you sat in the cinema behind someone with a pipe or a cigar!

Most of the actors smoked on screen and 'role models' were rarely seen without a cigarette. (Except Cliff Richards of course)

Smoking was 'normal' on most forms of transport, BR would usually throw the odd No Smoking carriage onto the end of trains and only later it sort of became more acceptable to only smoke upstairs on a bus.

To offer someone a cigarette was considered as a very sociable introduction.

Newspapers, magazines, adverts tv and cinema, actively encouraged you to smoke. There was a strong element of manliness etc about being seen not only smoking, but with the right cigarette. You are never alone with a Strand.

None of this takes away from the now known dangers to the smoker and those around them but I don't think the whole change of ethos of 'smoking and society' is usually taken into account these days.

I will give up smoking, even though I don't want to, but I will not be 'bullied' into it by others?

I think that any non smoker who is inconvenienced or threatened by someone else's habit has a perfect right to request that the situation be changed, either by moving or sticking to the law.

I do not believe that a non smoker has the right to dictate or lecture someone who chooses to smoke, I don't believe that there is anyone today who is not aware of the downside or potential side effects.

I suppose much the same can be said about drinking. I don't drink very much but have friends who love to get rat arsed. I wouldn't dream of lecturing them. Or the drunken louts that I have to weave around on my way home or about my business. I choose not not drink, but I still have to tolerate or cope with the effects of those who do around me.

Apologies, rant over :unsure:

• Greenie 3

Oh I see:

So it's ok to discriminate against someone who chooses to be Muslim Or Jewish or another religion you'd care to mention?

Interesting.

Sheesh! :banghead: Where did I say discrimination of any sort was OK?

Let's get it straight. I am Totally Against ANY Sort Of Discrimination, OK?

My only disagreement with you was your choice of implied comparison. Comparing discrimination against smokers with a 'Klu Klux Klan' type support for discrimination based on colour or race was, in my opinion, wrong.

I fully support your right to practise any religion you chose, wear your hair any way you chose, and smoke yourself to death if you chose, without suffering discrimination. But let's face it, no-one's going to lynch you or 'necklace' you with a burning tyre for smoking, and I'm afraid I do think there's a magnitude of difference because you chose to smoke, whereas a black person can't chose their colour.

I hope that's cleared that up. Sorry for any confusion.

As a reformed smoker, I only quit once around 15 yrs ago and that was virtually 'Cold Turkey'

I noticed the physiological addiction to the drug was short lived - within 48 hours, the slight tummy cramp, irregular heart beat etc had gone. It was the habit that took a while to quit. I had to completely change my routine to avoid all those times in the day when I made time for a smoke. When I did get the occasional craving in the following weeks, I found that sucking a small piece of strong dark chocolate seemed to take the angst away almost immediately.

Oddly, I still dream that I smoke even though I only smoked for a few years....

It's only since the smoking ban was introduced into pubs that I've been comfortable returning to the pub for a pint!

As one who has been thru it, I must congratulate the OP on their success and hope that they become a 'non-smoker' very soon!

Good Luck!!

At 61 I have smoked most of my life, I have never attempted to give up until recently and am now using a combination of cutting down and electronic cigarettes. The main problem I have is that I simply don't want to give up, I still enjoy it too much.

Martin, great post - have a greenie!

I gave up at the start of this year, a 25 year habit I was still really enjoying at the time, and with no health issues forcing me to - at least, none that I know of! It's been nearly 4 months now, cold turkey, and unfortunately I do still get the urge to smoke from time to time. I've had to stop going to pubs (temporarily, I hope), as I know after a few beers with mates that I could quite easily start up again.

What I found interesting was examining my reasons to quit. For most smokers, as addicts, I think it boils down to a 'quality of life' versus 'quantity of life' issue. For me, the decision could have gone either way. It sounds corny, but what finally swung it for me was my curiosity to see what the future holds for us all; technology, medical science, I want to stick around as long as possible to see how far we take things.

And, in my dotage, if I think the world is going to hell in a handcart? Sod it. Smoking.gif

I will give up smoking, even though I don't want to, but I will not be 'bullied' into it by others?

About 5 years ago I bruised some ribs at work and, after a week or so of not being able to breathe deeply, I went to the docs to get it checked out. After the examination, he told me that I had a pleural effusion and that, whilst he didn't want to alarm me, there was a significant risk it was cancer (given my lifestyle, heavy smoker, etc.). Totally shocked, I asked "but isn't it more likely to be connected with my injury??"

"There is a chance it could be that, but I don't want to underplay the seriousness of your condition. I'm booking you in immediately for x-rays and a MRI"

Two weeks I had to wait for the MRI, I seriously thought my number was up! I drank more, I smoked more (why not?). All topics of conversations with me at that time were kind of morbid, and I was pretty much resigned to my fate! I then remembered a doctor friend of mine who I'd not spoken to for ages, and decided to give him a call.

"Nah, don't worry! The pleural effusion is almost certainly from your injury - your doctor's just doing his job. He's trying to get leverage on you to quit smoking!"

"What, by implying I might not be long for this world?! Nice!!"

I had absolutely no desire to quit with those sort of tactics, and in fact I was smoking more ciggies as a result of it all!

Edited by cl@rkey

Thank you!

Very interesting and great words of encouragement. I will get there, I am certain of that :)

The other battle I have is that, for me, it is not just the nicotine addiction. I have always rolled my own cigarettes, and always used Old Holborn tobacco. There is also the whole 'ceremony' of rolling a cigarette? I often just roll a cigarette but not smoke it if the situation is inappropriate.

I couldn't smoke 'normal' cigarettes if I tried, I have tried one or two and really didn't like them at all!! And if they would stop making Old Holborn I would have given up years ago!

It also means that it is not that expensive.

Many years ago I worked for a very up market Mercedez Benz dealership in London. I was often called to sit in on board meetings. After one of the early meetings the MD who was very 'old school' and very particular, took me aside and said that whilst he appreciated that I had a very attractive leather tobacco pouch, and a Dunhill lighter, the board room was not really a suitable place to be smoking hand rolled tobacco.

I pointed questioningly at the fat Monte Cristo he always had stuffed between his fingers.

We remained very good friends from that day until long after I moved on :-)

What I found interesting was examining my reasons to quit.!

I quit 15 years ago, after many tries and failures. The big difference was the Allen Carr book, in which he gets you to understand why you smoke in the first place. A real eye opener!

The author tried a follow-up book on how to lose weight. It was a turkey. You have to eat, but you don't have to smoke.

The other battle I have is that, for me, it is not just the nicotine addiction. I have always rolled my own cigarettes, and always used Old Holborn tobacco. There is also the whole 'ceremony' of rolling a cigarette? I often just roll a cigarette but not smoke it if the situation is inappropriate.

I was an Old Holborn smoker too! The only other people I'd ever see smoking it were guys in their 60s & 70s (errm, or guys who looked that old!). I used to love the smell of a freshly opened pack... hmmm... much like a breaking the seal on your fave jar of coffee. The act of rolling a ciggie was definitely all part of the enjoyment.

In fact, I was such a fan of that particular tobacco that when, in our local elections, I saw a tick box for a party called Old Holborn, I was briefly tempted to change my vote! :unsure:

Martin, great post - have a greenie!

I gave up at the start of this year, a 25 year habit I was still really enjoying at the time, and with no health issues forcing me to - at least, none that I know of! It's been nearly 4 months now, cold turkey, and unfortunately I do still get the urge to smoke from time to time. I've had to stop going to pubs (temporarily, I hope), as I know after a few beers with mates that I could quite easily start up again.

I also gave up early this year and like you was a happy Old Holborn smoker but like Ally I didnt go cold turkey or use patches, I bought an Electronic Pipe or E-pipe and took up Vapeing instead of smoking.

There were no issues at all, didnt crave the ciggies and the pipe replaced the habit ceremony and of course, having a heavy session with chums isnt a problem as the pipe is there if I want to join any social smoking group.

In actual fact after 3 months the pipe is now also almost hardly ever used.

I can strongly recomend E-cigs or E-pipe if you want to give up, far better then patches and cold turkey.

I think the main key factor is that you WANT to give up, not that you just feel you should or just doing it to please folk

Yep, the e-cigs do replace smoking very well, they still give you the 'hand to mouth' and 'something to fiddle with' bit....I was also a rolly smoker!...as well as the inhale effect of the vapour...and they can just smell fab, with so many choices of flavour.

We are constantly asked about them in pubs, by jealous, often damp and cold, smokers, who come in from the smoking area and see us vaping away in comfort with our pints. We once got asked by a non-smoker...his wife smoked and he was looking to help her give up....we vaped as we talked, and he was sniffing the vapour....went away saying he was tempted to take them up himself, they smelt so good!!!! Not quite the idea, but hey!

I have been gifted the e cig kit..but I am being pushed to quit..once the pushing stops..I will give it a go. Glad to see the good reports.

Quite agree, if your under pressure to stop then you'll fail as you still want to smoke. You have to want to stop so all the best when you get to that stage.

I chose to go down the E-Pipe route rather than the E-Cig because i had visions of me flicking it out of the car window or into the cut following a few puffs as was the usual habit