Elected boaters - If not the usual suspects then who...

jam pudd

Featured Posts

Views anyone ?

Don't set yourself up to be kicked everytime something goes wrong for the boaters. It is up to CaRT to act earnestly on behalf of all users. It serves nobody well to create bad publicity for CaRT; it will put off public involvement.

Having the 'right stuff' is down to CaRT itself and its executive. This confrontational sparring has to be a thing of the past. A bit wishful, I know.

Well I'm duly confused, because not only was there apparently an existing member called "Bob Ellison" with a boat named "Jam Pudd", there is not only also the recently created "Jam Pudd" account, but yet another longer standing "NB Jam Pudd" account, created even a little before the "Bob Ellison" one.

There appears to be only one licensed boat listed called Jam Pudd, so presumably Bob, or at least someone associated with that boat has three different accounts on Canal World ?

Is that right, please, Bob, and if so any particular reason why ?

I've just done some digging into this and have found that "Jam Pudd", "NB Jam Pudd" and "Bob Ellison" are all the same. I'll get in touch with Bob separately about this to sort it out.

Liam

personally i would rather see the people who live/work/travel the system elected i certainly don't want senior/middle managers with delusions of grandure in charge.

that is how we got in the mess that the country is in!!

we have a mix at the wey & arun and each individual has their own idea of how we should proceed. i certainly don't expect my way or anyone elses to ride rough shod over others.

there has been ocassions when i've suggested things that have been thwarted by the rest of our group as has everyone else. no hard feelings, as ultimately we all strive for the same end result. and i'm not complacent enough to think my way is the only way. sadly a lot of management is about control!!

• 2 weeks later...

In my view what is needed is people who can think outside the box, who have experience of the canal network, and are not political or have connections with the outgoing regime, and can communicate with the whole of the canal community in plain language.

Edited by davidc

My tuppence is that the biggest obstacle will be persuading the new organisation that it is a charity rather than a branch of government, and with the attitude that goes with that - Council will need to face down an institutionally establishment body. It will need to be comfortable with having a view sometimes in opposition to Defra, and to fight its corner effectively. My biggest fear is that the organisation itself will still behave as though it's business as usual. If they persist in that, the waterways will be back as in 1960 within 10 years.

(retires back into obscurity)

Considering Alan's background in computing, I assume the above was intended to be ironic joke.

For what it worth, and given the messy way in which BW has conducted the voting process so far, it is reasonably to assume that they may not put the necessary safeguards into place, even if the means to do it is common knowledge.

BW are not running the election, the Electoral Reform Society is, so I think we can safely assume that it will be properly conducted. They have a LOT of experience and run elections for all sorts of organisations, and have a high reputation to maintain.

• Greenie 1

The most important requirement of any candidate is to represent the canals for all the current and future users.

The current (artificial) pigeon holeing of canal lovers is designed to divide and rule. In the new political reality we all need to protect and fight for what we feel are the essential elements of our history an way of life.

There are many major political choices to be made over the next decade warring groups of canal users will make it easy to abandon the waterways again. We need people in the Trust who believe in waterways for all.