boating uk

bigcol

Featured Posts

http://www.uk-boating.tv/?cid=7&vid=67'>http://www.uk-boating.tv/?cid=7&vid=67

http://www.uk-boating.tv/?cid=7

boating uk turned up at Willowbridge marina,last week, they do programs on inland boating

onT V (SKY 231 & Freesat 402)

interesting re ocean princess at wyvern, also done a artical on willowbridge boat yard which is quite good, and news of another 140 berth marina on the cards in 2 years!!!

also fimed the wife on our Dutch coaster barge, she dont speak nicely to me like that. :lol: :lol:

there a few videos on the sites home page, interesting films of the waterways,boats and marina

Barby marinas not featured though

Col

Hello Col,

thank you very much for posting that link, I enjoyed especially watching the "Ocean Princess" story, of which I've been trying to get more information for ages, and here it was, just like that.

Those programms I can't receive in France, so I'm over the moon with "youtube".

Cheers,

Peter.

Hi Peter

its nice to get a boating fix in the comfort of your saloon.I too found the Ocean princess bit interesting, He got a good business down here as well, does anyone know how many hire boats he has now?,ive seen him reverse that boat a long way to willowbridge in Reverse!!! totaly relaxed, chating away. to tow back a new shell for his fleet

i find the site very interesting, great to watch the videos, interesting artical from Stirling re boat inverters/charging etc

col

Edited by bigcol

The Wyvern Shipping hire fleet seems to be as big as it has ever been, and I think we counted something like 34 boats at their base a few weeks ago, (not including the Ocean Princess - obviously not a hire boat, or ones they have sold into private ownership).

Moored mostly 3 abreast, but some 4 abreast, they occupy quite a lot of canal!

I was interested by the Ocean Princess video, but thought it a shame it all shot at no more than a couple of miles an hour on the very still waters at Leighton Buzzard. A great shame no footage seems to exist of it on its exploits. It never occurred to me when "bantering" in Newhaven, for example, that a Grand Union based narrow boat had come there by sea!

I'm not sure there were any stills of it at sea, even, were there ?

There are a few pics on the website (http://www.canalholidays.co.uk/oceanprincess.php) but not many open ocean shots :)

The "Ocean Princess" is clearly a much better design, and more adapted for some seawork than Chris Coburn's "Progress" where he still has to fight the tiller standing on the rear-deck in the elements.

Peter.

Isn't Progress steered from inside the rear hatch with the doors sealed closed...? Even so, I'd would prefer a forward conning position when at sea :)

It's most likely that you are right about him standing inside the rear hatch, instead of on the deck, but even that doesn't look like a very safe position to me, unless the sea is flat as a mirror.

My granddad was a sturdy seaman who sailed on the big sailing freighters more then 100 years ago, they were struggeling outside in the worst weather conditions, compared to him, I am a whimp driving my boat sheltered from the elements nice and comfortably seated inside.

Peter.