Music. CD's Radio etc.

lemontoes

Featured Posts

One way to amplyfy the sound from an iPhone and the like is to stand it in an (empty!!!!) pint glass.

Not hi fi quality at all but usesful if you have nothing else to hand...

try it....

We use car stereos (one with CD and input for MP3 and one cassette type for those old fashioned tapes). Be aware though that they use a fair amount of juice especially cassettes. I used to be a chauffeur and had to keep an eye to the battery level whilst waiting outside a function on those long winter evenings. Bit embarrassing if the car wouldn't start!

I have a Dab radio wired into the 12 volt system which can pause, fast forward, rewind and record live radio (it's fun when you're bored). I also have tiny aux cable to connect my iPod to the radio. If I want to play a CD which for some reason is not on my iPod then I use my trusty old laptop.

Edited by Leonie

I have a car stereo for radio and cd's but it didn't like my old mp3 player and i haven't tried my iphone on it yet. I use my laptop for the listen again function for bbc shows and podcasts and the free view for live digital stations. I'd like a DAB radio to have up the back when we're going along.

I also think some wires might have come loose from the car stereo last time we went up Tardebigge (probably bumped a couple of times... :blush: ) Need to sort that sometime soon it keeps cutting out.

Not the 12v angle you all seem to be coming from,I use my laptop for music storage and internet radio,hooked up to the most incredable pc 2-1 speaker set made by sandstrom.Subwoofer and two tiny bookshelf speakers,which give my 30 year old Kefs and very expensive amp/cd player a good run for the money.Cost ..... £30 from PC world stunning and easily the best £30 I've spent.

On Ripple we had a car CD and radio set, fitted by a grateful person who'd borrowed her to get a holiday with his dad and his kids (his wife had left him). Juno only has one battery, and all but zero domestic electrics, so we use an ipod on a battery powered docking unit, it has the advantage we can take it onto the back deck and put it on the "dashboard" as we cruise on the river.

Having seen Martin's post, may add a Robert's Radio to the set up

let see, I have a MOTU 828 Mk 2 connected to a yamaha I88X through ADAT. (Fibre). The I88X is connected to a Yamaha 01X 24 track desk with Mlan. This is conencted to two Alesis near field active referance speakers. The radio is connected inputs on the desk along with the Spotify connection from my Iphone in it's dock. So any track any time.

There are also hammond and leslie, a luts of other stuido bits of equipment connected to the desk for when I get boord.

BobB

let see, I have a MOTU 828 Mk 2 connected to a yamaha I88X through ADAT. (Fibre). The I88X is connected to a Yamaha 01X 24 track desk with Mlan. This is conencted to two Alesis near field active referance speakers. The radio is connected inputs on the desk along with the Spotify connection from my Iphone in it's dock. So any track any time.

There are also hammond and leslie, a luts of other stuido bits of equipment connected to the desk for when I get boord.

BobB

I'm going to get a coffee and then read this again. :blink:

A Sony car radio with ability to play MP3s compiled on my computer. The fader control used to switch/apportion output between front and back cabin speakers.

There is one thing to watch with car radios and that is if you want more then just FM reception you may well also need an amplified/electronic aerial to get both FM & AM reception in some areas. This will be even more true if you go for one that is DAB capable because the length of the aerial is specific to the wave band for optimum reception so for DAB to AM you probably should have an aerial that accurately adjusts from a few inches to perhaps 2ft or more. You will get reception with a "standard" car aerial but it may well be exceptionally poor on AM in some areas. I think such an aerial from a reputable supplier could cost as much or more than a cheap car radio.

Also remember that an all steel narrowboat is a fair Faraday cage so using a radio with a built in aerial can be problematical if the transmitter, your window and radio are not more or less in line.