Launching today wish us luck!

aharg

Featured Posts

No, he was just a new forum member who wanted to share his anticipation & excitement with others of a like-minded persuasion who are (supposedly) interested in boats.

But since he hasn't replied perhaps you ruined his day. I hope not.

I hope not as well

OnionBargee is currently going through the clique initiation process. His barbed comments need a bit of fine tuning, before he can become a fully fledged member.

Good luck with your new boat Aharg. I guess the boat is now wet and I trust all went smoothly.

:lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

Just a quick update and thanks for all the good wishes from the forum! Merry Christmas and Yule to everyone from our new boat that is now sat in Penton Hook Marina on the thames. The launch went well despite the driver of the lorry dissappearing for two hours and leaving the crane and crew standing on the key waiting! Then to watch our pride and joy dangle in the air 30 ft above the river was heartstopping (pics to follow!) Now we are on our own in the river to find the boat builders have reversed our thrust controls somehow so the boat goes back when pushed the lever forward and forward when it goes back. Everyone has dissapeard for xmas well you cant blame them but we wanted to get out there, and will soon, despite reversed controls! Fueled up and ready to go, one working toilet, two lights, camping gas stove, fitting a hand made kitchen, squirrel stove keeps us warm and cosy!

We are out on the furthest pontoon close to the river (where we can do least damage im guessing) and waking up to watch two kingfishers catch fish off your mooring ropes, swans landing in the morning light, cormorants fishing, ripples on the water - well i dont need to go on about that experience to you old hands but for me - wow this is the life isnt it?! Everyone we have met so far has given us so much good advice and we are starting to settle into the life although only half way through our fit out.

I will try and post some pictures very soon.

If i have learned one thing its that a boater needs to develop a skin as thick as a rhinosorous, so the odd quirky comments from this wonderful forum are so outweighted by all your good wishes as to be insignificant. And besides we cant all be expected to be civil at that time in the morning can we? :)

Thanks again all

Andrew (and thanks Mike for your kind offer i would like to take you up on that hope we meet up soon :)

Edited by aharg
  • Greenie 1

Hi all

Just a quick update and thanks for all the good wishes from the forum! Merry Christmas and Yule to everyone from our new boat that is now sat in Penton Hook Marina on the thames. The launch went well despite the driver of the lorry dissappearing for two hours and leaving the crane and crew standing on the key waiting! Then to watch our pride and joy dangle in the air 30 ft above the river was heartstopping (pics to follow!) Now we are on our own in the river to find the boat builders have reversed our thrust controls somehow so the boat goes back when pushed the lever forward and forward when it goes back. Everyone has dissapeard for xmas well you cant blame them but we wanted to get out there, and will soon, despite reversed controls! Fueled up and ready to go, one working toilet, two lights, camping gas stove, fitting a hand made kitchen, squirrel stove keeps us warm and cosy!

We are out on the furthest pontoon close to the river (where we can do least damage im guessing) and waking up to watch two kingfishers catch fish off your mooring ropes, swans landing in the morning light, cormorants fishing, ripples on the water - well i dont need to go on about that experience to you old hands but for me - wow this is the life isnt it?! Everyone we have met so far has given us so much good advice and we are starting to settle into the life although only half way through our fit out.

I will try and post some pictures very soon.

If i have learned one thing its that a boater needs to develop a skin as thick as a rhinosorous, so the odd quirky comments from this wonderful forum are so outweighted by all your good wishes as to be insignificant. And besides we cant all be expected to be civil at that time in the morning can we? :)

Thanks again all

Andrew (and thanks Mike for your kind offer i would like to take you up on that hope we meet up soon :)

glad everything is going well,if you like the winter onboard your going to love the summer!!..i think the initial comment wasnt meant to be as it was read.the blokes normaly prity cool and helpful..pics would be wonderful.

... Watch two kingfishers catch fish off your mooring ropes, swans landing in the morning light, cormorants fishing, ripples on the water - ! Everyone we have met so far has given us so much good advice and we are starting to settle into the life Andrew (and thanks Mike for your kind offer :)

One NEVER gets tired of reading what you wrote above and one NEVER tires of hearing the exploits of new entrants living the life. Well done and may you have many happy years on the River. And maybe you might even venture some day into the cut?

Edited by Pentargon