C&RT how many should we select?

AlanH

How many nominees for the C&RT election should we select?   

18 members have voted

1. 1. Number of nominees?

Featured Posts

If we just select suitable candidates the numbers will be self selecting.

That is true but a single candidate would attract more votes from CWDF members in the final election than four separate ones will individually.

Edited by AlanH

Does it not make sense to start a thread where people who want to stand can declare themselves? I agree that from there the numbers are likely to be self selecting.

How will they be self selecting? Let's suppose that we get ten people wanting to stand. We then have a poll. If the poll idicates that there is one person with ten votes, another with eight and so on then, if there is no target figure for the number of "official" candidates, all will stand and divide the CWDF vote. If we select one candidate then he/she will gain all CWDF votes in the election.

How will they be self selecting? Let's suppose that we get ten people wanting to stand. We then have a poll. If the poll idicates that there is one person with ten votes, another with eight and so on then, if there is no target figure for the number of "official" candidates, all will stand and divide the CWDF vote. If we select one candidate then he/she will gain all CWDF votes in the election.

I'd be very surprised if we get ten people willing to stand.

I say we wait and see how many stand and take it from there.

I can't vote in this spurious poll, because I don't know if I will be able to vote on my ballot paper for more than one candidate!

There you go. I confidently predict that there will be no "official" CWDF candidate(s).

There you go. I confidently predict that there will be no "official" CWDF candidate(s).

I am not sure if "Official CWDF candidate" is exactly the right thing, we are a forum not a club. I think the forum would act as a voice for anyone wanting to stand, and hopefully be supported by as many forum posters as feel that candidate represents there views.

In my case I have always been very clear about my views of CaRT and would only vote for someone that shares my views of the way forward.

I am not sure if "Official CWDF candidate" is exactly the right thing, we are a forum not a club. I think the forum would act as a voice for anyone wanting to stand, and hopefully be supported by as many forum posters as feel that candidate represents there views.

In my case I have always been very clear about my views of CaRT and would only vote for someone that shares my views of the way forward.

this

I've spoken to the Electoral Reform Services person who's managing the election. The voting will be full STV for the 4 posts, therefore it's worth putting up conning four people to stand.

If you want to find out more about STV and how it works, take a look at http://www.electoral-reform.org.uk/?PageID=483

The important thing to note is that although you have only one vote, if your preferred candidate is either elected or eliminated your vote is transferred to your next preferred unelected/uneliminated candidate (until the four have been elected). Thus it's important not only to have four candidates but also for us to express our preferences in the same order together.

I've run many elections under STV for a student union (15,000 voters, 30% turnout for the senior posts); the reallocation process is hellish on paper, but now we have computers it's a doddle....

Cheers,

--

Dave Parry

Well I've no quarrel with STV and now we know we can put up 4 candidates but once again I come back to...... WHAT HEAVING MORON ANNOUNCES AN ELECTION, SETS A DEADLINE FOR NOMINATIONS AND A POLLING DATE AND THEN KEEPS THE MECHANICS OF VOTING UNDER THEIR HAT UNTIL ASKED :angry: Typical BW clusterfu<k!

If only about 30% of boaters vote (would be surprised if that many vote) can we then run to The Tories and cry foul.

I've been involved in a few elections with lower turnout than that and never run to anyone. Usually I've been delighted with the result and run to the tories only to ask them if they have any plans for the future and do those plans involve Norman Tebbits dads bike :lol:

I've been involved in a few elections with lower turnout than that and never run to anyone. Usually I've been delighted with the result and run to the tories only to ask them if they have any plans for the future and do those plans involve Norman Tebbits dads bike :lol:

Was thinking about Tories trying to change Union Ballots to say that strike ballots should only count if over 50% of total membership vote for strike.

Well I've no quarrel with STV and now we know we can put up 4 candidates but once again I come back to...... WHAT HEAVING MORON ANNOUNCES AN ELECTION, SETS A DEADLINE FOR NOMINATIONS AND A POLLING DATE AND THEN KEEPS THE MECHANICS OF VOTING UNDER THEIR HAT UNTIL ASKED :angry: Typical BW clusterfu<k!

Sally Ash?

Edited by Allan(nb Albert)

Well I've no quarrel with STV and now we know we can put up 4 candidates but once again I come back to...... WHAT HEAVING MORON ANNOUNCES AN ELECTION, SETS A DEADLINE FOR NOMINATIONS AND A POLLING DATE AND THEN KEEPS THE MECHANICS OF VOTING UNDER THEIR HAT UNTIL ASKED :angry:Typical BW clusterfu<k!

What has it got to do with BW? Typical BW bashing. For you nothing they do is any good and I suspect that this will be true of C&RT.

What has it got to do with BW? Typical BW bashing. For you nothing they do is any good and I suspect that this will be true of C&RT.

Ah, now as a rule I do not bash BW. There are a number of occasions when I have been glad to get back to BW waters, (anyone who has tried to single hand up the Basingstoke will know what I mean)and I have been broadly happy with the service I get for my money. Unfortunately, just recently BW seems to have been infected with some kind of fu<kwit virus and are spending my money on rubbish whilst important things rot. This whole election thing has been dreadfully put together and that seems to be part of the pattern, "from the people who brought you square wooden bollards".

What has it to do with BW? Who organised this? the kennel club? network rail? channel four?