Cowley Lock Grand Union Shut

nbtafelberg

Featured Posts

Ok

Cowley Lock is Shut and there is no passage due to a dredger digging a hole in the canal through to an under canal culvert.

"The water was dissappearing like going down a plug hole" was reported to me.

I'll update when they've solvedit but right now there are a LOT of BW folk standing on Benbow Bridge looking worried.

OK

Latest is there is boat movement right now, 8:53 am HOWEVER I did hear them say that they were planning to Dam it off pump it out and properly fix it so that could cause MAJOR disruption.

Dan you are duty bound to stop for a drink if you come past Tafelberg

Paul

Edited by clevett

Grand Union Canal

Breach on Grand Union Canal at Cowley

Date: 25/04/2006 until further notice

Emergency restrictions are in place on the Grand Union Canal next to Benbow Lane Bridge 189. Passage is currently only possible for narrowboats until 4pm today (Tuesday 25th April 2006).

Wednesday 26 April the canal will be closed between Cowley Lock 89 and Packet Boat Lane Bridge 190 until further notice.

For further information, especially regarding updates on passage to the Cavalcade, please call our London office on 020 79857200.

For full details of stoppages on this waterway, visit http://www.waterscape.com/Grand_Union_Cana...ting/stoppages/

Date: 25/04/2006 until further notice

Emergency restrictions are in place on the Grand Union Canal next to Benbow Lane Bridge 189. Passage is currently only possible for narrowboats.

Wednesday 26 April the canal will be closed between Cowley Lock 89 and Packet Boat Lane Bridge 190 until further notice.

For further information, especially regarding updates on passage to the Cavalcade, please call our London office on 020 79857200.

For full details of stoppages on this waterway, visit http://www.waterscape.com/Grand_Union_Cana...ting/stoppages/

For more waterway information, visit http://www.waterscape.com

This message is sent automatically by Waterscape.com. Please do not reply directly to this message.

To unsubscribe, click or paste the url below into your browser:

http://www.waterscape.com/boating/stoppage...ub=IYTJI&id=589

Thats not good...

According to the BW stopages list there hoping to have it fixed somtime this week tho, so should disrupt any of our plans. (fingers crossed)

Daniel

Hey Daniel, are you taking Emily Ann near us? I would love to see that steam engine in action! Let me know if you do. We are moored in Southall, just before the Norwood Top Lock before you get to the Hanwell flight. If you head down to Brentford you will pass us. Paul, same goes for you. If you ever cruise past on a weekend, stop and say hello. I'll be BBqing all day next Monday, so if you happen to be cruising my way then, I'll sort you out with a burger and a dark and stormy (rum and ginger beer with loads of lime) :blush:

Dan you are duty bound to stop for a drink if you come past Tafelberg

Yeah, well i though you where going to do our castles for us after we've repainted to sides?

Hey Daniel, are you taking Emily Anne near us?

Indeed so.

Assuming all goes well shes going down the GU, onto the thamas, then up to bealepark for the IWA rally, then back up the oxford somwhere vaguly near us again.

- The plan is to get there sooner rather than later, to allow us a few weeks on the thames.

- I dont have the boat calender with me, but i bealve secdual says we should be at cowley towards the back end of july.

Daniel

Yeah, well i though you where going to do our castles for us after we've repainted to sides?

Indeed so.

Assuming all goes well shes going down the GU, onto the thamas, then up to bealepark for the IWA rally, then back up the oxford somwhere vaguly near us again.

- The plan is to get there sooner rather than later, to allow us a few weeks on the thames.

- I dont have the boat calender with me, but i bealve secdual says we should be at cowley towards the back end of july.

Daniel

Great news. It looks like I might be jobless for a bit over the summer, so chances are you'll see me sitting on Pennie with a beer and a fishing rod. Feel free to raid our fridge and use our pump out if you need to! :blush:

Edited by Pat

Great news. It looks like I might be jobless for a bit over the summer, so chances are you'll see me sitting on Pennie with a beer and a fishing rod. Feel free to raid our fridge and use our pump out if you need to! :blush:

Yeah, well im sure we'll manage to keep our fridge stocked up, and we the joyous portapotti for that side of things, but it would be great see you even.

- Certainly i'll keep an eye out for you!

- Are you familur with the sound of a three chime LNER A4 steam whistal? (linky)

Daniel

I dont see why not.

- Get your self an old compressor and hook it upto to your fan belt.

- Doenst sound quite the same as it does on wet steam, but its not too bad.

You'll need a fairly meaty air tank for that beast tho!

Daniel

"Due to a burst colvert"

- Make it sound like as if it wasnt there fault.

- They didnt right "cos we stuck a big asses JCB arm though the f'er" on there sign did they!

- Are you familur with the sound of a three chime LNER A4 steam whistal?

That's a fantastic sound - I'm extremely jealous!

I always fancied one of those horns like you used to find on very large american articulated trucks - the ones that have a really deep note and emit so much sub-bass that you can feel them from a way off, let alone hear them. Maybe one of these days...

Yeah, well im sure we'll manage to keep our fridge stocked up, and we the joyous portapotti for that side of things, but it would be great see you even.

- Certainly i'll keep an eye out for you!

- Are you familur with the sound of a three chime LNER A4 steam whistal? (linky)

Daniel

If I had that on my boat, I'd probably get an ASBO for blowing that mighty whistle day and night. That is probably officially the best sound I've ever heard in my entire life. I'll be listening out for that in July.

Ok

Dragging the thread kicking and screaming. the latest is they have dammed off the canal and are now pumping out.

I have photos and I'll update it at the end of the day

Yes Iv'e been keeping my fingers crossed as to the outcome of the damming, wondering if the boat is still as I left her this morning....floating!! Mine is the grey one to the right of the bridge in Paul's pictures :blush:

40 pictures including how to construct a dam in a canal and pump out....

That quite an erection they have there (the dam i mean :blush:)

- And the amount of junk at the bottom of the canal, lol.

There hole in there waterway, in there waterway, in there waterway,

theres in there waterway, in there waterway, in there waterway a hole

Why dont they cuffing fix it, cuffing fix it, cuffing fix it,

Why dont they cuffing fix it, cuffing fix it, that hole. ;)

Daniel

Well first they have to find it, to find it, to find it,

well first they have to find it, to find it, that hole

THen when they have found it they'll fill it theyll fill it

THen when they have found it they'll fill it the hole

With what shall they fill it, they fill it, they fill it?

With what shall they fill it dear Daniel with what?

I don't jolly know, jolly know, jolly know,

I don't jolly know, but I'll find out la-ter

Well first they have to find it, to find it, to find it,

well first they have to find it, to find it, that hole

THen when they have found it they'll fill it theyll fill it

THen when they have found it they'll fill it the hole

With what shall they fill it, they fill it, they fill it?

With what shall they fill it dear Daniel with what?

I don't jolly know, jolly know, jolly know,

I don't jolly know, but I'll find out la-ter

Well ,there's certainly a hole in the bridgehole now ;) Perhaps the Canal Cavalcade will now be in two parts. Part 1 in little Venice and part two at Cowley top lock for the lads from the north with the Shovel pub to drown their sorrows where Paul and Daniel can entertain with their little ditty :blush:

They had the pumps going all night but did'nt hear a thing.They are bringing in a mini digger today to be lowered in the hole to clear all the debris. They still have'nt found the pipe work coming from either side of the bank and to top it all BW found a blueprint in the archives yesterday of the culvert dating 50 odd years ago that had not been updated on their current data base hence " we didn't know it was there" ;)

Bloody ell! just delivered a boat from Harefield marina to Sawbridgeworth on the Stort, I passed through the that area early on Monday morning! good timing or what!!!!

Ps Paul, saw you lovely boat but it was a bit early to knock on your cabin for a brew. :blush:

Nigel