Traditionally styled windlass

David Schweizer

Featured Posts

I'm sure there is a definite market for someone to produce a good forged windlass that fits most "modern" spindles.

Even at a premium price, I'd consider a few, knowing it is something that I couldn't snap the top off, and could (usually!) retrieve with a magnet, if the worst happens. Neither of course is true of (say) a Dunton Double, and I'm still nervous of pushing too hard on anything alloy.

I'm guessing though that the work involved might make them seriously expensive.

Give us a target price, and you can start to find out if you might have got yourself a side business!

Personally, pretty though they are, I wouldd hesitate to spend a fortune on a cast bronze one these days. I'm certainly not convinced about strength, and with my crew's track record the might be too easily lost for good!

I note that a certain person trading from old boats is now offering a carbon fibre windlass, (but it ain't cheap, I think!).

Although it is many years since I have done any forging, I guess that a reasonably competent Smith could knock up (no pun intended) at least one an hour, so it would depend upon his hourly rate. It then depends upon how much you are prepared to pay for craftmanship. Personally I would be prepared to pay for it, but I know that many people these days do not value Craftsman made products.

Edited by David Schweizer

That is nice. What is it made from?

Mild steel

Even at a premium price, I'd consider a few,

Craftmanship. Personally I would be prepared to pay for it, but I know that many people these days do not value Craftsman made products.

I don't have the facilities to make them cost effectively. However, there are several traditional blacksmith shops around these parts, three of whom I know quite well. I will put the question... :cheers:

David,

If it's windlasses for using that you want, then I don't think the standard old GU ones now fit anything properly, unless you had them adapted to reduce the taper size, (which is possible - my brother used to have a decent GU sized windlass with a clip in insert that would enable it to work on the narrow canal style spindles).

All you need to make a big eye smaller is a bit of thick wall ally right angle section. Its easy enough to file to the correct fit in the existing big eye and also to then to file to fit the taper you want to use it on. If it gets a bit loose in the big eye than a tap with the mooring hammer will restore the fit. With thanks to Tam Murrell for the this tip many years ago.

Edited by barry adams