Canal widths

jelunga

Featured Posts

It is a stupid question, but I cannot find what the width of a standard "narrow" canal or "wide" canal is on waterscape.

But I am assuming narrow locks are between 7' and 8' wide? I know there are variations. I ask this because somebody I know wants to buy a boat that is 9'3" wide. I reckon that is a bad move because it is too wide for a narrow lock and not wide enough to make it worth enduring sticking to just the wide locked canals.

Any sensible comments please?

It is a stupid question, but I cannot find what the width of a standard "narrow" canal or "wide" canal is on waterscape.

But I am assuming narrow locks are between 7' and 8' wide? I know there are variations. I ask this because somebody I know wants to buy a boat that is 9'3" wide. I reckon that is a bad move because it is too wide for a narrow lock and not wide enough to make it worth enduring sticking to just the wide locked canals.

It will be fine where Lily Maud comes from, The Middle Level or the Ouse but none of BW narrow canals. Tell him to by ether Narrow to go every where or wide for more living space, what he is looking at is the worst of both cases.

If you mean the width of the actual channel, that is going to vary wildly. It is generally the lock widths that will be the limiting factor, and for narrow canals around the 7ft mark is the limit. So as you say 9'3" will be limited to wide canals. Also what type of boat is it, as the air draft and cabin profile may also be a factor.

Too wide is too wide....but

It will be fine up here and on other wide waterways down south but you can't move from the north to the south or vice versa without a crane and a lorry.

Know what you are getting at though... if you are stuck to being 'wide' why not make the best of it. If it was me I'd go wider.

If 9'3" is wide enough to satisfy the living requirements of your friend, Jelunga - then fine - - although as others have rightly said, his movements will be restricted to canals with wide locks.

However, if 9'3" is a compromise for him, then tell him not to compromise, and buy a narrow boat, or wider boat (or seagoing!)

It will be fine where Lily Maud comes from, The Middle Level or the Ouse but none of BW narrow canals. Tell him to by ether Narrow to go every where or wide for more living space, what he is looking at is the worst of both cases.

And the only way out of the middle levels is up the Northampton Arm, which is a narrow canal, so a little less than 7ft wide.

It becomes a wide canal at the junction with the GU and is then a little less than 14ft wide.

Alex

And the only way out of the middle levels is up the Northampton Arm, which is a narrow canal, so a little less than 7ft wide.

It becomes a wide canal at the junction with the GU and is then a little less than 14ft wide.

Alex

I didn't say he could get off, I just said he could use it there and the Ouse, Cam etc.

Edit I also said he couldn't use it on the BW narrow canals

Edited by ditchcrawler

I think it is a boat she would choose purely because it is cheap. But you have confirmed by thoughts - too wide fir narrow lox and too narrow for a wide lox.

Thank

the Lox isn't navigable although we do use the water from it!! :cheers:

as everyone has said both the BCN and the GU Leicester Section are narrow and form a north - south divide