StudioCanal takes action against YouTube copyright infringed films

Laurence Hogg

Featured Posts

Speeding is theft? Gosh.

And to be a little serious, Information is not a 'thing' - as you obviously know by enclosing it in parentheses.

I think you'll find in the Theft Act, there is a clause about the "intent to permanently deprive"

OK...point taken...but it's a discussion list not a court of law so apologies for a certain laxity of language....but what I meant was just because lots of people do something, whether it's speeding or copying/uploading copyrighted material doesn't make it right or legal. And I did say copyright infringement is a 'form' of theft....and it does indeed imply that you may be intending (perhaps unintentionally) to permanently deprive whoever owns the copyright of any benefits that they might reasonably expect to derive from that ownership. Also, it's not 'information' itself that's at issue, but the actual 'thing' that carries that information....whether it's a film, a book, a record, etc......and which is why, in the digital age, I also said it was a minefield!

© Québec 2011

Laurence, I actually bought a legit copy of "Painted boats" after I saw it on "You Tube" because I wanted a copy I could watch on my tele without interruptions.

Same with "The Bargee".

Had I not seen them on YT I would not been aware of their availibility, So I have not diddled anyone out of any money.

Not everybody is as scurrilous as you seem to infer, to me anyway.

Laurence, I actually bought a legit copy of "Painted boats" after I saw it on "You Tube" because I wanted a copy I could watch on my tele without interruptions.

Same with "The Bargee".

Had I not seen them on YT I would not been aware of their availibility, So I have not diddled anyone out of any money.

Not everybody is as scurrilous as you seem to infer, to me anyway.

Ray I am not saying everyone is. And good for you for buying the originals.

I use YouTube to advertise clips of the LHP films, nothing wrong with that, if Optimum Releasing had done the same fine, but this was the full film uploaded illegaly available to download for free! Optimum releasing have lost an awful lot of sales due to this happening with both these canal films and many others they have rights to which YT has also removed. They are a big company associated with Studiocanal, however if this was a small concern having its work pirated then the damage is much much greater.

When I release the average "waterway" film expected sales will only be 500-1000 units in many cases, not a lot of sales to recoup the investment thats gone into it. Its come to the point now where I really have to think hard whether releasing more archive will be worthwhile, there is an awful lot of stuff left unseen but it will take a massive amount of work to get it seen in a decent viewable manner.

Things like the BBC programs,could be made cheaply available at least in this country as they have already had there production costs payed back over and over again in the case of the more popular series,but the prices for such as Dr who [old series] remains stubbornly high.Admittedly some have been updated somewhat with the addition of better special effects or cut scenes being added back so they are again worth a higher price tag.

I guess i am saying that if they have done extra work on a program then it is worthy of a higher price tag.Others should be sold at a lower price and some long time out of date stuff should be available for download.

Some of what i have bought i would not have done had i seen or listened to them first and some of that which you see on the net i would buy afterwards.Another consideration is that a download will never increase in value like a rare record or CD would, most things are shades of grey rather than black and white as far as my view on downloads.