Water pump

lewisericeric

Featured Posts

Turn the tap back on, disconnect and seal the output from the pump, turn the pump on. If it still burps and there's no weeping at the output then you have a problem with the pump, if it remains silent then you have a leak in the system.

Good advice.

I notice that these pumps do not require an accumulator, but this will inevitably mean a predisposition to cutting in occasionally. Even with no leak, changes of temperature etc will cause water to contract thus causing the pump to cut in momentarily from time to time. Once the leak (if any) is identified, I think the system would benefit from an accumulator regardless of the fact that it is not required, if the pump cutting in in the middle of the night is going to disturb you.

If you turned off the supply and it ended up running continually you have lost pressure downstream of the pump; it's leaking somewhere.

It's not the pump venting back as with the supply turned off there's nowhere for the back vented water to go; if there weren't a leak the pressure in your pipes would remain static, but it didn't it dropped; less volume in the system... and when the downstream pressure dropped enough the pump kicked in and had nothing to replace the missing volume with hence it didn't stop running.

There's a leak in your pipework. Have you checked your tap connections? Have you sat and watched the taps with a plug that drain outside? You need to check you've not got a drippy tap and then check ALL your pipework; not just the visible bits. Then get access to the bilge underneath the cabin and clean it out.

update gays :-

We DID have a leak! The connection going off to the kitchen taps, I noticed a tiny drop of water on them, tightened it up and the pump's stopped coming on! Nothing was really wet around it though - just a tiny bit of wetness on the connection which made me tighten it on the off chance and it worked! Who'd have thought. Well, I'm not gonna be Britains Plumber of the Year 2011 am I?!!

(Wonder if that award actually exists!) :cheers:

EDIT - meant to say "guys" not "gays"!!!

update gays :-

We DID have a leak! The connection going off to the kitchen taps, I noticed a tiny drop of water on them, tightened it up and the pump's stopped coming on! Nothing was really wet around it though - just a tiny bit of wetness on the connection which made me tighten it on the off chance and it worked! Who'd have thought. Well, I'm not gonna be Britains Plumber of the Year 2011 am I?!!

(Wonder if that award actually exists!) :cheers:

EDIT - meant to say "guys" not "gays"!!!

That's ok, lots of old poofs on the forum! B)

I once had a leak on the water feed at the back of my Vacuflush toilet bowl, so check that too. They may have improved the design since I bought mine.

If you don't already do it then get into the habit of switching off your water pump and vacuum toilet when you leave the boat.