River/canal licence query

leeco

Featured Posts

Are you sure you mean the BW Licence? As these are for a maximum of 1 year, I am puzzled by your reference to "still one year left". That would mean the seller has only just renewed its licence. But if you mean the BSS certificate, that is for 4 years and could easily have "one year left". Both are compulsory and both relate the the vessel, not the owner.

Brian

The boat I bought has a years licence left on it, as the new owner do I have to buy a new licence in my name or does the licence cover the boat regardless of who owns it?

Thanks

Are you sure you mean the BW Licence? As these are for a maximum of 1 year, I am puzzled by your reference to "still one year left". That would mean the seller has only just renewed its licence. But if you mean the BSS certificate, that is for 4 years and could easily have "one year left". Both are compulsory and both relate to the vessel, not the owner.

Brian

Are you sure you mean the BW Licence? As these are for a maximum of 1 year, I am puzzled by your reference to "still one year left". That would mean the seller has only just renewed its licence. But if you mean the BSS certificate, that is for 4 years and could easily have "one year left". Both are compulsory and both relate the the vessel, not the owner.

Brian

Hi, yes the BW licence has just short of a year so the seller must have renewed it.

Be aware that if the previous owner is paying by installments, and then stops paying the boat will be unlicensed. Some sellers cheerfully hand over the license, but forget to mention that they plan to stop paying for it.

Be aware that if the previous owner is paying by installments, and then stops paying the boat will be unlicensed.

That's not true.

I bought Le Shack, with a full licence and BW got in touch, a few months later, asking me if I knew where the previous owner lived because they'd stopped paying the instalments.

They were liable for the outstanding payments but the licence was still valid.

That's not true.

Well. I'm just reporting on personal experience with a boat that had a license on installments and was sold without the new owner (or the broker) knowing about it. BW told the new owner that the boat was no longer licensed and they had to return the license 'discs' immeidiately and apply for a new license. This was earlier this year.

Well. I'm just reporting on personal experience with a boat that had a license on installments and was sold without the new owner (or the broker) knowing about it. BW told the new owner that the boat was no longer licensed and they had to return the license 'discs' immeidiately and apply for a new license. This was earlier this year.

You mean second hand experience, of course. ;)

I guess things have changed since my personal experience.