Mobile Internet

Doorman

Featured Posts

Hi,

We recently cancelled our Orange mobile internet contract and opted for a '3' Pay As You Go package as an alternative. Initially, we were very disappointed with the signal quality, that is, until we swapped the 3 dongle that came with the package, for our old Orange dongle (after first unlocking it).

Wow, what a difference that made! Our internet connection is superb and surpasses that of the Wi-Fi provision at our Marina.

Has anyone else discovered this?

Mike

We changed from the standard Three dongle to the fast one. Big increase in speed & stability. Still goes of in very bad weather but still loads better. When used in a city we can get 8-10mb.

Hi guys,

Do you mind if I ask what kind of dongle you are using?

I have the 3 MiFi one from about 2 years ago. Are there faster ones out there?

Many thanks

Smudge

Hi,

We recently cancelled our Orange mobile internet contract and opted for a '3' Pay As You Go package as an alternative. Initially, we were very disappointed with the signal quality, that is, until we swapped the 3 dongle that came with the package, for our old Orange dongle (after first unlocking it).

Wow, what a difference that made! Our internet connection is superb and surpasses that of the Wi-Fi provision at our Marina.

Has anyone else discovered this?

Mike

Yes I've got quite a few dongles now (ooerr) - I have two Vodafone ones that are both HSPA+ but one is terrible for dropping the signal and the other is brilliant. I got them within about a month of each other, so it's not as if one is just old. Infact the dongle we have that is best at holding a signal (although not the fastest) is one of the old 'bar of soap' style ones (looks a bit like the new 3 mifi in shape).

I have the slower 3 mifi, but it's not the best at holding a signal, that could be to do with 3 not being that great at our mooring - where we're moored up, Vodafone has the strongest signal. I take the mifi with me when I'm out and about and it's great, used it on the train with the tablet it works just fine, even when it's still in my bag.

Still goes of in very bad weather

I find windy weather is the biggest pain - I dread windy weather when I've got stuff to upload.

Thanks for that. I have just had a looksie on Flea bay and a review site, I'm not up on all the jargon but i think it will be a lot faster than my 2009 model. I feel a bit of shopping coming on.

Cheers

Smudge

I have a 3 dongle and it is as you all confirm 'by far the best' i foolishly got a virgin one on 12 month contract and use it rarely as it is useless..Needless to say I will not be renewing the contract..

HI there, sorry i do not quite follow. Are you using a Virgin sim in a 3 dongle? I know it depends on where you are but my 3 sim is pretty good for coverage. I dropped lucky when they came out and had a 15GB for 15 quid contract in a normal dongle, then bought a PAYG 3 MiFi and switched sim cards. Even 3 said it would not work as they were only offering 5GB at the time but hey it has worked for the last 2 years for me.

If you have a Virgin sim it might be worth trying in a friends dongle, it can depend a lot on where you place the thing. At one time in Tidworth I had 20 foot USB extension lead just to get a signal.

Or if you have a Virgin dongle it might be worth swapping to a 3 sim. try a bit of switching between friends.

have fun

Smudge

Its an E367

or the hi speed MIFI E586

Hi, does the Mi-Fi dongle have the 'F' type socket connector for an external aerial?

We hate having to dangle our dongle from out of the hopper window, a dead give away to any

dodgy characters looking to rifle your boat!

Mike

Dunno we have the E367. We had to take a punt on that having one as its not listed on its specs. That said we find that it does not need our directional antenna to work well that the old dongle needed just to work at all. If it starts falling over the antenna helps slightly.

Hi, does the Mi-Fi dongle have the 'F' type socket connector for an external aerial?

We hate having to dangle our dongle from out of the hopper window, a dead give away to any

dodgy characters looking to rifle your boat!

Mike

We've had a MiFi for a few months, and on our trip last month we used it alongside our previous dongle, which has an antenna on the roof. We found that the MiFi got a much better signal, even without an antenna. We just stuck it in the window with a bit of blu-tak. In some places, the old dongle got no signal at all, but the MiFi was fine.

We've had a MiFi for a few months, and on our trip last month we used it alongside our previous dongle, which has an antenna on the roof. We found that the MiFi got a much better signal, even without an antenna. We just stuck it in the window with a bit of blu-tak. In some places, the old dongle got no signal at all, but the MiFi was fine.

That's what we've been told about the superior Mi-Fi, but as I type this comment, we're housed in a boat shed with all doors closed and I'm still getting five bands of signal strength from the good old dongle.

Amazing!

Only ever had fast and reliable service from my 3 PAYG dongle and SIM. Aside from one night moored at Beale its worked everywhere.

Can't explain why a 3 SIM works better in an unlocked Orange dongle at all.

Edited by MJG

Can't explain why a 3 SIM works better in an unlocked Orange dongle at all.

No, but who's bothered :)

I'm just very pleased that it performs so well, especially as I'm typing this sitting in our boat that's still enclosed within a locked boathouse. I'm completely baffled, but there's nothing unusual about that :huh:

Mike

Been considering the Mi Fi option now for a while, and on a recent visit to the 3 shop, the assistant told me this new one (E586) was iminent and to wait for it, as it was a whole lot faster than the previous model, which I know, a few forum members had gone for.

Looks like it might be worth a go, as my contract with o2 is up in December.

Anybody out there got the new one working yet?

Roger

I have the 3 mi fi and it's pretty ok for signal most of the time but I have an iPad with a sim in it also on 3 which is fabulous. It's only on the rare occasion I am unable to get a signal. I pay £15 pm for 10 gb on my iPad but can pay up to £25 for 7 gb on my mi fi. I watch a lot of tv catch up....any tips on cheaper Internet? :rolleyes: