Whilton to Sawley

Shazbat

Featured Posts

We have finally bitten the bullet and after selling our little cruiser last year, we are about to complete purchase of our first narrow boat from Whilton.

Then .... we have to bring it back to Sawley.

I have downloaded route details but am a bit concerned about how far we'll be able to realistically travel each day and where to moor up along the way.

Also a bit [to put it mildly :) ] worried about tackling staircase locks.

Can anyone advise, please?

Many thanks

Shaz

Sounds as if, like me, you like to be prepared. Know the route, false turns, where to moor etc. I did this on my trip to Notts last year.

I went though Foxton last year with a friend. We went for the experience, and it was well worth it. I assume you've done locks before, and a staircase is just a few put together. I know Foxton has helpful staff, and probably some don't, but I'm sure if you check there is nothing coming the other way before starting, and read any instructions there will be no problems.

There are loads of verbal/written instructions, but I've just done a page of mainly photos to show people how to lock for the first time. Surprised me how many people are new to boating when I first got mine 4 years ago.

http://www.angelfire.com/rnb/malcsworld/boat/lock/locks.htm

Dont worry about your trip, read this forum and you will find all the answers you need.

Staircase locks are not generally a problem, most have instructions and if not, they are simple to operate - just take your time and speak to other boaters - they are generally a friendly bunch only willing to help!

We have finally bitten the bullet and after selling our little cruiser last year, we are about to complete purchase of our first narrow boat from Whilton.

I have downloaded route details but am a bit concerned about how far we'll be able to realistically travel each day and where to moor up along the way.

Many thanks

Shaz

Yes, we've done locks before - but only single ones. I've looked at your page, supermalc - very useful!

With not knowing this stretch of the canal system I'm just not sure how to determine where to stopover. What I mean is, it's OK saying we'd average about 10 miles a day, but if there are a lot of locks in that 10 mile stretch, 10 miles could be too far in one go.

Does anyone know of reasonable stopping points - not too far from civilisation - along the way?

Shaz

Shaz

Go to this link Canalplan, top left 'Plan a journey'.

As a rough guide when traveling you will travel one mile in twenty minutes and a lock will take on average another twenty minutes also.

Try to get a guide. Pearsons or Nicholsons etc see how long you want to travel and find the nearest pub, its quite amazing how a pub always seems to be at a good spot to stop. :)

Edited by bottle

Many thanks

Shaz

Shaz,

Dont worry about Foxton, you are certain to be helped down that flight at this time of the year. Besides you will already have been UP Watford staircase, which again you will find manned by BW staff. Make sure that you have plenty of food on board as the shopping opportunities are few and far between along the Leicester section. Yelvertoft is a short walk (7-8 mins)from bridge No 19. North Kilworth is (say) 10mins from bridge 45. Garage in this village sells all the basics. The GU Leicester section is rural all the way and the only thing stopping you mooring is possible lack of depth at the edges. But you can moor safely any where from Whilton to Kilby Bridge, just south of Leicester.

I would earnestly suggest that you go from Kilby Bridge to (at least) Thurmaston Lock north of the City in a single trip. (It's not too hard a day) After that there are lots of mooring for a casual stay. There is a good pub with moorings at Mountsorrel Lock and overnight moorings above Bishops Meadow lock just out of Loughborough. After that you should just enjoy a beautiful river all the way to Trent Lock. Don't forget to keep away from Thrumpton Weir at the junction of the Trent and the Soar,but there is plenty of room and water. Then you are on the last lap up to Sawley.

Have no fear and enjoy it.

Regards

Tony :)

hi, our first ever boat trip last year, me, g/friend and 13 yr old daughter, within 2 hours from Market Harborough, approached Foxton locks in a 57ft boat but with staff help sailed it and loved it, lookin forward again this year, you'll love it :)

We completed much the same trip last week and enjoyed it all, including Leicester. Mooring above King's Lock south of the city is much safer now the Lock Keeper's cottage has opened as a Tea Room. Other good places to stop are above Barrow Deep Lock and after the sharp left under the bridge on Zouch Cut (keep well to the right when passing the weir just before this!). The moorings above Mountsorrel Lock are now lock landings only (according to the BW signs) which is a bit daft considering their length but you should be able to moor beside the field after the lock. We went down Foxton under our own steam (our first ever staircase) and didn't have any problems.

Enjoy the trip!

I've finished the lock page and added the link to my boating pages.

http://www.angelfire.com/rnb/malcsworld/bo...oating-one.html

And you can read about my trip to Foxton with a friend on his boat last year. This is more or less my first proper canal boating, i.e. lots of locks.

http://www.angelfire.com/rnb/malcsworld/boat/Foxtontrip.html

We may??? depending on weather, others etc. be going to look for the lock key I dropped in next weekend. OK chance of finding it, almost nil, but Thurmston to Kilby Bridge AND BACK in a day, plus pub stop, lock key searching should be fun :)

The moorings above Mountsorrel Lock are now lock landings only (according to the BW signs) which is a bit daft considering their length but you should be able to moor beside the field after the lock.

Enjoy the trip!

Twas ever thus, but boats always moor there overnight. The Field moorings are OK but above the pub is better.

Tony :)

Edited by tony collins

Thanks to everyone for the helpful advice.

I had printed off a route from RiverCanalRescue [i'll look at CanalPlan too thanks, Bottle]. I'll print off all these suggestions and see where everything is.

Hopefully we'll be able to start out on Friday. My husband, being self-employed, is able to take time off for the trip - unfortunately work [and school for the children] mean he'll have to continue after Sunday on his own.

We're going to have the added problem of leapfrogging with 2 cars - shame we can't think of anyone who could take us to Whilton Friday and pick me and the boys up on Sunday afternoon :) !!

We reckon we'll be able to make Foxton by Sunday, then he's on his own. He is far more experienced than I am - the cruiser was his hobby, so he's not too fazed about doing it alone. I'm quite happy to do the locks but not confident enough to drive.

The cruiser was moored at Sawley and he's done the Soar quite frequently but I don't think he's been further than Zouch. Still by the time he gets there it'll be familiar waters from there on in.

Have already done quite a bit of food shopping [thanks for that, Tony] - plenty of tins and dried foods - and teabags and long-life milk.

May well see you around, Nigel, during the summer - we often used to run from Sawley to Shardlow at the weekends.

Thanks again to you all - it's really appreciated!

You could always go via Braunston, Hawkesbury, Fazeley, Fradley. 6 hours longer but 19 locks less......But more to the point, much of the lockage will be narrow locks, often quicker and easier to work especially when single handed.

Compare Via Leicester

Total distance is 68 miles, 7¼ flg and 66 locks. There are at least 1 small aqueduct or underbridge and 3 tunnels.

Made up of 22 miles, 7¾ furlongs of narrow canals; 16 miles, 7½ furlongs of broad canals; 29 miles, 0 furlongs of small rivers; 17 narrow locks; 49 broad locks.

This will take 36 hours, 46 minutes

With Via Braunston

Total distance is 90 miles, ½ flg and 47 locks. There are at least 1 moveable bridge; 8 small aqueducts or underbridges and 2 tunnels.

Made up of 66 miles, 5 furlongs of narrow canals; 22 miles, 6½ furlongs of broad canals; 0 miles, 5 furlongs of small rivers; 28 narrow locks; 19 broad locks.

This will take 42 hours, 54 minutes

Also consider that the Via Leicester route can be affected by flood water on the Sour. The Braunston route is via canals with the exception of the last 1/2 mile from Derwent Mouth Lock to Sawley flood lock

Edited by Hairy-Neil