Shroppie shut

dor

Featured Posts

BW have announced that the Shropshire Union from Audlem to Ellesmere Port plus the Middlewich branch is closed until further notice. This is due to the breach on the Llangollen above Wixhall which is restricting the flow of water.

Hope Hurleston reservoir is big enough to keep me supplied with water!

Hope Hurleston reservoir is big enough to keep me supplied with water!

- yeah, because they push a lot of water down, especially at night.

(the number of time we woke up hard a-ground in the morning after not being able to get into the side in the evening!!)

daniel

I've just posted this at the same time as Martin's - and it's disappeared!

So I'll try again:

Latest on the Shroppie from BW:

Dear David,

As you correctly say there is a stoppage on the canal however the intention is to conserve water by preventing lock usage until levels recover. You are welcome to continue to cruise in between locks as normal. You will find that many of the locks are chained up at present.

The good news is that we began extra pumping today at Audlem to bring extra water from the Midlands to the Shroppie and larger pumps are being installed today. We expect that levels will recover next week and restrictions will be lifted towards the end of the week.

Pumps are also being installed to carry water around the breach at Bettisfield on the Llangollen this weekend and early next week, and levels will begin to rise there too.

We will keep the website updated as things progress.

Yours sincerely,

Roger

I was informed by a BW guy onsite that the reason for the towpath being fenced off was to stop people falling in and injuring themselves. When I pointed out that people could fall in when the canal was in water and possibly drown another guy came up and said there was a weak section of towpath down towards the breech.

I hope that my reponse to the first guy doesn't start someone looking into it and possibly fencing of all canal towpaths :o

Richard

I hope that my reponse to the first guy doesn't start someone looking into it and possibly fencing of all canal towpaths  :o

Richard

Yeah!!

- I heard that in ireland all the lock ladders have gates at the top to stop you falling down the ladder (but all of the rest of the lock edge is total unfenced)

- its a crazy world at the momoent

daniel

:o

That's what pumps do - move water uphill!

To move water downhill, you don't need a pump - that's why we have gravity!

You could of course use some sort of wick and rely on capiliary action - but that won't be quite as quick as a pump.