Undergound Canal Map

Bugsworth Tippler

Featured Posts

Still a work in progress but the latest version is here.

I've made an attempt to 'do' the Birmingham Canal Navigations on the basis of two different, out-of-date and slightly contradictory maps. I'd be grateful if anyone with more knowledge than myself could point out any omissions or errors.

Edit : I've also tried Google Map satellite view but it's amazing how much motorway has been built over the canal at crucial points.

Edited by Bugsworth Tippler

Still a work in progress but the latest version is here.

I've made an attempt to 'do' the Birmingham Canal Navigations on the basis of two different, out-of-date and slightly contradictory maps. I'd be grateful if anyone with more knowledge than myself could point out any omissions or errors.

Edit : I've also tried Google Map satellite view but it's amazing how much motorway has been built over the canal at crucial points.

it's looking well good now. a fine piece of work. I think the colours are working well.

On the BCN map;

. the Farmers Bridge and the B&F needs to move over one junction.

. looks like there are one too many loops on the new main line to me, the one going to Smethwick Jct.

. no Walsall Town arm shown

. show a stub for Hockley Port?

On the BCN map;

. the Farmers Bridge and the B&F needs to move over one junction.

. looks like there are one too many loops on the new main line to me, the one going to Smethwick Jct.

The Farmer's bridge bit is just wrong. Either the Aston or the Garrison flight are missing

No Engine Arm either

Richard

The Farmer's bridge bit is just wrong. Either the Aston or the Garrison flight are missing

True, but strictly speaking Garrison is not part of the BCN rolleyes.gif

Edit to add: The main map does not show it either.

Edited by john6767

True, but strictly speaking Garrison is not part of the BCN Posted Image

Edit to add: The main map does not show it either.

I think I've sorted this - let me know if you think otherwise.

looks like there are one too many loops on the new main line to me, the one going to Smethwick Jct.

ditto

I'll tackle this next. Edit : I think I've put these in the right place!

On the BCN map, it's Pelsall, not Pulsall

Changed.

I'm changing the version on-line as I make suggested changes. Link

Thanks to everyone who is contributing. It will help tremendously to get this 'right'. It's always difficult to spot one's own misteaks.

Are you sure that the overall look and feel of this map is not protected by some sort of copyright? I know that about 5 years ago, a customer of mine with a department store issued a map of the store using the familiar tube map format. Almost immediately he received a threat of legal action from LU (or whoever runs the system). Not sure what they can have protected - but they were pretty sure of their ground and my customer backed off.

The link to the London TubeMap site provided earlier in this thread by WotEver leads me to believe that there will be no problem with copyright.

Edited to add comments that can be found on the TubeMap Blog here.

“The London-Tubemap design is protected by copyright; no part of this map may be reproduced without the express permission of the copyright holder.”

The Harry Beck tubemap design is protected by copyright. Your design is too similar. This copyrighted design includes the colour scheme and then use of black rings with white interiors to denote station intersections."

Comment by copyright officer — July 24, 2011 @ 12:52 pm

The reply from the designer of the 'new' London Underground Map states :

"As you will expect, I have discussed in detail the copyright of the official map with the relevant people at Transport for London.

What is covered by copyright is: the shape of the map, in particular the distinctive ‘bottle shape’ of the Circle Line – they have agreed our map is sufficiently different; the typeface – we have commissioned our own; and the London Transport roundel which we have not used. The way the stations are indicated and the colour-coding of the lines both pre-date the first Harry Beck version of 1931 and therefore are not copyrighted.

Although Beck’s version was innovative in its approach to layout, it was using principles for indicating the lines and stations that were already established and therefore familiar to his target audience."

I think/hope this leaves me free to continue the development.

Ian

The Fens Branch? (off Stourbridge Canal)

I gave a link to a map of the Witham Navigable Drains

I'll be doing this next - when I've sorted out Birmingham!

Could you pop Bordesley junction onto the 'BCN' map? It would make more sense there and allow you to sort out the Ashtead flight and Typhoo Basin

I'll certainly look into this but my knowledge of the BCN is rather limited and the maps I have at my disposal (at home rather than on my boat) are not as useful as they might be.

For example, I've never heard of Typhoo Basin. Is it at a T-junction? (Sorry about that!)

is there an update on this? as the southern canals are still missing, the jucntion for the hertford union at old ford is missing as is the name at the southern end of the M.Wheighton canal

also the old ford junction looks wrong as the T is incorrectly positioned

good work keep it going, I look forward to its completion

kev

the southern waterways are still missing :cheers:

I'll be doing this next - when I've sorted out Birmingham!

I'll certainly look into this but my knowledge of the BCN is rather limited and the maps I have at my disposal (at home rather than on my boat) are not as useful as they might be.

For example, I've never heard of Typhoo Basin. Is it at a T-junction? (Sorry about that!)

basically an arm see CanalPlanAC

Niggle, moan

I'd still like to see Bordesley on the same map as Salford junction and Aston. In reality they form a tight triangle near the centre of Brum. The map suggests it is a long way from Aston to Bordesley

Richard

Typhoo Basin is historically known as Bordesley Basin and is the terminus of the Digbeth Branch, which is part of the BCN.

The junction with the Grand Union is Proof House (or the adjacent stop lock). Bordesley Junction is the junction of the Grand Union with the GU Garrison Locks Branch.

A diagrammatic representation of these canals and junctions might be something like this:

bordesley.jpg

Edited by MartinClark

Thanks Richard and Martin

That's very useful.

Ian

Edit : I've adjusted the main map but it's all becoming very cramped in the Birmingham area. I might have to reassess what is in the exploded view and what is not. One of the features of the Beck Underground Diagram was that it did distort distances and, though I would like to avoid too much distortion, this is something we might have to put up with.

Map link

If your putting in unconnected canals then why is the Exeter Ship Canal not on it?

Apart from that I love it. The "Tube" design really does make it easier to see how one gets from A to B than the conventional to scale maps.

• 2 weeks later...
... is missing as is the name at the southern end of the M.Wheighton canal

I can't find a name for this junction - any suggestions?

the southern waterways are still missing

True. I'm trying to find out just how much of the Wey and Arun Canal, etc. are in water.

Bridgwater and Taunton Canal does not connect to Parrett at Bridgewater

I have changed this.

With regards to waterways not connected to the main waterway system, I'm wondering if it is helpful to include these.

Work is still on-going.

Canal map link

True. I'm trying to find out just how much of the Wey and Arun Canal, etc. are in water.

all you had to do was ask!! lol

WEY & ARUN Junction canal:

1 mile at birtley green (just south of bramley)

1 mile from fast bridge alfold to tickners heath bridge (causeway blockage at compasses bridge)

3 miles from devil's hole lock to drungewick lock (our operational section)

1/2 mile from rowner lock to newbridge

ARUN Navigation:

1/2 mile Lordings to harsfold bridge

1/2 mile harsfold to lee farm lock (restored but kept drained at present new bridge at harsfold being designed at the moment)

RIVER ARUN:

Pallingham to Pulborough navigable by small craft only

Pulborough to littlehampton via Houghton, Arundel & Ford navigable

Portsmouth and arundel canal: Ford to Hunston. derelict not much hope of restoration

CHICHESTER SHIP canal: chichester basin to donnington road, plus cashers lock to salterns lock Birdham navigable

donnington to birdham navigable but culverted at each end by road crossings

PORTSEA canal 100yards including milton lock used for boatyard moorings, lock has no gates

I can't find a name for this junction - any suggestions?

no junction name as far as i can see just a reference to it the canal is described as starting at Weighton Lock.

Basingstoke canal only goes to Greywell Tunnel, via Woking, Frimley and Ash Vale

Edited by hamsterfan