Does anyone use CB Radio?

Morat

Featured Posts

I don't think any quantity of 27 MHz sets will come in to use because of their sheer bulk ( apart from the one mentioned earlier)

So its going to be of no value trying to implement an unpopular type of set as even fewer people are going to get a bulky set than a convenient-sized item ( and even fewer buy the more expensive smaller 27 MHz set).

With so few users, there is little point in buying a set hoping you may encounter one of them one day, so a few people will buy for mainly their own purposes ( boat to lock) and if anyone ever comes on the channel ( Channel 8 code 0) that's a bonus.

The reason for little radio being used on the waterways I am sure is because it is a VERY big "emotional hurdle" for a non-follower of radios to start using a radio - As I am sure you will have noticed, they are very self-conscious, non-confident and make any excuse not to use one. Wrestling with "a brick" is a definite no-no.... Prospective users will be very "non-technical" and even the option to change power level will result in some getting it wrong some of the time, using low power for a situation needing high power, it won't work "first time", so they won't bother again, further decreasing the number of users. An on-off switch and channel/code switch will be the limit of these people's wish to understand the things, and that is assuming the "cosmetics" / weight / bulk / convenience have been accepted... Radio hams / enthusiasts are a completely different group of people and the two really don't mix...

Nick

I don't have any ambitions to impose radios on anyone - I was really wondering if people use anything at the moment. I'm not a live-aboard so the set I just bought will spend most of it's time in the Jeep. I will take it next time we're out on the cut, but I'll probably just get told to put it away :)

As for size - the three handhelds I can see on the market right now are on a par with most business radios apart from the antenna which is longer. 446 is definitely smaller, but then it doesn't really have much of a range. I've just received a mag-mount Mobile Antenna which is 89cm long and claims a five mile range for vehicle use. We'll have to see :) Would the roof of a canal boat be a decent ground plane or is it too curved?

Edited by Morat

Interestingly there's a move to "harmonise" all EU wide CB radios to 4W AM, 4W FM and 12W SSB which should give CB a bit of a boost... it was due in on the first of this month, but ofcom are dragging their heels :(

Interestingly there's a move to "harmonise" all EU wide CB radios to 4W AM, 4W FM and 12W SSB which should give CB a bit of a boost... it was due in on the first of this month, but ofcom are dragging their heels :(

Does this include the 446 sets do you know ?

Nick

snip

Normal "car" 12 volt CB mobile rigs can be useful if travelling "in convoy" with other boats regularly - I certainly see people who do using them.

I know of one local cruising club which has a number of members using these (27/81), particularly for their 'Commodores' cruise when many are out at the same time/same route.

Better to make use of your old rig rather than have it sat in a box in the garage.

I know of one local cruising club which has a number of members using these (27/81), particularly for their 'Commodores' cruise when many are out at the same time/same route.

Better to make use of your old rig rather than have it sat in a box in the garage.

Ah!

But we were turned down for membership of our local cruising club recently, so can't see us chatting with too many Commodores for a while now!