shell building

P R

Featured Posts

Does anyone have any experience of building a shell with the plans from Acorn Engineering or Selway Fisher? How did you get on? were the plans of use? Also does anyone have any photos of the finished boats?

Edited by P R

Yes I have :o Acorn plans in the nineties very comprehensive at the time will sureley have been updated for tighter regs nowadays I have no experience of the other plans you mention.

Thanks, do you know of any photos? I have recently read your thread about your build with no plans, doing it from memory, most impressed!

Thanks, do you know of any photos? I have recently read your thread about your build with no plans, doing it from memory, most impressed!

I bought the plans in the 1990,s and living on a farm at the time had plenty of space and an unemployed welder/fabricator at hand. We built the shell outside my workshop on the farm, me supervising staff in my joinery workshop and nipping outside to operate the forklift and be general dogsbody as required by the welder! It worked very well and we progressed with the shell in no time. Sadly the welder died suddenly and the project halted.

When I decided some 18years or so later to have a go again I couldnt find the plans but being a little older and more skilled generally did it from memory.

What angle are you coming from and what experience do you have

Peter Hopley of Acorn is approachable or was!!

Stuart

Edited by soldthehouse

Just reserch stage at the mo, have been looking into buying a shell to fit out, have spent last ten years in building trade, mainly plumbing and electrics, but was motor trade before that. but grew up around steam loco's and did steel fabrication when first left school so thought it worth looking into building my own boat from scratch, the boat bug bit a few years ago but to be honest, the prices for new boats and ok quality second hand ones is prohibative, especialy when i have a lot of the skills to build my own.

Hi

Our boat was built to acorn eng drawings. Very goood engineering drawings with cutting lists for length and type of stern required.

There is some photos in my gallery I think.

Hope this helps

Dave and Louise

Search changing pace in the gallery (members) to see photos of build

Edited by davehull

Hi

Our boat was built to acorn eng drawings. Very goood engineering drawings with cutting lists for length and type of stern required.

There is some photos in my gallery I think.

Hope this helps

Dave and Louise

Search changing pace in the gallery (members) to see photos of build

Thanks Dave and Louise, very helpfull