Poorly Swan

tillergirl

Featured Posts

Had to ring the RSPCA today. Today we found one of the cygnets from the brood on the Stainforth & Keadby had two injured wings. \one looked broken the other look pretty mangled. Sat on the bank on its own parents not taking any notice of it. Don't know if its one of the local mink that's had a go, fishing line, pike or something else. Anyhow they going to send someone out to look/catch it if its treatment and keep me informed. Such a shame, mum and dad have managed to get then all through summer and this happens.

Had to ring the RSPCA today. Today we found one of the cygnets from the brood on the Stainforth & Keadby had two injured wings. \one looked broken the other look pretty mangled. Sat on the bank on its own parents not taking any notice of it. Don't know if its one of the local mink that's had a go, fishing line, pike or something else. Anyhow they going to send someone out to look/catch it if its treatment and keep me informed. Such a shame, mum and dad have managed to get then all through summer and this happens.

I watched the Swans in Brentford chase their young from the 'nest' the other day, it looked really brutal and caused quite a few onlookers to try and stop it. I spoke to a bloke who knows about these things and he said it's not uncommon for cygnets to get hurt buy their parents if the don't get the hint and leave when told to. I spoke to the onlookers and told them to leave it and eventually they did but they were very obviously putting human emotion into the mix!

I hope your cygnet is OK

Rob

Nasty, brutish and short.

Prime directive applies.

Sorry don't understandunsure.gif

Thanks wanted but we think since the other 5 are still with parents and quite happy we don't think it was them. We hope it will be OK too. Be such a shame for them to get all of them this far to lose one now - nasty as they can be they are still beautiful to watch.

That's nature, red in tooth and claw.

In the same marina as Rob I saw one of the boat residents (Salva) try to break up a rather violent mating between two swans.

I'm thinking "Dude, that's how these animals procreate. How would you like it if someone tried to break it up when you're rumping your girlfriend?"

I guess anthropomorphism works in a variety of ways - some people not only attribute human emotions to animals, but also expect them to adopt human standards of behaviour. :wacko:

Edited by blackrose

I'm not sure that I made the assumption that it was parents that inflicted the injuries. Whatever caused them all I know is that the animal was clearly suffering and it needed attending to whether by nursing or euthanasia. I hate to see any living creature suffer, human or animal - though I draw the line at bluebottles..............

Its raining today so we maybe won't get the chance to go and check if it still there but maybe later in the week ...........

Have you never heard the pitiful sound made by a badger eating a live hedgehog? Seen a mouses frantic struggles in the mouth of a snake? A duckling taken by a pike? This happens all the time all around us and you really cannot afford to be so effected by it. An injured, suffering and probably dying cygnet is good news for those creatures that feed on such things. Nature is just like that and you have no moral right to interfere. Look the other way. Nature is not a theme park and it is clear that you are not a nature lover, nature is not very lovable with the picture postcard veneer stripped away.

Its raining today so we maybe won't get the chance to go and check if it still there but maybe later in the week ...........

You mean the RSPCA still havent been to try and capture it?

I went into Sawley lock once and there was 3 people waving at me, when I got into the lock I realised that they were trying to tell me that there was a swan stuck in the gates. It did look poorly its wings were all wet and covered in that green stuff with its head bowed down but was clearly still alive, I wandered if it was in this condition through ignorant boaters going through the lock and it was raising up and down with the water. I got some bread to try and entice it out but it wasnt having any of it. I tried to phone BW on the emergency phone but to no avail :angry: I had no choice but to ring the police, they then contacted the RSPCA on my behalf, and within 5 mins the RSPCA were on the phone to me sending someone out. I couldnt wait to see the outcome as light was fading and I needed to get back to my moorings, ( I had to reverse my boat and go down the lock on the otherside) but the RSPCA inspector that responded actually phoned me to say he was at Sawley Marina and didnt know where the lock was to get his van closer. I said its just down the towpath but ask someone there and they will point you in the right direction.

I couldnt fault the fast response of the RSPCA, but never did find out what the outcome was. All I know is that I did my bit to try and help.

The Police Officer rang me back too to see if they had turned up, which was nice, and we got chatting about boats etc lol, shame he never gave me his number as he sounded quite nice :lol::lol:

Maybe this should be in another thread as :smiley_offtopic: but what if my boat was sinking/in trouble in the lock, surely thats what the BW RED EMERGENCY PHONE is for?

Have you never heard the pitiful sound made by a badger eating a live hedgehog? Seen a mouses frantic struggles in the mouth of a snake? A duckling taken by a pike? This happens all the time all around us and you really cannot afford to be so effected by it. An injured, suffering and probably dying cygnet is good news for those creatures that feed on such things. Nature is just like that and you have no moral right to interfere. Look the other way. Nature is not a theme park and it is clear that you are not a nature lover, nature is not very lovable with the picture postcard veneer stripped away.

Yes I have seen a moorhen chick taken by a pike, mother squawking very loudly. As for the rest, yes I'm aware that nature is not a theme park I was born and bred in the countryside. My brother had a lurcher and went hare coursing and I've watched farm animals being slaughtered. Ever watched a pig being hauled up onto an A frame to have its throat slit? The noise is horrendous and stays with you all your life.

I did what I thought was right at the time and would do so again.

• Greenie 1