45ft Cruiser by Gorton Brothers??

Richard10002

Featured Posts

Considering a long drive to look at a 2001 45ft cruiser built by Gorton Brothers.

The only reference I can find to "Gorton Brothers" is a mechanics in Wigan.

Anyone heard of them? Good., bad, or in between?

Many thanks

Richard

A google about picks up this guy -

Gary Gorton Boatbuilders

http://www.mylocalservices.co.uk/Shropshire/Boat_Builders_and_Repairs/1048249/Gary_Gorton_Boatbuilders.html

But no info. beyond that, that I can find.

Gary Gorton is certainly a known and respected builder.

Jim Shead's boat list shows lots of boats built by "Gorton Boatbuilders", but I can find no easy specific reference to "Gorton Brothers".

Some boats are built by "Gorton Wilson", which I presume, but don't know, to be a colabortation between Jonathan Wilson and Gary Gorton. In view of how well the former's shells are regarded, I'd not have too many concerns about the latter, (unless someone knows otherwise!).

I thought 'Gary gorton' was no longer in this world???

Quite possibly - I wasn't intending to imply they were an outfit still trading.

Mind you, if he died before the 2001 date OP quotes, it would rule him out as the builder!

Sad. Gary Gorton is dead. My dad says he passed away about 2 years after they had their boat. Theirs was completed in 1999 and dad stayed on the site for about 6 months to start their fit out. It was the 3 rd to last Gary Gorton boat made. The trade name Gorton something makes good boats which have some have the original Gary style as the lads all worked together for some time prior to the exchange if business.

I love my dads boat. It's a beaut. My boat is pretty cute too :)

Edited by Cosy Toes

Sad. Gary Gorton is dead. My dad says he passed away about 2 years after they had their boat. Theirs was completed in 1999 and dad stayed on the site for about 6 months to start their fit out. It was the 3 rd to last Gary Gorton boat made. The trade name Gorton something makes good boats which have some have the original Gary style as the lads all worked together for some time prior to the exchange if business.

I love my dads boat. It's a beaut. My boat is pretty cute too :)

Drove to Barton Turns Marina to have a look at it this afternoon, and put a deposit on it at the asking price of £18k, subject to a survey and documentation. The broker says that the owner tells him it is a Gary Gorton boat, and that the RCD paperwork will be available. However, the plate on the boat says it was "manufactured by" Blackwater Meadow. Presumably the hull could be Gary Gorton, and the fit out Blackwater, or Gary Gorton had nothing to do with it.

Anyway, it's a really tidy boat and, even if it had been a Hallmark, we would have bought it at the price offered. Didn't even bother negotiating - every boat I have been thinking of even considering over the past couple of months has sold within a few weeks, such that one that shouted "BUY ME", needed to be bought on the spot.

From the info above, if built by Gary Gorton in 2001, it was either his last boat, or one of the first of the new owners/management?

It will be interesting to see the paperwork.

Thanks for the responses so far. Whatever else, the first few convinced me it was worth going for a look!

Cheers

Richard

Just had a look on Jim Sheads site and a search reveals that the boat was Built by Blackwater Meadow, with no mention of Gary Gorton. The broker actually said that he was told by the owner that it was built by Gary Gorton, so that is what he tells people.

Any connection between Blackwater Meadow Boatbuilders and Gary Gorton?

The Plot Thickens

Richard

Just had a look on Jim Sheads site and a search reveals that the boat was Built by Blackwater Meadow, with no mention of Gary Gorton. The broker actually said that he was told by the owner that it was built by Gary Gorton, so that is what he tells people.

Any connection between Blackwater Meadow Boatbuilders and Gary Gorton?

The Plot Thickens

Richard

Looking at their web site I don't think Blackwater build shells but rather fit boats. I suppose it's poss. they could have fitted out one of his hulls.

Is there any ID on the hull anywhere at all - ours is stamped/badged 'Steelwork by Colecraft', any thing like this in the boat in question.

• 2 weeks later...

Surveyor said it's definitely a Gary Gorton Hull. It has little hearts cut out at the top of the rudder, and in the hull at the bow as drains. He also says the quality of the construction is also indicative.

The RCD paperwork also confirms it, with a Blackwater Meadow fit out.

Looks like it was a good deal, and it's now all ours!,

Thanks for all the info

Richard

• 2 years later...

Just found this thread when looking for Gary Gorton boats. Just to let all know Gary is very much alive and well, his son is my best friend and i saw him not so long ago. He is no longer building boats and hasn't for some time.

Thanks