Split pin

Featured Posts

Whilst our boat is out for "Blacking " we checked the split pin on the prop and wish to renew it, anyone know anywhere in / near manchester we can get one ? went to a few places today but theyre all to small in length and width, tried to phone crowthers in oldham but got no answer, are they still trading does anyone know?

Trish

Whilst our boat is out for "Blacking " we checked the split pin on the prop and wish to renew it, anyone know anywhere in / near manchester we can get one ? went to a few places today but theyre all to small in length and width, tried to phone crowthers in oldham but got no answer, are they still trading does anyone know?

Trish

I'm pretty sure that Crowthers are still trading, they are primarily an engineering company and I would imagine they work Monday to Friday.

The split pin you need is not any old split pin, it has to be made of the correct metal.

You are also at the wrong end of a Bank Holiday for sourcing one.

Is the original pin in bad condition ?

It certainly shouldn't be corroded and therefore begs why you would want to replace it?

Regards

A

Trish

If you're stuck I keep a few 5mm stainless pins.

Dutton, near Preston Brook.

Tim

Thanks for replying Ark Right - We are aware it has to be the correct metal ,sorry cant help the timing :) sods law and all that ,the main reason we want to replace is that the one thats in now has a bit of play re the width of it but its in excellent condition

Cheers tim , i remember you repaired our boat a few years ago , cracking job mr Unity said :cheers:

Thanks for replying Ark Right - We are aware it has to be the correct metal ,sorry cant help the timing :) sods law and all that ,the main reason we want to replace is that the one thats in now has a bit of play re the width of it but its in excellent condition

Cheers tim , i remember you repaired our boat a few years ago , cracking job mr Unity said :cheers:

I'm sure Tim will agree with my view that you have no need to replace it. They are not a wear item.

Cheers

A

Providing that you could reach it comfortably through the weed box,shove a nail in it,bend the end so it won't fall out,and replace it with correct pin later,it won't rust quickly down there,indeed some prop shafts are mild steel.When fitting correct pin tie a bit of thin string through the eye and then around your wrist in case you drop it.Tap it in and splay ends with pliers.Easy in the water as long as you can reach it. bizzard

I'm sure Tim will agree with my view that you have no need to replace it. They are not a wear item.

Cheers

A

Depends how many times its been reused before.it might be fatiqued and about to break. bizzard.