Never been boating before, thinking of next year.....

Squishy

Featured Posts

I've always fancied a boating holiday. I've got the Hoseasons brochure, and have been thoroughly enjoying browsing.

However when I mentioned it to my mum (fatal) she said it would be boring - just lots of reeds and water rats, and nothing to do. Oh, and was I comfortable with my son (who would be 10 when we went) in a life jacket 100% of the time? :wacko:

Is she right? I really think I'll like the lazy drifitng down the canals, the beautiful scenery depending where we go (any recommendations for first timers appreciated!) But she's put me right off :lol:

Also - hubby won't entertain a canal boat (meany :lol: ) but only a cruiser type boat. Any thoughts on that versus a traditional longer boat?

Any help/cpmments/reassurance/advice most appreciated!

Forget it! :wacko:

There's a lot more than reeds, you probably won't see a water rat

(:lol: a fairly posh and nicely spoken friend of OCM moved to deepest Black Country for a social work job. Day one of her new job she had to call for an interpreter when a woman phoned in complaining she'd got “wairter rots.” )

Herons and kingfishers maybe, but few rots.

Can your son swim? In any case, at 10 he should be tall enough to stand up if he falls in. He only really needs to wear a jacket near locks.

But I'll stand by my initial comment, you'll get the bug - so forget it, unless you can afford to come home and go straight out to buy your own boat (like we had to, within a month of our first canal holiday :lol: )

Hi Squishy

Welcome to the forum.

First a question do Hoseasons hire 'cruisers' (hubbys choice) for use on the canals.

If not I think you will limited to the Norfolk Broads and some rivers.

I have nothing against 'cruisers' never been on one but they do tend to bob about like a cork (stanby for incoming).

If you do go onto the canals there is plenty to see and do,depending on the canal of course, you will see plenty of wildlife, industrial heritage and places to visit.

Edited by bottle

Hoseasons definately hire canal boats. I cant remember all of their bases, but I know they have one near Llangollen between Trevor and Elesmere.

There are many companies about who will hire you a boat, so dont just look at one. Also, in my experience it is worth paying an extra £100 for a better boat.

If your mother is worried it might be boring, perhaps you could try a short break first, then when she concludes that it is not boring go for a week. Again, there are many hirers who will offer either a 5-Day (Monday to Friday), or a 4-Day (Friday to Monday). Anglo-Welsh is one I know of, (www.anglowelsh.co.uk), but I am certain that there are others.

Thank you all for your replies!

I would much prefer a canal boat than a cruiser, but hubby thinks it would be hard to steer a long boat (don't ask me why :lol: )

Any advice on which sort of area would be pretty? Parents (although not actually coming with :lol: ) say the norfolk broads are "boring"

Although they've never actually been...................... :wacko:

I would much prefer a canal boat than a cruiser, but hubby thinks it would be hard to steer a long boat (don't ask me why :lol: )

Any advice on which sort of area would be pretty? Parents (although not actually coming with :lol: ) say the norfolk broads are "boring"

Hello There... a long boat is not hard to steer because it comes will a full set of vikings and some rowers.

My boat is everso easy to steer. If your parents aren't going I wouldn't worry about whether they think it is boring or not. you can always try a shorter holiday, or try and get a cottage/campsite near a canal and enjoy walking up and down the towpath or whatever. If your hubby doesn't like the sound of it, is there a way you can persuade him? Some boats can even be hired for a day!

I am feeling very ramble orientated today... I shall make my way over to the bar.

Edited by Bones

hubby thinks it would be hard to steer a long boat

It takes a bit of getting used to. First hour you'll be all over the place, but you soon get the hang of it. Just take it easy, concentrate on getting the pointy end lined up on bridge holes etc. then give the throttle a bit of a kick to make the blunt end follow through.

But it's all part of the fun, take your time, once you get the hang of pointing the tiller at what you want to miss and turning the power up when your instinct tells you to back off you'll be fine.

Your 10 year old son will probably pick it up quicker than you do though :wacko:

Hi Squishy

Narrowboats react leisurely to the controls, so Hubby will have plenty of time to react :wacko: criusers(plastic type) are much more 'skittish/twitchy' (technical terms).

Bones idea of hiring a day boat is a good idea, they are usually quite small compared to a holiday boat.

If you hire for a holiday the company will give you instruction on handling the boat just let them know you are 'first-timers'.

As said before, beware the boat bugs because once they catch you, it is nigh on impossible to escape.

Hi squishy,

On the subject of steering a cruiser, a lot of Broads cruisers are steered from the front by wheel and the effect is that the boat is constantly fish-tailing along the water.

With a narrowboat, they almost always steered by tiller from the back end and as you can see the whole boat in front of you and where it is going it is much easier to steer.

I hired a few Tupperware Specials many, many years ago and far prefer steering a narrowboat. Mind you,I am a little biased as I now have my own narrowboat after many years of wishing/yearning after them.

My fiancee had her first narrowboat holiday 4 years ago and really liked it, so relaxing. So relaxing in fact that she goes of to bed at 9 at the latest and goes out like a light leaving me to lock up and finish my wine etc.

My advice is to go for the narrowboat and you will end up being hooked.

Best of luck whatever happens and most of all, enjoy.

Colin

Hello There... a long boat is not hard to steer because it comes will a full set of vikings and some rowers.

I'm ashamed to say it took me a while to work out what you meant :wacko:

I'm having a bad day, apparently :lol:

I will work on hubby, because I'm starting to dislike the sound of cruisers more and more :)

Something else I thought of - we're going in September (if at all) are there lots of flies/midges over the water then? Does hot weather make the water pong at all? (Like venice :lol: )

I'm ashamed to say it took me a while to work out what you meant :wacko:

I'm having a bad day, apparently :lol:

I will work on hubby, because I'm starting to dislike the sound of cruisers more and more :)

Something else I thought of - we're going in September (if at all) are there lots of flies/midges over the water then? Does hot weather make the water pong at all? (Like venice :lol: )

I haven't noticed lots of flies/midges, but then I may not be the best person to notice these things! the water doesn't pong in hot weather - but then as I write that I wonder whether I would notice that... I'll get my coat.

For me boating is the complete slow down pace of life. The beauty of seeing the world from the waterways - no cars, not many

houses, and even the towns seems completely different. I love mooring up where it takes my fancy and having a lovely cup of tea, then strolling along to the nearest village for a pint. The skies at night are fabulous, and people are generally friendly. If you like constant entertainment then it might be boring, but personally I just love chilling out, forgetting the worries of life and having a good time - its even better with crew! You may all hate it, but if you give it a go at least you will know - and you might even be able to laugh about it in years to come!

Personally I think narrowboats have a bit more character about them. From my experience narrowboaters are chatty and easy going - I haven't had much to do with gin and tonic boats so I don't know what cruising is like in those areas.

Edited by Bones

The water never really smells, the wildlife is wonderful....even in the rain, you must get out there. Take a good book and a few bottles of wine. Enjoy the slow pace.....if you are not sure have a short break or even hire a day boat and take your BBQ. :wacko:

Paula XXX

The water never really smells, the wildlife is wonderful....even in the rain, you must get out there. Take a good book and a few bottles of wine. Enjoy the slow pace.....if you are not sure have a short break or even hire a day boat and take your BBQ. :wacko:

Paula XXX

ah the rain! Its beautiful.. .standing on the roof in the middle of nowhere while the rain pummels down, and then responding to the warm glow of the windows, getting back in the boat and sitting by the fire listening to the rain. Oooh its fabulous.

I'll just sit in the corner and dream if thats ok with everyone....

Hi

There will be flies and midges but no more than any other stretch of water,it will of course depend on the weather if it is continuously raining there will not be any :lol:

The water will not smell, the only smell on the cut are the normal country smells unless you are in the city and even then the smell will not be the water, probably just the local 'chippy'. :wacko:

Having owned a cruiser and a narrowboat, I think that the narrowboat is much easier to steer and doesn't get blown about nearly as much as the cruiser. That said, both are incredibly good fun !

Relaxed on the water, midges or no midges, is where I'd rather be anytime.

Hi Squishy,

I have ecountered the same sort of problems as you, with a spouse reluctant to take to the waterways. I got round this by going with my mates instead !

As other replies have said, steering a narrowboat is picked up really quickly, and you'd be surprised at the degree of accuracy you can steer it with after a hour or two. Remember that you need to have a little power there to steer properly - idling in nutural reduces the ability to steer. I felt quite comfortable steering a sixty footer after half hour at the helm and I'm sure if you can get your husband on there it wouldn't be long before he came quite possessive of the tiller ! You've just gotta go for a narrowboat as oppose to a cruiser I'd say. If I was a ten year old kid again, I'd have loved my parents to take me boating and although the thought of wonderful scenery may not sound that appealing to a ten year old, I can't imagine anyone not getting bit by the boating bug once they've tried it. Perhaps tell him you need him along to help his Mum with the locks ?

As for going in September, I'd say the later you go in September, the better it would be. Autumn is my favourite season of the year when you get all the colours of the trees leaves in their full glory. Never saw a water rat when I've been out, although we did have a squirrel that decided he wanted to swim along with us.

If I was going to suggest a route, then I'd recommend a fairly simple quest first time where you can turn round and head back halfway through the week. Possibly Llangollen or the Caldon.

People have covered steering etc already, but the big difference is that on a narrow boat, because you steer from the back you can see immediately when the front starts to turn the other way and a quick correction is easily applied.

To figure out how to steer a narrow boat with a tiller, where you push the tiller right to turn left and vice versa, try pushing a pencil along your desk table and see how you need to move the back end to point the front end where you want to go.

Now the real reason for posting was to address the kids boredom issue. On the Norfolk Broads, where most of the cruisers are, you have no locks. So you only get off the boat when you decide to tie up for lunch or the evening etc. On the canals you are always working up and down through locks so there is always plenty of work for the young'uns to do opening and closing the locks for you. I would say that the canals have more things for the kids to do during cruising. Although the Broads are probably better when cruising stops as you can rent a rowing or sailing dinghy to mess about in with the kids. On the Broads, a dinghy is also a great help when the only open moorings are on the other side of the river to the pub, and you need to get across for lunch.

Hope this helps......kids love being on boats no matter what type they are or where they are.

(Snip) On the canals you are always working up and down through locks so there is always plenty of work for the young'uns to do .... the canals have more things for the kids to do during cruising .... kids love being on boats.

Although enthusiasm for locks may diminish as the holiday goes on, and disappears completely if it's wet :wacko:

We have a son (13) and a daughter (9). Son's the quiet, sensitive type, enjoyed the whole thing, peace, quiet and wildlife, or just sitting up front and reading. Daughter's happier with a GameBoy or DVD player :lol: (shame there's not a square-eyed smiley).

Both enjoyed cycling the towpaths, both enjoyed steering a 66-footer and soon became capable.

Of course, for the kids, the beauty of any holiday, ashore or afloat, is there's no school, no work, and they have 24/7 access to and attention from one or both parents.

(Oh, and I've got to start saving, or look for another to do-up, 'cos son wants a narrowboat for his 18th birthday. I told you it could work out expensive :lol: )

Have persuaded hubby to go for a narrowboat than a cruiser- yay!

Well done you :wacko:

any recommendations for where to go for a first timer? Or maybe even where NOT to go?

Give us a clue, where are you, any idea where you're likely to be hiring from?

That's a good thing, as you'll struggle to find a hire cruiser on the canals nowdays anyway. And you can really bounce narrowboats off things without losing your damage deposit.

try the Leicester ring, you get some great classic canal, as well as some really lovely river scenery. There are plenty of good pubs, and quite a bit to do if the kids get a bit bored. (leicester's Space centre being one) and it's in the midlands, so not that far from anywhere in the UK.

there are also several brokers on the way round for when the water bug bites, and you want to scope out your own boat.

Hi Squishy!

You need to decide on the number of locks/type of route you want to do. For example, some canals, like the Llangollen have no locks, where as other routes can involve over 100 in a week! Also, you might want to consider what you want to get out of the holiday, ie, shopping time in town centres, or a relaxing break out in the country.

A recommendation is Kate Boats who are based in Warwick. From here you get a good mix. You have access to the Warwickshire Ring (via Birmingham) or you can skip the industrial bit and go onto the Stratford Canal (very beautiful) down towards the River Avon, or you could do the Oxford Canal beyond Banbury, all of which are easily achieved in a week.

Jon

Hi Squishy.

As you are in Cumbria why don't you make a start with your own local canal the Lancaster. There are at least two hire companies,

Water Babies. Forton, 01524 791984

Arlen Boats. Preston, 01772 769183

I have not seen inside their boats but both seem to be smart and well looked after. No locks you see, unless you fancy the trip down to Glasson

I suspect Jon was thinking of the Lancaster unless he has found another Llangollen.

I've been narrowboating for the last couple of years and would thoroughly recommend a one way trip between between New Mills and Trevor. We did this trip as our first trip on the canals and thoroughly enjoyed it. Theres a good mix of scenery and to finish the trip, the absolute last thing you do, is to cross the Pontcysyllte aqueduct. An absolutely stunning end to the week. Theres plenty of locks and lift bridges to keep the kids occupied.

This trip was with Anglowelsh, who we have been away with subsequently and will do again in September this year, and I would thoroughly recommend them. The boats are kept in good order, they insist upon tuition even if you have been out before, and when we encountered a problem on board with a faulty water pipe connector, they were very prompt and helpful in fixing the problem. On our travels we've dealt with Anglowelsh bases at Trevor, New Mills, Bunbury and Great Haywood and we've had great service at them all.