Village SOS Barge Inn Honey Street?

dollypop

Featured Posts

like so many village pubs it relies on passing trade, on a canal that is really only summertime , but still the business costs come along every month, the only winners are the greedy pubco's that own the pubs!high rents, high beer prices tied leases all spell disaster for the licensee!

I thought it was an interesting programme, that followed by JKR's families life history made for a nice couple of hours viewing.

As for the pub, i've not been back since the refurb but it's a great pub deserving of the attention and publicity, one thing that might work in it's favour could be an extension of the visitors moorings around the pub, let the pub nominate a moorings warden to ensure a faster turnover of boats on the (hopefully 48hr) time restricted moorings, that way they may encourage more boats to stop and visit the pub, moorings around that area are very shallow in the summer it must be very frustrating to see the many, many, boats just cruizing past unable to moor easily.

Still, a nice pub and well worth the visit IMHO

Paul

Thanks - we are looking to get AWAY from the boat for a few days - much as we love it, and thought about taking a trip somewhere this weekend. I imagine it will be pretty busy there after the programme, but Wiltshire is lovely, so we may make it our destination and stop for a nice pint.

Cheers! :cheers:

• 3 weeks later...

We went there last year 3 times. There seemed to be a festival happening in the campsite on all 3 occasions!!

We camped twice, the 2nd time after our week on our club boat, having visited Honey Street on our trip earlier that week. The weekend after our week on Savoy Hill coincided with the Barge Inn's 200th anniversary party. http://www.the-barge-inn.com/bicentennial.php I remember having a piece of that cake!! 'Twas wonderful :cheers:

We must go back soon and check to see if the renovations to the old barn and toilet block have been done. They were waiting until the swallows left last autumn before starting work.

Beer and food was excellent on all 3 occasions we went and loved the vibe of the place.

Mike