Want another laugh?

Moley

Featured Posts

Does anyone know of a supplier for large stud terminals

Have you had a look at the Aquafax catalogue?

http://www.aquafax.co.uk/ - click on "view printed catalogues"

You need to download catalogue no 8 for electrical stuff - all you will ever need. Any chandler should be able to get Aquafax stuff.

Edited by dor

John, please clarify this statement.

For my main wiring runs (lighting etc.) I am taking an unbroken run of cable pairs from my 12v board, sliding pairs of chocblock along to appropriate places, stripping half an inch or thereabouts of insulation without cutting the wire, and sliding in the same length of exposed conductor from my lighting tails such that both screws grip both wires, if you understand me. Any problem with that?

Hi Ade.

I was thinking mainly about the heavier cables, but normal choc blocs do tend to cut into the individual wire strands, the ones with a 'leaf' are better but they don't grip very well. I have had this discussion before but I certainly prefer to take a 1.5mm wire to each light switch from the distribution panel and individual returns from each fitting. More elegant all round, intermediate distribution panels on longer boats have something going for them but when you work it out you don't save much.

It is personal preference really I just have a thing about not joining cables in trunking or whatever.

* When using choc blocks, tinning the striped wire end makes a better job.

Edited by John Orentas

Malc.

I don't like to be rude but there is no excuse for scruffy wiring

As long as it's safe and everything works it's 'Wud-E-Nuff' (good enough) :lol: . I inherited most of the 'mess' so left alone what works, just tidied up any unwanted, unused wires, and re-did all poor connections.

The batteries were originally just on a bit of wood in the bilge, so I had to make a battery box and new leads for BSC of course. There was a good isolator fitted, but the bilge pump, which must be left on, was connected by crock clips. The only problem I had after rewiring properly was I used an inline fuse, which corroded, so have changed for a spade type.

Just to repeat. What would you think if you found the warning switches were wired to the radio speaker output wires ;) It certainly told me I had to check everything thoroughly.

Hi Ade.

I was thinking mainly about the heavier cables, but normal choc blocs do tend to cut into the individual wire strands, the ones with a 'leaf' are better but they don't grip very well. I have had this discussion before but I certainly prefer to take a 1.5mm wire to each light switch from the distribution panel and individual returns from each fitting. More elegant all round, intermediate distribution panels on longer boats have something going for them but when you work it out you don't save much.

It is personal preference really I just have a thing about not joining cables in trunking or whatever.

* When using choc blocks, tinning the striped wire end makes a better job.

well, I'll be connecting all my lights off a single circuit using those snap on tee connector jobbies (Scotch). each light has an integral switch. K.I.S.S.

all the tees will be in positions where they can be accessed by removing a fascia panel.

well, I'll be connecting all my lights off a single circuit using those snap on tee connector jobbies (Scotch). each light has an integral switch. K.I.S.S.

all the tees will be in positions where they can be accessed by removing a fascia panel.

Chris

I do hope you are joking about the (Scotch) connectors. They are OK for temporary use but not permanant, they have very small contact area and become loose very easily.

I didn't have time to expand before, but was thinking the same as Bottle:

You are joking? Right? Like ha ha, very funny? But April 1st isn't 'til a week on Saturday.

I thought Scotchloks were only used by towbar fitters to tap into your car indicators etc. when they're too damned lazy to do the job properly.

I do hope you are joking about the (Scotch) connectors. They are OK for temporary use but not permanant, they have very small contact area and become loose very easily.

And they damage or cut the main conductor.