No Snooring.

bizzard

Featured Posts

Whilst on a weeks holiday on the Norfolk Broads,myself,my dad and an uncle,in 1983,In an old, very old hired traditional wooden sailing cruiser, called ''Vagabond''..no motor,just sails and Quant pole,so peaceful,The cheapest that could be procured. Described in the Hoseasons brochure as suitable for beginners and also the intrepid.

However to cut a long story short. We tied up at the Ferryboat inn's staithe on Hickling broad at 6pm,and went for a pint or two,only to return to Vagabond,many pints of Norwich best bitter the better,later after,afters at 11.15pm to find her completely surrounded with other holiday craft. None plussed and,after an night cap of Dutch gin we all turned in for the night.

Alcohol tends to make folk snore,and we were no exception so folk said, mainly because on a vessel of Vagabonds design, forces one to sleep on ones back,And the unfortunate person who chooses to sleep in the forepeak has to adopt a sort of banana shape for the night.

Anyway during the night a lot of activity, unbeknown to us went on around our boat and on the staithe: .

And on waking next morning,found ourselves moved! right to the end of the staithe on our own and expertly tied up again.The idea was to get us out of earshot is all we could think of,but we'd still love to know the reason.''We don't snore''..

bizzard :blush:

Instead of "expertly tying you up" they might have cast you adrift!

We were once motoring out of Catfield Dyke on Hickling broad as we spotted a dinghy adrift, heading fo the reeds. "Its the same as ours." My wife remarked. Guess what?

I tentatively headed gerntly into the reeds to recover it. I was amazed how quickly it moved in the gentle breeze.

Tony

When camping at The Stables as part of the National Youth Music Camp (we were directing the operetta there) our colleagues in the neighbouring tent complained they didn't sleep all night because of Kev's snoring. I suggested they try sleeping next to it like I had for the last ten years! I'd adopted earplugs but they only helped a bit.

Said neighbours moved their tent the next day!

:lol::tired:

Edited by BlueStringPudding

Whilst on a weeks holiday on the Norfolk Broads,myself,my dad and an uncle,in 1983,In an old, very old hired traditional wooden sailing cruiser, called ''Vagabond''..no motor,just sails and Quant pole,so peaceful,The cheapest that could be procured. Described in the Hoseasons brochure as suitable for beginners and also the intrepid.

However to cut a long story short. We tied up at the Ferryboat inn's staithe on Hickling broad at 6pm,and went for a pint or two,only to return to Vagabond,many pints of Norwich best bitter the better,later after,afters at 11.15pm to find her completely surrounded with other holiday craft. None plussed and,after an night cap of Dutch gin we all turned in for the night.

Alcohol tends to make folk snore,and we were no exception so folk said, mainly because on a vessel of Vagabonds design, forces one to sleep on ones back,And the unfortunate person who chooses to sleep in the forepeak has to adopt a sort of banana shape for the night.

Anyway during the night a lot of activity, unbeknown to us went on around our boat and on the staithe: .

And on waking next morning,found ourselves moved! right to the end of the staithe on our own and expertly tied up again.The idea was to get us out of earshot is all we could think of,but we'd still love to know the reason.''We don't snore''..

bizzard :blush:

That is an interesting theory :lol:, but if your boat was completely surrounded with other holiday craft it would probably have involved disturbing a lot of people to move your boat to the end of the staithe?

I reckon it is more likely that your boat (and possibly others too) were cast adrift in the middle of the night and a kindly insomniac boater had tied her up securely.

There is, of course, another possibility. You were all so drunk that you had forgotten you had moored at the end of the staithe? :cheers:

When camping at The Stables as part of the National Youth Music Camp (we were directing the operetta there) our colleagues in the neighbouring tent complained they didn't sleep all night because of Kev's snoring. I suggested they try sleeping next to it like I had for the last ten years! I'd adopted earplugs but they only helped a bit.

Said neighbours moved their tent the next day!

:lol::tired:

What interesting replies.

My solution is to find a way of keeping the snorer awake,so as to let you get to sleep first but rarely possible.

What interesting replies.

My solution is to find a way of keeping the snorer awake,so as to let you get to sleep first but rarely possible.

This story is perfectly true,as you say the others must have all conspired in a decent friendly manner as a joke more than anything,they had tied Vagabond up properly after the rearrangment.

Getting the offending snorer to keep awake whilst everyone else goes to sleep is pretty impossible,as they keep waking everyone, to accuse them of keeping him-her awake by snoring.Obviously this becomes an vicious circle,everyone. getting more and more fraught,and i believe possibly violent,but in the end no one gets any sleep in this impossible situation, and can result in the holiday ending prematurely.bizzard

This story is perfectly true,as you say the others must have all conspired in a decent friendly manner as a joke more than anything,they had tied Vagabond up properly after the rearrangment.

Getting the offending snorer to keep awake whilst everyone else goes to sleep is pretty impossible,as they keep waking everyone, to accuse them of keeping him-her awake by snoring.Obviously this becomes an vicious circle,everyone. getting more and more fraught,and i believe possibly violent,but in the end no one gets any sleep in this impossible situation, and can result in the holiday ending prematurely.bizzard

This activity of course refers to the occupants of a particular boat. bizzard

I used to sleep in a dormitory with a dozen or so other blokes and snoring could be a major problem as you can imagine since a lot of them were middle aged (and snoring seems to become more of a problem as people age) I used to try to be asleep first to try to avoid the snorers but in the end the only solution was earplugs for me.

It was not uncommon to hear a resounding crash in the night as someone who had had enough of a snorer 'bed-ended' him. They used to pick up the foot of the bed as high as they could and drop it. Guaranteed to stop a snorer if only briefly.

Edited by Bazza2

I used to sleep in a dormitory with a dozen or so other blokes and snoring could be a major problem as you can imagine since a lot of them were middle aged (and snoring seems to become more of a problem as people age) I used to try to be asleep first to try to avoid the snorers but in the end the only solution was earplugs for me.

It was not uncommon to hear a resounding crash in the night as someone who had had enough of a snorer 'bed-ended' him. They used to pick up the foot of the bed as high as they could and drop it. Guaranteed to stop a snorer if only briefly.

I quite believe that,tremendous behavior La Toc.'' The Big Brother series''.

Of course the worse case scenario could be, all this breaking out on board an long haul overnight aeroplane flight,the mind boggles.

Like if someone starts it off, and then the already described all goes off,especially if the planes has quiet engines. Horrendous to think what all the extra vibration could do,if everyone's snoring.All the navigational instruments needles all a'twitter confusing the the pilot. And the result could be,well.If over the ocean.

New Bermuda triangle mystery begins, perhaps elswhere, and called say The new Great Barrier reef triangle. bizzard.

I quite believe that,tremendous behavior La Toc.'' The Big Brother series''.

Crikey I really didn't understand that line. Could you explain it for me please, in words of one syllable?

Crikey I really didn't understand that line. Could you explain it for me please, in words of one syllable?

Sorry.

In the bedroom at night, on the Big brother series on Channel 4,which ended last year. Often a problem over people snoring.

bizzard

Sorry.

In the bedroom at night, on the Big brother series on Channel 4,which ended last year. Often a problem over people snoring.

bizzard

Its ''it''i'm almost certain.The infamous Vagabond depicted on one of Phylis's pics in the ''Hello Norfolk''post.

The wooden sailing hire boat tacking into the wind,on what looks like the river Bure,i'm overjoyed. bizzard

• 2 weeks later...

Bizzard - Vagabond (A85)is certainly still out and about now in private ownership tho' - still racing.

Stempost - There are still a few Lady class active Perfect Lady 9 is a member of the norfolk broads forum and theres still a Lady Day regatta centred on Thurne Lion late in October.

Its ''it''i'm almost certain.The infamous Vagabond depicted on one of Phylis's pics in the ''Hello Norfolk''post.

The wooden sailing hire boat tacking into the wind,on what looks like the river Bure,i'm overjoyed. bizzard

The boat in Phylis's picture is not Vagabond (which now has a white hull, and was moored up next to us at the Swan in Horning before the start of the Three Rivers Race). She's one of the three berths (all named Wood ...) from the Norfolk Heritage Fleet at Hunter's Yard, still no engine (sails like a big dinghy, although not as well as the two berths), and still available for hire. :)

Edited to add:

The pub on Hickling Broad is The Pleasure Boat, not the Ferry Boat. I should know, as I keep my boat there (after a somewhat chequered few years, it's now a very good pub, well worth a visit if you're in the area).

Edited by Teadaemon

The boat in Phylis's picture is not Vagabond (which now has a white hull, and was moored up next to us at the Swan in Horning before the start of the Three Rivers Race). She's one of the three berths (all named Wood ...) from the Norfolk Heritage Fleet at Hunter's Yard, still no engine (sails like a big dinghy, although not as well as the two berths), and still available for hire. :)

Edited to add:

The pub on Hickling Broad is The Pleasure Boat, not the Ferry Boat. I should know, as I keep my boat there (after a somewhat chequered few years, it's now a very good pub, well worth a visit if you're in the area).

Thanks for the information chaps.Really glad old Vagabonds still sailing.It was November 1981 when we hired her,it blew strongly all week.She went like the clappers,overtook all week, the few boats that were about.We hired her from the yard at Martham. Yes,my mistake,i was confusing the pub with the Ferry inn Stokesby.I've mentioned the Norfolk Broads Rond anchors once or twice on here,but never seen a comment about them,they're very good.

Once again chaps,thank you. bizzard

We sailed up to Horning and tied up stern on to the Swan,as a little breather,from the strong winds and rain. bizzard.

Edited to add:

We sailed up to Horning and tied up stern on to the Swan,as a little breather,from the strong winds and rain. Also my cousin and i, spent a week on the Broads in 1976 in my GP14,camping anywhere at night in tents. Too much heat and little wind though. bizzard.

Edited to add: