Paddington Basin to Limehouse

Bodkin

Featured Posts

Aftenoon to all on this very wet Saturday!

We are currently on the River Thames heading into London. We are doing Limehouse to Brenford, but as we are currently heading downstream from Windsor, we will be turning off at Brentford and going up the GU Paddington arm first before re-entering the Thames at Limehouse and going upstream to Brentford.

As we have a night out planned in the city we will (hopefully) be mooring at Paddington Basin before going onto Limehouse.

My question is this - we only have maps up to Paddington Basin and so I would like to know how long it takes to get from the basin to Limehouse. Can we go from Paddington Basin to Limehouse and then up to Brentford in a day?

I realise that entry onto the Thames at Limehouse is dependant on tide times so also need to work out whether we have enough time to get to Limehouse and then go upstream.

If this is not going to be possible, can you moor overnight at Limehouse to be ready to go upstream the next day?

Alternatively can anyone point me in the directin of a map which covers this section?

Many thanks :)

My question is this - we only have maps up to Paddington Basin and so I would like to know how long it takes to get from the basin to Limehouse. Can we go from Paddington Basin to Limehouse and then up to Brentford in a day?

I realise that entry onto the Thames at Limehouse is dependant on tide times so also need to work out whether we have enough time to get to Limehouse and then go upstream.

If this is not going to be possible, can you moor overnight at Limehouse to be ready to go upstream the next day?

Alternatively can anyone point me in the directin of a map which covers this section?

I think it's about 11 or 12 locks hours from Paddington to Limehouse so it may take 5 or 6 hours - can't remember exactly? Anyway, you'll probably have to moor up at Limehouse and there are 24 hour free visitor moorings against the wall next to Limehouse lock (bear left as you come into the basin and go around the marina). You'll need a day there anyway to wait for the tides, talk to the lockkeeper and check everything on your boat before going out onto the Thames.

Edit: If the moorings along the wall are full then either ask someone if you can brest up to them or tuck yourself in at the entrance to the Limehouse Cut by the footbridge at the end of the wall. There's often space there when the visitor moorings are full.

The Limehouse Cut - the 24 hour moorings are along the wall to the right of this picture.

P1000337.jpg

Also, have you printed off a copy of this? It's very useful to have someone reading out which bridge spans you should be taking as you steer.

http://www.waterscape.com/media/documents/56

Edited by blackrose

Hi

We are going from Limehouse-Brentford on Thursday 21st July locking out at 16.00

We have two VHF operators with portable radios who have done the trip before.

If it fits in with your timings you would be welcome to join us.

Paddington - Limehouse is as mentioned about 6 hrs (giving time to remove the plastic bags)

Edited by bridge100

Aftenoon to all on this very wet Saturday!

We are currently on the River Thames heading into London. We are doing Limehouse to Brenford, but as we are currently heading downstream from Windsor, we will be turning off at Brentford and going up the GU Paddington arm first before re-entering the Thames at Limehouse and going upstream to Brentford.

As we have a night out planned in the city we will (hopefully) be mooring at Paddington Basin before going onto Limehouse.

You could download the Regents Canal boaters guide from waterscape.com

http://www.waterscape.com/things-to-do/boating/guides

or plan the journey using canal planner AC at

http://canalplan.tty.org.uk/

which says the distance is just under 9 miles has 12 locks and will take 5 hours 40 minutes

Mick

Edited by zodiak

CanalPlan AC will give slightly varying time estimates depending on your personal settings.

For me it says just over 5 hours, but I tend to find it a bit conservative......

Total distance is 8.90 miles and 12 locks. There are at least 1 small aqueduct or underbridge and 2 tunnels.

This is made up of 8.90 miles of broad canals; 12 broad locks.

This will take 5 hours and 5 minutes.

The canal is deep, mostly without moored boats, and you can get along pretty quick.

Islington Tunnel is "wait until clear" so you can get unlucky there if a boat or boats have already entered from the other end, but otherwise few potential hold ups.

Last yr we took the Limehosue trip , we left Paddington Basin & took the Regents to Limehouse , In places it was full of plastic bags & so clear you could almost pick what colour you wanted around the prop !

We took the straight route to limehouse , & didnt see another boat past Victoria Park - It seems most turn left there & take the other route to Limehouse, We had no problems , folks waving at us as we went past the flats etc , the lock in to limehouse only had one paddle working to fill & that only lifted halfway! , we prob did the trip in 6 hrs , we were told that diesel was available at limehouse by locals (Not true!) advice from the limehouse lockies was useful , but after a phonecall we couldnt make the trip to diesel up in time , so a 10min walk to fetch some white from the nearby texaco garage (only a few pence dearer)

We locked out of limehouse early morning , not too much traffic although an eye opener if you havent cruised it before

Hi

We are going from Limehouse-Brentford on Thursday 21st July locking out at 16.00

We have two VHF operators with portable radios who have done the trip before.

If it fits in with your timings you would be welcome to join us.

Paddington - Limehouse is as mentioned about 6 hrs (giving time to remove the plastic bags)

Thx for the offer but we wanting to stay at paddington basin on the 23rd cos its our wedding anniversary so not doing limehouse-brentford till a few days after that, it is our first trip out at limehouse and we both have vhf and a radio. Would be nice to go through with someone else though if anyone interested, most probably going to be tuesday 26th or somewhere around there.

As the OH (Scooby) has already said, thanks for all the help and guidence with this - usually I'm not happy unless I can see the route in a Pearsons Guide but they haven't covered this stretch. However all the input on this thread has been great and I feel a lot happier about the trip now (I'm the scaredy cat on our boat!!)

As the Mr says, Thurs 21st is a little to early for us to do the Limehouse to Brentford trip - it's more likely to be Monday 25th or Tuesday 26th July - if anyone fancies teaming up on either of those days we'd welcome the company! :)

Thanks once again everyone!