Marple Locks - Peak Forest Canal

Greg & Jax

Featured Posts

Hi all

We have booked a weekend on a 42ft narrowboat starting at 2pm on Friday in Macclesfield and finishing at 9am on Monday back in Macclesfield. We are looking at going down the Macclesfield Canal onto the Peak Forest Canal and down the locks at Marple.

We have never used the locks before so are thinking that this may be a bit ambitious.

Other than travelling all the way down to the bottom lock (ie travelling down all 16 locks), is it possible to turn around at some point in between (if this is a really stupid question I am truly sorry but I just had to ask :lol: )? We have walked the route and there does seem to be a lot of room, in fact at some points you cold easily turn a 42ft boat around but the official winding holes are at the top lock or the bottom lock with nothing in between. Are there "rules and regulations" for example about turning boats around or is it something to do with filling/emptying the locks.

Sorry if any of these questions sound really thick, but if we don't ask we will never know and we all have to start somewhere!!!!

Cheers

G&J

Hi all

We have booked a weekend on a 42ft narrowboat starting at 2pm on Friday in Macclesfield and finishing at 9am on Monday back in Macclesfield. We are looking at going down the Macclesfield Canal onto the Peak Forest Canal and down the locks at Marple.

We have never used the locks before so are thinking that this may be a bit ambitious.

Other than travelling all the way down to the bottom lock (ie travelling down all 16 locks), is it possible to turn around at some point in between (if this is a really stupid question I am truly sorry but I just had to ask :lol: )? We have walked the route and there does seem to be a lot of room, in fact at some points you cold easily turn a 42ft boat around but the official winding holes are at the top lock or the bottom lock with nothing in between. Are there "rules and regulations" for example about turning boats around or is it something to do with filling/emptying the locks.

Sorry if any of these questions sound really thick, but if we don't ask we will never know and we all have to start somewhere!!!!

Cheers

G&J

Hi G & J

You don't say when you are going, there are some stoppages on the Peak Forest at this time, they are due to be cleared this weekend though I happen to know that the re-opening may be delayed.

Assuming you are making the trip a little later, yes you can get the experience of going down a couple of locks and wind the boat below lock 15 (even it the pound has become silted or whatever you can always come back up in reverse) you certainly won't have time to do all all 16 of them. There are no rules to prevent you doing this sort of thing unless there are water use restrictions in force, most unlikely early in the summer.

Two and a half day's is a nice leisurely time to make the trip from Macclesfield to Whaley Bridge and you must visit Bugsworth Basin too, visit the Navigation Pub there.

Hi

Looking at the "Pearsons guide" you could turn at the junction without going down the locks, there are 'official' turn points at: Hawk Green between bridges 2 and 3 you could go past the junction and turn after bridge 21 on the Peak Forest or just after bridge (aqueduct) 22

But from Macclesfield to Whaley Bridge is about 6 hours cruising with no locks so you could get there and back.

You could stay at the canal basin (terminus) Saturday night and as john said you could also visit Bugsworth

Edited by bottle

Other than travelling all the way down to the bottom lock (ie travelling down all 16 locks), is it possible to turn around at some point in between

If it is just to try locks for the first time go down the first 4 locks and wind the other side of the road bridge. Do also try and get to Bugsworth Basin

• 3 weeks later...

Hiya

Sorry not been on the site for a while, been busy decorating the house to sell and am pleased to say we accepted an offer on Friday so its full steam ahead for our new way of life on a narrowboat.

Thanks very much for all the advice its greatly appreciated for us newbies.

We are now looking at buying at 60ft/70ft narrowboat and have approx £60,000 spend so if anyone hears of a decent boat for sale please let me know.

Cheers

Greg & Jax :wacko:

Hiya

Sorry not been on the site for a while, been busy decorating the house to sell and am pleased to say we accepted an offer on Friday so its full steam ahead for our new way of life on a narrowboat.

Thanks very much for all the advice its greatly appreciated for us newbies.

We are now looking at buying at 60ft/70ft narrowboat and have approx £60,000 spend so if anyone hears of a decent boat for sale please let me know.

Cheers

Greg & Jax :)

Greg & Jax

Just reading your posting I noticed that you intend to call your boat 'Bonnie and Clyde' which is great.

I thought I would just add that if you buy a 2nd hand boat and want to rename it - tradition says it nust be out of the water. Old boaters superstition!!

You'll enjoy the Macclesfield/Peak Forest its lovely!

Oh and another thing to bear in mind is that you can't travel the whole canal system with a 70ft boat. I believe the locks on the Leeds /liverpool are only 62ft long. I'm sure that someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Shaz