Progress report

Robborover

Featured Posts

I have arranged to have our new purchase (a 2006 Viking 28NB) transported by road from the Severn to sunny Stone. As a complete novice I didn't fancy learning everything in that journey! Moorings are sorted at Aston, rudder safe has arrived and just done online insurance with craftinsure.com (impressed).

Got a shopping list of stuff to buy (mooring stakes, windlass, life jacket for the little one, various other misc supplies). I may invest in a solar trickle charger and might swap out the sony radio/cd head unit IF the aerial will work with DAB... Have I missed anything obviously crucial??

Rob

Almost opposite to you in A46. You have a good stretch of canal to practice on, out of the marina turn left 1hour 15mins down to the first winding hole, just after bridge 84.

Thanks Alan, great tip, much appreciated. :captain:

I have arranged to have our new purchase (a 2006 Viking 28NB) transported by road from the Severn to sunny Stone. As a complete novice I didn't fancy learning everything in that journey! Moorings are sorted at Aston, rudder safe has arrived and just done online insurance with craftinsure.com (impressed).

Got a shopping list of stuff to buy (mooring stakes, windlass, life jacket for the little one, various other misc supplies). I may invest in a solar trickle charger and might swap out the sony radio/cd head unit IF the aerial will work with DAB... Have I missed anything obviously crucial??

Rob

Is that Viking narrow beam fibreglass cruiser or a viking narrow boat? If the former then Viking Owners Club website is very useful

Rob

At random:

Boat pole, boathook, anchor/chain (if you're thinking of going on rivers), spare hammer/mallett for when you drop it in the canal, BW key, handcuff key, spanner for changing gas bottles (if you're on propane), drinking water container, long sharp knife (for cutting stuff off the propellor, essential if you have outboard), and there are some things which in my opinion you can't have too many of - plastic carrier bags, ropes, torches (and those cheap LED lights). As you are GRP fenders also falls into that category. If you can find one, a wire coat hanger will come in handy for all sorts of things. Whatever you take you will inevitably come back with a long list of things to take next time so you also need a notepad and a pencil...

• 2 weeks later...

At random:

Boat pole, boathook, anchor/chain (if you're thinking of going on rivers), spare hammer/mallett for when you drop it in the canal, BW key, handcuff key, spanner for changing gas bottles (if you're on propane), drinking water container, long sharp knife (for cutting stuff off the propellor, essential if you have outboard), and there are some things which in my opinion you can't have too many of - plastic carrier bags, ropes, torches (and those cheap LED lights). As you are GRP fenders also falls into that category. If you can find one, a wire coat hanger will come in handy for all sorts of things. Whatever you take you will inevitably come back with a long list of things to take next time so you also need a notepad and a pencil...

Excellent advice - thanks

Well, after some previous drama on transport today went perfectly and Time Out is happily moored at Aston. Now to practice and getting a few bits and bobs sorted!

Happy days :cheers:

Seen your pics. in the gallery - a tidy looking boat...