River Nene

colin loach

Featured Posts

This is almost a FAQ. Imray publish one, which is not terribly up-to-date but will tell you that there's a lock round the next bend and which side the weirs are. The EA publish a double-sided map on tough waterproof paper which is excellent and free and marks water taps, etc. Sue of "No Problem" blog fame has an online guide which looks very useful. Googling "no problem nene guide" finds it fine.

MP.

Nicholsons have not published a guide to the Nene since 1986. It is significantly out of date by now, surprisingly enough! The locks are all in the same places I guess, but the moorings and local info will be a bit meaningless!

The locks are all in the same places I guess, but the moorings and local info will be a bit meaningless!

so when and where have the moorings moved to? doubt that has changed much as the river is rural not much to change.

the local info i agree would probably have changed but if you scrub out all the pubs, local shops and write tesco in their place i doubt it will be far out! LOL B)

Cant seem to locate the Nicholson guide anywhere

looked on ebay but no joy, but if you search nene / books quite a selection of other titles come up (hope there is something there for you)

edit to add:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_16?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=river+nene+guide&sprefix=river+nene+guide

there you go item no.3 = 12+copies! :cheers:

Edited by hamsterfan

so when and where have the moorings moved to? doubt that has changed much as the river is rural not much to change.

the local info i agree would probably have changed but if you scrub out all the pubs, local shops and write tesco in their place i doubt it will be far out! LOL B)

/quote]

Being as it is so rural, knowing where there are actually moorings on the Nene is pretty crucial - there are so few of them that cruise planning is pretty difficult unless you know where to moor, otherwise you'll end up having to moor on landing stages which is highly irritating to other boaters! My Imray guide is heavily annotated and I've lent it to friends when they went that way. Imray have produced a more up to date guide since ours was produced which may be more accurate but I've not seen it. I would say that No Problem's guide is probably better than any paper guide you can actually buy http://noproblem.org.uk/blog/nene/!

As for new moorings, I've no idea what has changed since 1986 without consulting my own copy of the old Nene Nicholsons Guide which is at home.

Edited by Black Ibis

This is almost a FAQ. Imray publish one, which is not terribly up-to-date but will tell you that there's a lock round the next bend and which side the weirs are. The EA publish a double-sided map on tough waterproof paper which is excellent and free and marks water taps, etc. Sue of "No Problem" blog fame has an online guide which looks very useful. Googling "no problem nene guide" finds it fine.

MP.

Indeed.. Linky

The Imray books are very frustrating - all the writing is in one section and the mapping in another. Consequently you have to keep flipping back and forth to bore your fellow travellers with interesting facts about the section you're passing through. Nicholsons style mile 'pins' would be handy too. The river always travels from bottom to top of the page with a variable 'N' arrow to indicate real North. And there are mistakes (especially in Middle Level bridges!).

In short, they're a bit useless but they're the best we've got. Apart from No Problem's website which is far superior.