Why do GRP cruisers.......

Kessy

Featured Posts

Ooh, feisty!

Still flailing away to little effect then? :lol:

Go on, try really hard. You can if you put your mind to it. ;)

Little effect? You have ceased tryng to argue, and are now just crowing from the tow-path.

Sebrof 1, YMU 0

What is there to argue with? Some crass stereotyping and a cheap attempt to get a rise.

Carry on telling us how there was never any point in changing the law on rape so that it didn't exclude spouses. Give us the history you're so confident you know. Otherwise, there's nothing to engage with.

Can you offer evidence to justify your position or not?

So to be clear just how many people in cruisers are you complaining about.....

Is it now just mainly "4 boats in particular", and you are now saying there is a large number that "very, very rarely cause any kind of over the top wash".

Or is it the "90% of people in Cruisers who go so bloody quick past moored boats", that you started off with ?

Methinks you rather exaggerated in the first place, and have now watered your fairly broad brush complaints against the vast majority of cruiser owners fairly dramatically, (.....haven't you ? :wacko:)

Ok so i exaggerated with the 90%...my bad....still doesn't excuse a lot of the other culprits.

Sebrof, I was unsure whether to ignore your post on the basis that it is typical of the bias against GRP's that snooty twits display or respond with a volley. I'll do the latter

If Juno is unsuitable for canal use, so are many narrow boats, as when I had a 62 foot narrow boat (there, bet you didn't expect me to have had one did you) I often found that narrow boats would catch me up when I went past moorings on tickover, difference is that I recongnised their plight (tickover faster than mine) and added a few revs or waved them past, and in fairness some narrow boat steerers do this for me in Juno.

Your response is a fairly typical "it's plastic, he must be doing something wrong", believe me, I understand how a narrow boat handles far far better than you understand how my boat handles

And it was Juno's older brethen who did much to save the canal network, look at early copies of Waterways World, full of GRP jobbies.

We explored with Ripple, and we will explore with Juno, I'll see you on the Grand Western... oh hang on, no I won't, you can't get there :lol:

Edited by magpie patrick

You clearly have a boat that is not suited to the waterways you use it on.

I would suggest that you need either to modify your boat or to take it somewhere more appropriate.

Someone tell me I didn't really read this bull again

Phylis I'm hoping that that is not aimed directly at me

Not aimed at you in the slightest Bazza.

Rather the OP who seems to be somewhat confused

We hardly ever see GRPs in use. I can't recall noticing one causing us issues, but we rarely know who set us adrift, or who loosened the pins/started pulling the bank away.

Small boats, ie rowers, canoeists,, seem to cause a bit of slapping around against the bank if the ropes are loose (we don't tie up tight on the Oxford because it's fed by rivers and levels change a lot, so it's both a losing battle and dangerous to do so), but we haven't experienced any serious rowers yet. Big boats send you lurching forward, and then back, with a crash into the bank along the way.

It's the strong swells from big bow waves that pull our pins out or pull the bank away. How much difference does the smaller tonnage of a GRP make to their ability to set boats adrift and damage piling?

Use spring lines when mooring and you will lose the "lurching" forwards and then back. The srping lines will limit your forward and back movement and the extra lines will spread the load of the boat around making it less likely your pins will be pulled. It also dampens any snatching on the lines.

Someone tell me I didn't really read this bull again

Afraid I cant Fuzzy. There are just some people who are beyond help

We have always used springs because that is what we were taught the very first time we went out on a boat.

I'm clearly too stupid to know how they help when the level changes a lot, sometimes too rapidly for tight lines to be safe. Please do explain.

We have always used springs because that is what we were taught the very first time we went out on a boat.

I'm clearly too stupid to know how they help when the level changes a lot, sometimes too rapidly for tight lines to be safe. Please do explain.

Spring lines are not tight lines.

We also moor on a river and always use spring lines when mooring. The river we moor on is frequented by very large cruisers so the use of spring lines is the only way to ensure that you stay securely moored up and dont overstress your mooring equipment. The method is simple to use but very effective at stopping surging in moored boats. Spring lines are used on tidal waterways as well where the water levels vary greatly. There is no black art to rigging lines just common sense. Boats can be moored comfortably on loose lines if they are set correctly.

If the lines are loose on the Ozford an over-enthusiastuc duck shifts the boat. :lol:

And the constant back and forth movement can pull huge chunks of bank out. We don't care about being thrown around, we care about being set adrift three times before breakfast (we do get up late, tbf). If the pins don't pull out the bank gives way,

We could plonk ourselves on those nice visitor moorings instead. Too many selfish boaters might force us to be less considerate ourselves next time we hit the Oxford. "I'm not slowing down for every moored boat!" … "Well, screw you too, we'll find ourselves a visitor spot. Hope you don't find them all full of CCers when you come back."

Liveaboads on the Oxford sometimes thank us for slowing down. Half the fisherman we've passed do too. Very sad indictment of boaters in general. There seem to be an awful lot who are selfish, ignorant or both. Not good for the rest of us.

At least we have no fear of maggots getting chucked at us, now we know why it happens. :lol:

If the lines are loose on the Ozford an over-enthusiastuc duck shifts the boat. :lol:

And the constant back and forth movement can pull huge chunks of bank out. We don't care about being thrown around, we care about being set adrift three times before breakfast (we do get up late, tbf). If the pins don't pull out the bank gives way,

We could plonk ourselves on those nice visitor moorings instead. Too many selfish boaters might force us to be less considerate ourselves next time we hit the Oxford. "I'm not slowing down for every moored boat!" … "Well, screw you too, we'll find ourselves a visitor spot. Hope you don't find them all full of CCers when you come back."

Liveaboads on the Oxford sometimes thank us for slowing down. Half the fisherman we've passed do too. Very sad indictment of boaters in general. There seem to be an awful lot who are selfish, ignorant or both. Not good for the rest of us.

At least we have no fear of maggots getting chucked at us, now we know why it happens. :lol:

You cant have it both ways. Your lines are either tight or loose. Are you a little confused today or just winding people up for the sake of it?

Where do you get that from Phyllis?

I think I've explained why lines won't and can't always be tight. If they're loose, we move a lot. This is not a problem until a series of unnecessarily large bow waves go past. It's never one boat that sets us adrift, it's a succession of them, which happens remarkably often given that all boaters should have absorbed the handbook by the time they get on the tiller.

Where do you get that from Phyllis?

I think I've explained why lines won't and can't always be tight. If they're loose, we move a lot. This is not a problem until a series of unnecessarily large bow waves go past. It's never one boat that sets us adrift, it's a succession of them, which happens remarkably often given that all boaters should have absorbed the handbook by the time they get on the tiller.

If you wish.

There does seem to be a lot of pigeon holing here though. Maybe you should look a little closer to home for where the problem lies.

Sebrof, I was unsure whether to ignore your post on the basis that it is typical of the bias against GRP's that snooty twits display or respond with a volley. I'll do the latter

If Juno is unsuitable for canal use, so are many narrow boats, as when I had a 62 foot narrow boat (there, bet you didn't expect me to have had one did you) I often found that narrow boats would catch me up when I went past moorings on tickover, difference is that I recongnised their plight (tickover faster than mine) and added a few revs or waved them past, and in fairness some narrow boat steerers do this for me in Juno.

Your response is a fairly typical "it's plastic, he must be doing something wrong", believe me, I understand how a narrow boat handles far far better than you understand how my boat handles

And it was Juno's older brethen who did much to save the canal network, look at early copies of Waterways World, full of GRP jobbies.

We explored with Ripple, and we will explore with Juno, I'll see you on the Grand Western... oh hang on, no I won't, you can't get there :lol:

I've underlined your erroneous assumptions. Now feel free to try again.

The fact is that 4 mph is sometimes too fast a speed for the canals, and if your boat cannot travel at one or two mph, it's not suitable. I entirely agree that many narrow-boats also appear to be incapable of going slowly enough. But just because you (hypothetically) are not the only shop-lifter in town, doesn't make it right to steal from shops.

What are you talking about? Who am I pigeon-holing? Apart from boaters who habitually speed past moored craft?

It's not their fault, YMU. They own boats that can't go slowly. Give 'em a break, and tie up better.

(I'm just quoting Magpie Patrick here.) :-)

Edited by sebrof

I've underlined your erroneous assumptions. Now feel free to try again.

The fact is that 4 mph is sometimes too fast a speed for the canals, and if your boat cannot travel at one or two mph, it's not suitable. I entirely agree that many narrow-boats also appear to be incapable of going slowly enough. But just because you (hypothetically) are not the only shop-lifter in town, doesn't make it right to steal from shops.

But by your reckoning only the boat on the canal system that can go slowest is suitable, because all the other boats will struggle if they catch it up, Juno can go at under 2mph, but she can't go at under 1mph, and at no point have I said I go faster than 4mph, or even at 4mph, I referred to not causing moored boats a problem at 3mph in my boat, and clearly I can only do that if I'm not following a narrow boat, if I am, and they do say 1.5mph I'm fine

Like I say, by your definition, Ripple probably was the only boat suitable, because believe me she could crawl

Oh, the local narrow boats go aground a lot, can't get into the bank in many places, and make a breaking wash some of the time, Juno doesn't have any of these problems. Clearly the narrow boats are unsuited to the Kennet and Avon given the trouble they have navigating it. :blink:

Your argument is rather like saying that you shouldn't be obliged to observe the 30 mph speed limit because your Ferrari can't go that slowly.

I would suggest that you need either to modify your boat or to take it somewhere more appropriate.

:closedeyes:

And going back to your original point this bit in bold is bollocks, what I'm actually saying is my car, in first gear with my foot off the accelerator, catches your car up, although both are doing under 10mph

Don't feed it Patrick. Turns out it only makes it stupider. :(

See month mooring thread. Oy vey!

Yes, I had noticed

Forbes clearly has a bee in his hypothetical bonnet

What is there to argue with? Some crass stereotyping and a cheap attempt to get a rise.

Carry on telling us how there was never any point in changing the law on rape so that it didn't exclude spouses. Give us the history you're so confident you know. Otherwise, there's nothing to engage with.

Can you offer evidence to justify your position or not?

This thread, YMU, is about GRP boats going too fast. You have already managed to bring rape into another post where it was off-topic; and I do not intend to indulge your obsession in this thread.

I should be very happy to debate any issue you wish using the private message system. Indeed, putting you right would constitute not just a duty but a pleasure.

Toodle-pip.

Clearly the narrow boats are unsuited to the Kennet and Avon given the trouble they have navigating it. :blink:

The canal needs dredging, old boy. That's the problem.

There would be no point at all engaging you in private. You don't think I'm bothering because I find you interesting to talk to, do you?

There's a massive invisible audience judging us. I'm quite, quite delighted with your performance so far. :lol:

Apologies for bringing the rape topic on this thread though. I thought it was the other thread at the time.

Edited by ymu
  • Greenie 1

There would be no point at all engaging you in private. You don't think I'm bothering because I find you interesting to talk to, do you?

There's a massive invisible audience judging us. I'm quite, quite delighted with your performance so far. :lol:

Apologies for bringing the rape topic on this thread though. I thought it was the other thread at the time.

Fair enough. Apology both accepted and appreciated.

:cheers:

It's not their fault, YMU. They own boats that can't go slowly. Give 'em a break, and tie up better.

(I'm just quoting Magpie Patrick here.) :-)

Can we keep narrowboats off the Trent if they cant do 6 knots upstream and 8 knots downstream then?

Maybe the cruiser owners should have said this before the clonecraft had completely muscled in on their dominance...

WhiltonMarina.jpg

Whilton Marina, 1973.

That's a fascinating pic. which I've seen before - ??? possibly at the marina itself.

It's stark isn't it just how uncommon the boats that now are in the vast majority on the cut don't even feature.

That's a fascinating pic. which I've seen before - ??? possibly at the marina itself.

It's stark isn't it just how uncommon the boats that now are in the vast majority on the cut don't even feature.

Its a shame it changed quite so much. There is far more variety there than is on show on most canals nowadays :(