Bullseyes

Chris Pink

Featured Posts

That's a curious drawing, in as much as the 'T' stud on the roof is named "Mooring stud".

Had I produced such a drawing in my technical drawing class at school so smudged and unclear, I would have had to do it again. Mr. Williams would have thrown a fit! But valuable as a drawing nonetheless, as it's the first I've seen showing the 'correct' install for a deck light.

Clearly it is dome down. However, this is part of a G.U.C.C. drawing No.B 43, 14th December 1931. The drawing is entitled 'Cabin woodwork details for a steel motor'. The view of the other (range) side shows the Bullseye dome up, but with no dimensions. (Mr. Williams would disapprove of the omission!)

DrawingscroppedMedium.jpg

I wonder how much of the actual fitting was down to those doing the work - both in the drawing, and in the fitting. As the majority I have seen to date are dome upp'ards, clearly whilst they may have got it 'wrong', it seems to have worked well enough. Perhaps a yard foreman thought more light would be gained from dome up - who knows. From a drawing point of view, it looks 'right' dome up, and a bit cack handed dome down. But that's just from a visual point of view, and an opinion.

It comes out a bit fuzzy due to reduction in size. Much clearer off the CD.

Edited to add:

Interestingly, with regard to cabin finishing the drawing also states:

"Inside of cabin to be grained & varnished, and panels to be painted with floral design, all in accordance with the usual canal boat practice."

It's different on the 'cut'.

Edited by Derek R.

Being in the process om making a new deckboard, and having both the original* deckboard and a Harland and Wolff drawing in front of us, we have concluded that sometimes the drawings were honoured more in the breach than in the observance.

*AFAIK - it has the GU fleet number stamped in it at any rate. It may not original as in the very first one, but guessing that means it's GU issue. Could be BW? (too well made??)

That's a curious drawing, in as much as the 'T' stud on the roof is named "Mooring stud".

Had I produced such a drawing in my technical drawing class at school so smudged and unclear, I would have had to do it again. Mr. Williams would have thrown a fit! But valuable as a drawing nonetheless, as it's the first I've seen showing the 'correct' install for a deck light.

Clearly it is dome down. However, this is part of a G.U.C.C. drawing No.B 43, 14th December 1931. The drawing is entitled 'Cabin woodwork details for a steel motor'. The view of the other (range) side shows the Bullseye dome up, but with no dimensions. (Mr. Williams would disapprove of the omission!)

DrawingscroppedMedium.jpg

I wonder how much of the actual fitting was down to those doing the work - both in the drawing, and in the fitting. As the majority I have seen to date are dome upp'ards, clearly whilst they may have got it 'wrong', it seems to have worked well enough. Perhaps a yard foreman thought more light would be gained from dome up - who knows. From a drawing point of view, it looks 'right' dome up, and a bit cack handed dome down. But that's just from a visual point of view, and an opinion.

It comes out a bit fuzzy due to reduction in size. Much clearer off the CD.

Edited to add:

Interestingly, with regard to cabin finishing the drawing also states:

"Inside of cabin to be grained & varnished, and panels to be painted with floral design, all in accordance with the usual canal boat practice."

It's different on the 'cut'.

The "B" series drawings cannot be entirely relied upon as they were the "drafts" sent to various yards who then in the case of H&W and Yarwoods re drew the drawing to suit their own construction methods. The drawing shown in your posting is at an inspired guess the generic one for the "Royalty" class, "mooring stud" says it all!